Doc Mods

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Mudshark
Old Hand

#166 Re: Doc Mods

Post by Mudshark »

OIL AV A BIT OF AT AKTION DOC...........Dikhead.
Mudshark
Old Hand

#167 Re: Doc Mods

Post by Mudshark »

Doc mods bullshit.. :twisted:
These so called mods have been done long before Doc sprouted off about em.....
folks been experimental mental since Deep Purples..made in Japan.

But its Doc mods now..m......... :bounce: :bounce: :alien: :bounce: :alien:

Bollocks.

Doc mods.......Show us the fukin patent.
Mudshark
Old Hand

#168 Re: Doc Mods

Post by Mudshark »

Doc mods my arse........Took a leaf out of Allison/ Joe Royds note books.
Michael L
Old Hand

#169 Re: Doc Mods

Post by Michael L »

Paul Barker wrote:I am enjoying this thread and learning and hoping everyone taking part keeps it on topic and respectful to the knowledge base of the originator whether you are or are not in agreeance. the thread is greta and deserves to be set free of personalities.
Doesn't seem to be working.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#170 Re: Doc Mods

Post by Paul Barker »

Michael L wrote:
Paul Barker wrote:I am enjoying this thread and learning and hoping everyone taking part keeps it on topic and respectful to the knowledge base of the originator whether you are or are not in agreeance. the thread is greta and deserves to be set free of personalities.
Doesn't seem to be working.
I hadn't seen that toraid (that word wont be spelled right, that I am sure of, but if I were talking you would understand me, get over it) of abuse which explains why Bunsen didn't answer my questions. Nothing more I can say, the situations speaks for itself, I can't fix it. We live among bitter people.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#171 Re: Doc Mods

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

What questions didn't I answer, if I don't I normally explain the reason - try again.

Jammy has done this before lots of times, the following morning *normally* he has a really bad head and regrets it. The man is a curates egg, you have to put up with the bad to get the good, but may be this is now his swan song. I apologise you got it as I put a temp stop on him posting at HFS until he sobered up, so you got it all here. I am about to activate him on HFS and we will see if it was genuine or the drink.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#172 Re: Doc Mods

Post by Paul Barker »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:What questions didn't I answer, if I don't I normally explain the reason - try again.

Jammy has done this before lots of times, the following morning *normally* he has a really bad head and regrets it. The man is a curates egg, you have to put up with the bad to get the good, but may be this is now his swan song. I apologise you got it as I put a temp stop on him posting at HFS until he sobered up, so you got it all here. I am about to activate him on HFS and we will see if it was genuine or the drink.
I've forgoten now bud, but I'm a little behind actually geting on with anything. We have to work when its harvets, winter is my harvets in the heating industry. I long for summer right now, when I get to spend two hours walking on the beach in work time becuase thye have no work for me. Makes up for the now when I carry on working until all the breakdows called in that day are completed, however long past the time I am on pay that takes. So was only discoursing with you on these things mmetaphorically. The plans are rela the speakers exist, but the activitiy is in my wishfull thinking part of my grey matter.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
rowuk
Old Hand

#173 Re: Doc Mods

Post by rowuk »

It is always interesting when it gets ugly. Then you find out about the real qualities, and if they are worth paying attention to.

In this case someone builds a speaker with easily definable flaws and trashes those that point it out.

There is nothing wrong with empirical evidence - for ones own ears. For those of us that also experiment, we certainly have plenty of evidence to bring to the table. Someone solely on transmit never does pick up that information however.

When distortion (geometrical, tonal) is the goal, we can follow the minimalist approach and often get things that are listenable (at least on certain types of music). If our taste is more "refined", many things are simply not acceptable, regardless of the half truths.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#174 Re: Doc Mods

Complete nonsense, you need to open you mind and look laterally, that is all I did. Not one person who has done these mods has regretted it, loads of experience available now mostly at www.hifisubjectivist.org no one with experience of them has had your results. Why don't you try it and then you can react to it from a position of experience.

