#31 Re: New build 2-way stand mount speakers

Post by Dave the bass »

Overhillandunderdale?
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

#32 Re: New build 2-way stand mount speakers

Post by Nick »

Dave the bass wrote:Overhillandunderdale?
We already have that shop

https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/101 ... m2!3m1!1e1
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#33 Re: New build 2-way stand mount speakers

Post by Dave the bass »

Hot Dang!

OK, howsabout ....erm....errr.....ooooo! I'mpoppingdownthepubforabagofcrispsandale?
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#34 Re: New build 2-way stand mount speakers

Post by pre65 »

is a crisp sandale want a Spanish vegetarian wears on his feet ? :lol: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
cressy
Shed dweller

#35 Re: New build 2-way stand mount speakers

Post by cressy »

Dibbdale?
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#36 veneering the raw ply cabinets

Post by Toppsy »

I am just finishing the second pair of these speakers for someone on the AoS forum and thought I'd post up on the veneering process.
Thought I'd post up how one gets from the raw leafs of the veneer to the finished covered cabinets.
I don't like using the sheet paper backed veneer as this costs more per sq.m to buy and you can't properly book match the speakers. It also can look a little like the plastic wrap around coverings after you have applied the finishes. So I stick to buying a consecutively cut bundle of raw leaf veneer.
First stage is to select a pair of consecutive cut leaves from your bundle:
Image.

Next up cut down to individual lengths corresponding to the sides, back and front of the cabinets:
Image.

Next up turn over one of the leaves and join down the middle to form a mirrored pair:
Image.

When placed in a line the veneer grain should be continuous:
Image.

Now apply glue to the cabinet and the back face of the veneer panel and glue in place. Repeat the procedure for all sides, back and front panel:
Image Image.

Allow a good 24-hrs for the glue to harden and then apply 3 or 4 coats of acrylic varnish with UV inhibitors rubbing down between each coat. You should end up with a beautiful finished pair of cabinets. This is an image of the original prototype cabinet I built. Image.

This process can take about 3-days to complete what with having to wait for coats of varnish to dry. Of course one can always use an Oil finish to speed things along but then with time the patina of the veneer will darken quite considerably with time and exposure to UV light.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#37 Re: New build 2-way stand mount speakers

Post by Cressy Snr »

That's extremely helpful Colin. :D

Cheers. :occasion5:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#38 Re: New build 2-way stand mount speakers

Post by Toppsy »

Steve,
The actual process is really straight forward and looks easy, but it has taken me a few years and several builds to get to where I am now with my veneer finishing. Practice makes perfect and I'm still perfecting the process. The problem one has is ones own speakers matching the quality of finish of professional known speaker manufacturers and that is the hard bit. Hand applying any varnish finish regardless how careful one is it still does not have the same unblemished finish of a sprayed on coating and that is what folk judge you one when they view the speakers in the flesh. Don't matter how good the speaker sounds it's the finish that matters and this especially applies to the woman of the house who has a big say when it comes to the bloke of the house wanting a new pair of speakers. Unless of course they are bachelors. Next on my to buy list for this year is a professional spray gun and compressor outfit. Or negotiate a working partnership with a local spray shop.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#39 Re: New build 2-way stand mount speakers

Post by Cressy Snr »

Totally agree Colin. The veneering process is a skilled job, requiring vacuum presses and operating theatre conditions if a flawless finish is to be obtained. Furthermore, stuff such as that damned fugly (IMO) piano black is way beyond the man in the shed's facilities, even if he were a traditional coach painter.

That's the problem for the small operator, when faced with automated cabinet making and finishing plants in China. You have two hopes of competing with that; Bob Hope and no hope.
Shitty, cheap drivers and boom/tizz boxes that are flawlessly finished, will always trump the fantastic sounding, but hand finished product. The marketing men know this, have it all down pat and the hapless punter never knows what they are missing because they never get exposed to anything better.
What's more, 99% of civilians couldn't give a monkeys about high quality sound, and most of the 1% that do care are so hog tied by the speaker in the middle of the room philosophy that has been shoved down their throats since the 80s, that it is small wonder that most women hate speakers.
Something needs to change. You and Scott need to be one of the agents of that change. You know it makes sense :wink:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
shane
Social outcast

#40 Re: New build 2-way stand mount speakers

Post by shane »

What do you use to cut the veneers with, Colin?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#41 Re: New build 2-way stand mount speakers

Post by Toppsy »

shane wrote:What do you use to cut the veneers with, Colin?
Scalpel with No10A blade and/or Stanley Knife