Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#196 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Scottmoose »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:47 pmAre you telling us some people are not looking for best enjoyment of their music :roll: hi-fi bullshit in a bubble. You are explaining one of the main things wrong with our industry / hobby.
Yes, I'm saying that the vast majority of people sadly are not all that interested in outright sound quality, and the fault as far as that goes can be partially laid at the door of the hi-fi industry. It is likely that some of these people would become interested, if approached in the right way.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
cressy
Shed dweller

#197 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by cressy »

Sorry to hear about dave, i had no idea he was ill. He has my best wishes, and taking it slow is definiely the way to go.
They were lovely things, Id have liked to have built some as I remember thinking at the time that they did something i liked but couldnt put my finger on
Cheers ant
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#198 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Cressy Snr »

Bloody hell Scott. I'd wondered what was going on with Dave D, because he wasn't putting anything out on DIYAudio,
Which is not like him. Give him my best wishes next time you talk to him if you would please. :(
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#199 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Cressy Snr »

Scottmoose wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:05 pm
Yes, I'm saying that the vast majority of people sadly are not all that interested in outright sound quality, and the fault as far as that goes can be partially laid at the door of the hi-fi industry. It is likely that some of these people would become interested, if approached in the right way.
Yep, they need to be approached with products that are reasonably priced, no mystique attached to them no bullshit, and that look great in the home and sound fantastic, otherwise it is going to be nigh on impossible to wean them off their Bose Wave Radios, which are good for what they are, but...... :wink:
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#200 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Scottmoose »

Of course I will guys. It's not a secret, but obviously not something that we've made too much of a noise about. Short version, he had a massive aorta bleed. Result of a viral infection; there's a name for it I can't recall off hand. Suffice it to say, very nasty & he was lucky to survive, but he spent some time in an ICU & now rehab wards. He's undergoing physio at the moment to get his legs etc. working again; slow process, & it does have a mental toll too; his concentration etc. is very short at present. Chris, Cal and I, along with a few others, are doing what we can to help. I haven't been able to speak with him yet, but hope to do so in the not-too-distant future.

Re the little double-terminus boxes, I'll dig the plans out for you if you like Ant. No big deal. If you haven't an old pair of 127s, I can tweak them a bit for a current unit if you like.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#201 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by pre65 »

[quote=Scottmoose
Re the little double-terminus boxes, I'll dig the plans out for you if you like Ant. No big deal. If you haven't an old pair of 127s, I can tweak them a bit for a current unit if you like.
[/quote]

Ant, if you are in need of older 127s, give me a shout.

I have a good pair I would part with. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#202 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Scottmoose »

Yep, they need to be approached with products that are reasonably priced, no mystique attached to them no bullshit, and that look great in the home and sound fantastic, otherwise it is going to be nigh on impossible to wean them off their Bose Wave Radios, which are good for what they are, but...... :wink:
Too right. But that's been the trouble with hi-fi for years. Too much nonsense, not enough engineering, which is another word (as far as I'm concerned) for 'design', and should involve both objective and subjective assessment.

Bo$e depresses me. :( Amar Bose was a good researcher, he certainly had a good ear & knew what he wanted. Look at the 901 -very effective within its remit. But the bean counters ultimately took over.
cressy
Shed dweller

#203 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by cressy »

If you could Scott that'd be good, i'll have a look what drivers ive got knocking about
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#204 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

"not enough engineering"

Too much engineering, enough is enough, more is too much. Especially when it is just for the sake of it, because you (who ever) can do it.

It is very simple engineering, basic, it is not complicated mathematics and physics. At that level the equations just lie to you, your ears don't.
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#205 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:47 pm Are you telling us some people are not looking for best enjoyment of their music :roll: hi-fi bullshit in a bubble. You are explaining one of the main things wrong with our industry / hobby.
The thing that makes me laugh the most is when you read a write up of a piece of gear either in a formal review or a forum post, where it goes on about how ruthlessly revealing and accurate it is to the extent that it lays bare all the flaws in a poor recording, thereby by implication making it unlistenable.