This it not new, parts of it have been used by others including well known designers such as Roy Allison, Robin Marshall, Joe Acroyd and others. Though I have never seen a combination as this and some of the ways it is done by anyone else.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#175 Re: Doc Mods

Post by pre65 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:31 am Sigh! Once again about 20 try-ers at HFS, none have gone back. Don't you understand, each stage is reversible there is NO RISK, being done in stages each stage can be got used to and has validity as a stand alone. So basically you have wasted your time with your warning apart from inserting your ego in the thread.
EACH STAGE IS REVERSIBLE, THERE IS NO RISK

I think this is what Colin must have seen.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#176 Re: Doc Mods

Arse! per usual, quoted out of context to create conflict. That is why we put doping as *the last* mod, up to then it is reversible and should be done in the order as stated. By that time the modder should be confident enough to carry on. And that stage most people get the Doc Mod drivers.
karatestu
User

#177 Re: Doc Mods

Post by karatestu »

In my case i bought a pair of 70's 3 way beasts with knackered drivers for peanuts. Ordered 12" and 5" doc modded bass and mid from Doc to go with a Visaton G25 ffl tweeter.

I have not received the drivers yet but i am excited about doing this. The results will be assessed by my ears, nothing more.

Stu
:bigsmurf:
Tarkers
User

#178 Re: Doc Mods

Post by Tarkers »

Thought I'd keep the thread alive as another happy Doc Modder. I went the whole hog with a pair of 80s standmounters, partly forced by the fact that one tweeter was playing up and the surround disintegrated on a bass driver. I did it all in one go due to the driver issues. The selected bass driver was similar to the one Doc uses (may be the same one for all I know). The doping was straightforward and the recommended 3.3uF cap and 12 ohm resistor are there or thereabouts. Having run a pair of ScanDyna 30 speakers for a year, also with a simple cap and resistor on the tweeter and the bass driver unfiltered, I was aware of how well such a setup could work.

The upshot of it is that I have no particular desire to seek out other commercial or DIY solutions, but do plan to incorporate all the Doc Mod design elements either into a modest DIY floorstander using the same drivers or a cube semi-omni type design. The former is probably favourite at the moment. If the former, then pair of different drivers I have lying around may well find their way into a trial smaller cube semi-omni for the TV system.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#179 Re: Doc Mods

Post by pre65 »

I see there are limits to the Doc mods.

http://hifisubjectivist.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48430

Fair play though, you gave them a good try. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#180 Re: Doc Mods

Post by Nick »

I had a weekend of getting less done than I originally planned, mainly due to stuff not arriving when hoped. But I did have a play with the modified speakers that DrB sent me some time ago.

When I first tried them, they needed huge amounts of power to get any volume from them, and at the same time most of what I could hear was the tweeter distortion. I heard much the same when I took them to Colins place. Putting them against a wall helped by bringing the bass up, but I could still hear the tweeter having a hard life.

So DrB suggested I tweak the resistor in series with the tweeter. Took them apart, and it had a 12R and 3u3 cap in series. Having a quick measure with some pink noise and a phone app like Steve uses showed a interesting peak at 4k. I would guess about where I heard the nastiness. But the HF and LF were about the same level, so I didn't want to alter the resistor as the overall levels seemed about right. The 4k peak made me wonder if the tweeter and woofer were overlapping more than they should, so I tried a 2u3 cap in place of the 3u3 cap (well actually two 4u7 in series as that's what I had on hand), the measurement now showed the peak at 4k had gone away, and listening to them it was much better. TBH, very much better, I have had a couple of evening listening to them now, and they do do a lot of things right, lowest bass is missing, but given the size of the box its rather impressive. The tweeters are held in with bluetac at the moment, and keep falling out.

I have some caps on order, and will try 2u2 and 2u to see what's better, and then glue the tweeter back and take them to Owston.

Still needs shedloads of power to get any volume, and I don't think they can do the loudness I would need for a 100% of the time speaker, they wont replace the OB's as they stand, but its rather annoying that they have made me aware of some things that fostek could be doing better.

I have to now believe there is merit to treating the cone. I will have to get those Graham 5/9's and try them just to make sure I am not being impressed by the difference instead of some absolute value in them.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.