Sub Woofer

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#151 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

ed wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 9:07 pm An observation:

RD appears to believe that any body that uses test equipment would be an 'objectivist'. First define objectivist, but even if you don't define it the generalisation is rubbish whatever definition you use.

I use test equipment but I don't consider myself an objectivist(using a general understanding of the word)...

The following is an extract from my web page:
Final designs have been arrived at by empirical methods and are the result of many cycles of listening and adjusting. We firmly believe that the frequency response graph does not necessarily identify the best sounding loudspeaker. Although computer measurement and testing is employed, at Hand Made Audio the final arbiter of a good design is a pair of human ears. In this respect it should be your ears.
This paragraph has been on my web page for 10 years, so I consider myself a subjectivist that uses test equipment for some tasks.

Somebody here seems to be tarring people without cause.
Ah! so you are undeclared trade (to me) so a vested interest. My statement was very much "if the cap fits, wear it".
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#152 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by Ray P »

Having read the mail thread posted by Dr. Bunsen from the bottom my first thought is that it was not a good idea to publish Nick's contact details (or anyone else's for that matter).
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#153 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by pre65 »

And I thought "private messages" were, or should be, private ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#154 Re: Sub Woofer

Ray P wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 9:27 pm Having read the mail thread posted by Dr. Bunsen from the bottom my first thought is that it was not a good idea to publish Nick's contact details (or anyone else's for that matter).
Removed
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#155 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by Scottmoose »

What 'lies' would those be Richard? I have never heard a single piece of NVA equipment, know nothing about it, and care even less. No interest. So I couldn't comment even if I wanted to, which I don't.

What I said is that I have heard a pair of speakers that you have modified, and implied I didn't think they were up to much. Since you have seen fit to indulge yourself abusing me for page after page of several threads, primarily concerning speakers you have neither heard nor understand, a brief 1 1/2 line remark about a pair of your own that I have heard, with a little wry humour mixed in, seemed only fair.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#156 Re: Sub Woofer

You can see from the PM exchange with Nick why I called it lies. He then admitted you had heard them. You will have to sort it out with him about going against your word to him!!
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#157 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by Scottmoose »

Hardly. Nick is a friend, and nobody said anything about concealing our views.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#158 Re: Sub Woofer

So why did he say this in the PM exchange, are you calling your friend a liar.

"So much for keeping things private until we get to the bottom. I took those speakers over to Colins as he has the more powerful mosfet amps at the moment.

I mistakenly assumed that Scott would realise that I wanted him to not post. I am sorry for that."

And the reply from me and then from him.

From me "I don't blame you, the man is an arse!"

From him "In this case I think I agree with you."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#159 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by pre65 »

Richard, are you not aware of what "assumed" means ? :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#160 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Another interesting thread , somewhat derailed by people taking conflict over ideas personally .

Ed you sound like a women obsessed with size of her arse. For does my bum look big in this substitute "how on earth do you know what I am playing with" it was a general statement if it doesn't apply to you , be SILENT in the knowledge it is not applicable.

A few observations -

The point of doc mods is to make what you have better easily and cost effectively . NVA do of course build their own speakers . Any comparison of the modded b&w is only legitimate in my opinion in direct comparison to the originals. I would not say it makes all speakers world beaters. The speaker dimensions and drivers are what they are .

On the speakers I have moddeded , I have experimented with 4 capacitors and a dozen resistor values , before settling on the one I prefer, it is very much a personal opinion thing , indeed that is one the attractions you can specifically tailor it your preference .
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Thu May 04, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#161 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by Daniel Quinn »

pre65 wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 9:25 am Richard, are you not aware of what "assumed" means ? :lol:
If it tell you not to say anything , I will assume you will not . The issue here is what basis upon Nick assumed moose would not say anything , but it is unimportant and largely academic as it is a reasonable assumption that as far as RD is concerned moose cannot help behaving like a cock .
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#162 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by Scottmoose »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 9:21 am So why did he say this in the PM exchange, are you calling your friend a liar.

"So much for keeping things private until we get to the bottom. I took those speakers over to Colins as he has the more powerful mosfet amps at the moment.

I mistakenly assumed that Scott would realise that I wanted him to not post. I am sorry for that."

And the reply from me and then from him.

From me "I don't blame you, the man is an arse!"

From him "In this case I think I agree with you."
Nick may have assumed something. He did not request it, nor was any undertaking given to conceal my views. QED. And after the pages of drivel you have presumed to hurl at me, a 1 1/2 line ironical comment is a minor return indeed. One might conclude you are happy to dole out abuse, but cannot stand even the slightest hint of criticism yourself.

Oh -and Nick is welcome to call me anything he likes. And I'm sure he does. ;)
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#163 Re: Sub Woofer

I am perfectly happy with criticism, that is why they were sent to Nick, do you not have the intelligence to realise that. What you said was not criticism, it was an insult for effect. The point of the exercise was constructive criticism which can be seen clearly from the posts that led to me offering them to him. I presumed having seen Dave the Bass's thread that Nick would realise this was a personal process open for him to contribute to it, as has happened in *EVERY OTHER* occasion Doc Mods have been used. There is a constant reference to *use your ears* from the start to the end of the process. OK most work has been done on those B&Ws and at least two people have played with adjustment on the tweeter, so I don't know where it is at the moment, it sounds like no resistor from what Nick says.

He could even add more dope or more steel plate if he wants, but just doing the tweeter will explain the process, which was the point of the exercise. These are not a commercial project as DQ says, they are a way to counter the daft bullshit you and others put out about speaker design, you try to over complicate to try and convince people how clever you are, you could say I over simplify it, but it is way to make people re-think what is becoming yet another daft hi-fi / forums folklaw, with you as one of the lead pretend Gurus.
ed
retired

#164 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by ed »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 9:26 am Another interesting thread , somewhat derailed by people taking conflict over ideas personally .

Ed you sound like a women obsessed with size of her arse. For does my bum look big in this substitute "how on earth do you know what I am playing with" it was a general statement if it doesn't apply to you , be SILENT in the knowledge it is not applicable.
and what I sound like is applicable to you in what regard?????
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#165 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by Daniel Quinn »

In my enjoyment of the thread , stop bleating on like Vicky Pollard . Please.
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Thu May 04, 2017 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.