Doc Mods

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#181 Re: Doc Mods

Post by Dave the bass »

I'll be bring my modded DL8's to Owster's too Nick, they're at the slightly bigger end of the usual standmounter sizes and 'do' bass OK (IMO). It could be interesting to hear doped driver family traits.

FWIW, mine need driving harder too in comparison to before the doping process but I'm still happy with the sound they make so I've left them as is at 15R (IIRC) and 3u3 on the replacement horn tweeter.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#182 Re: Doc Mods

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I think I know why this happened. As standard with that doped bass driver I use a Visaton G20 SC 8ohm (or my doped cheap Chinese special). For some reason, I forget why as it was a while ago, those B&W mods were fitted with Visaton G25 FFS 8ohm. G20 is for 3khz up and the G25 for 2khz up, so the G25 was giving too much output at the wrong points. Down to me I should have noticed, but lots of things being done at the time and these went very quickly to Dave (DSJR) who had them on loan and seemed happy with them, so I didn't investigate them. They were never a feature here in my system. Thanks Nick for finding it and sorting them out.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#183 Re: Doc Mods

Post by Dave the bass »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 3:32 pm Visaton G25 FFS 8ohm
A special 'sweary' tweeter unit? :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#184 Re: Doc Mods

:oops: FFL
Nick
Site Admin

#185 Re: Doc Mods

Post by Nick »

It was certainly swearing at me with the larger cap.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
DSJR
User

#186 Re: Doc Mods

Post by DSJR »

I posted a response on HFS and am glad the revised cap has all but sorted them. I loved the hear-through clarity they had here and the NVA amps used have no added grain or hardness to magnify any 'issue' like this. All my amps here are powerful enough so the loss of efficiency didn't matter and the desktop mounting arrangement I had was fine for the bass quality available, the siting helping everything down to mid bass at least and never booming in the slightest...

I was warned these B&W based models were purely the 'raw truth' of what could be done and of course the forward facing main driver will behave differently to one's ears than had it been on the top of the boxes. I found them direct in a kind of 'monitor' sense and reported it at the time. In some ways they could be a bit 'much' in my workroom system but I seriously missed their openness and lack of time-smear (ghastly description, but you get the idea I hope) once they were returned. I'd love the chance to hear them again in revised-cap form, but someone may offer proper money for them first of course :)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#187 Re: Doc Mods

Post by IslandPink »

DSJR wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 7:22 pm ... and the NVA amps used have no added grain or hardness to magnify any 'issue' like this.
Unlike Nick's amps ? :D
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#188 Re: Doc Mods

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 7:51 pm
DSJR wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 7:22 pm ... and the NVA amps used have no added grain or hardness to magnify any 'issue' like this.
Well, actually, this was with the 25W Pass Labs F5 clone, which is certainly not know for grain or such nasties. Of course if they were used as computer monitors then its possible you didn’t need to drive them hard enough to cause the tweeter to scream enough.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
DSJR
User

#189 Re: Doc Mods

Post by DSJR »

They were used in the workroom system. Nowhere to place the speakers anywhere else and they were used with vinyl and CD too, as well as FM radio and the PC as a digital source. Given a chance, I play this system loud and certainly had the steel-lined cabinets vibrating well ;)
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#190 Re: Doc Mods

IslandPink wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 7:51 pm
You are seeing comments as criticism that doesn't exist. Perhaps you should look to your own motivation.
Nick
Site Admin

#191 Re: Doc Mods

Post by Nick »

Lighten up. I do question the scare quotes around issue though. The problem I heard was real enough.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#192 Re: Doc Mods

No I wont! I do not question what you hear, and I value your opinion and expertise, what I object to is an arseholes seeing conflict where it doesn't exist. How could he possibly turn a comment and opinion about NVA amps into a comment about your designs unless he was just sitting there waiting to see it.

Do you see the connection, because I don't. All I see is someone, part of the usual gang, looking for an opportunity to diss and make trouble.
Nick
Site Admin

#193 Re: Doc Mods

Post by Nick »

No, I see as before paranoia on your part making you see an enemy where in fact Mark is on your side WRT driver treatment, just taking the piss. Ironically, its you in this case who is seeing conflict where it doesn’t exist.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#194 Re: Doc Mods

Well it is there for others to read and judge if it is paranoia. New morning new eyes I still see it! If as you say it is just a joke then having observed the past attacks here, it is a joke in poor taste IMO.
DSJR
User

#195 Re: Doc Mods

Post by DSJR »

To clarify, my comments about the 'sound' of NVA's as I hear them genuinely wasn't intended IN THE SLIGHTEST against anyone else's amps and Nicks designs didn't even feature on my radar, so apologies if anyone thought I was having a subtle dig, as my mind genuinely doesn't work that way (in other words, doesn't work) - ask my wife! One of the main points about NVA amps as a breed is this lack of grain and 'messiness' that appears in so many commercial alternatives I find. Nick 'reacted' to the speaker's sonics more than I did, researched what was happening and he tells us he's fixed it. If possible, I want to hear them again!