Errmmmmm.....

I though the point of a hifi setup was to listen to music. And not all music is well recorded - I'd say probably 5% of my LP collection was 'audiophile-grade'.

So what's the point of something that makes you not want to listen to 90%+ of your music collection?

It certainly looks to me as though the boutique 'high end' is rapidly disappearing up its own arse heading for implosion. And out of the rubble will come artisans like the Doc, Steve, Nick - holding the same values that Peter Walker and Harold Leak and others did. Maybe, slowly, the general populace will start to get interested in good sound again. But the speakers have to leave room for people and furniture and bookcases and chairs and stuff.

I dunno. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic. Had one too many G&T's tonight :drunken:
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#206 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Cressy Snr »

Couldn't have put it better myself Dave. :D
Apart from speakers in the middle of rooms, another argument I got into a few years ago now
was a thread on another forum where I argued that "There are no bad recordings, only bad hi-fis"
That provoked a nice storm of indignation from those with as they put it "high resolution" systems.
The thread got locked. :lol:
Jimmy Hughes made the same argument in the late 80s and got a storm of indignant letters to the editor in HiFi Answers.
To quote him (I think) he wrote.
"If a hi-fi system sits so poised on a knife edge that it makes 90% of your records unlistenable, then it's no bloody use...period"
I put the blame firmly on Jimmy and Ken for my philosophies. :mrgreen:
Nick
Site Admin

#207 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Nick »

another argument I got into a few years ago now
was a thread on another forum where I argued that "There are no bad recordings, only bad hi-fis"
That provoked a nice storm of indignation from those with as they put it "high resolution" systems.
I have to say that I think this is a bit of a strawman argument. It may be true of flat earth stuff, I dont know for sure. But I have heard some expensive systems, and few if any of them make less good recordings unlistenenable, if they did, they would be broken, often I have found a high resolution (for want of a better phrase) will make what sounds like a bad recording on a lesser system sound better. I think the reason for what you describe, is many of the people who pay huge amounts of money on systems, dont want to listen to less perfect recordings, because it forces them to realise that whatever they have spent, its the music that has the final say. Their OCD tends to upset them in this situation.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#208 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Cressy Snr »

Scottmoose wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:07 pm
Bo$e depresses me. :( Amar Bose was a good researcher, he certainly had a good ear & knew what he wanted. Look at the 901 -very effective within its remit. But the bean counters ultimately took over.
Ah the wonderful Bose 901.
Harrogate, around 1980. What a pedigree sound. I had never heard anything sound so lifelike, at least not until I heard Quad electrostatics in Ross Walker's room at the Sound With Style show, Victoria Hotel, Sheffield 1998 or thereabouts.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#209 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Cressy Snr »

Nick wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:24 am
another argument I got into a few years ago now
I have to say that I think this is a bit of a strawman argument. It may be true of flat earth stuff, I dont know for sure. But I have heard some expensive systems, and few if any of them make less good recordings unlistenenable, if they did, they would be broken, often I have found a high resolution (for want of a better phrase) will make what sounds like a bad recording on a lesser system sound better. I think the reason for what you describe, is many of the people who pay huge amounts of money on systems, dont want to listen to less perfect recordings, because it forces them to realise that whatever they have spent, its the music that has the final say. Their OCD tends to upset them in this situation.
Oh yes, sorry, It was the Flat Earth I was talking about and I think Jimmy Hughes was talking about the same. He'd by then become pissed off with Linn/Naim and had moved to a Krell amp/Impulse speaker setup. Nevertheless, IME, you only need a bit of a peak in the midrange to make good recordings have incredible "presence, clarity, bite or whatever, but less good recordings irritating to listen to.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#210 Re: Up-Firing Metronome in Larson Pyramid Style

Post by Ray P »

Steve, I'm thinking about a pair of your omelettes :lol: for my home cinema system. Do you have drawings with dimensions/angles available? Or, perhaps, you're considering selling drawings/cabinets/speakers as part of your new artisan enterprise?

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!