Alpair12P gen2 stand-mount speakers

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Chris661 wrote
It'll be September before I can make it over there - the coast-to-coast ride is fast approaching, and then I'm on holiday after that.
Don't worry about that Chris, I doubt very much Scott and I shall have anything sorted on Andrew's speakers before then.

Your experiemntal proposals should be interesting , so give us a call when you have the spare time to come over. Weekends would be best.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Received 'un understood Mr T.

It'll likely be the 8th/9th of September - I get back from holidays on the 3rd, and move to Sheffield on the 15/16th.
chrisby
User

Post by chrisby »

Well, since Scott's Pensil design was named a few posts back, I can attest that the 12P works quite well in the Super version - not however a tiny box, and some folks might have an issue with driver centered at only 30" .

With a 4" pair of trestle stands I didn't find vertical dispersion to be an issue settled in my cozy chair- nor did it seem to suffer from lack of bass. Dave will be hosting a DIY geekfest starting this Friday, and they'll probably get a chance to play in a much larger room and with a range of amp types - this'll be an acid test.

Well, probably most of us have outgrown the last part, but those flashbacks can last decades

:D
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

I have managed to find some time over this last Bank Holiday weekend to cover one of the speakers and pedestal stands. Still have to cover the base of this stand and then tackle the other speaker. This Birch Burr is very nice to work with and goes on easy. I have finished it with clear acrylic satin varnish and a final coat of polish rubbed in with fine wire wool to cut back some of the sheen of the varnish. My son Simon thinks they look like CORK boxes. Bloody cheek. What do kids of today know, Bah and humbug I say.

Anyway over on DiyAudio they wanted some update photos so I thought I'd share them here. Indoor photos with close up flas doesn't do the finish any great justice and I'll take some better photos in daylight (no flash) when they are completely finished. However, here's some photos of the one I've covered to date.

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Heheheheheheheheeh (etc).

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

March that DTB to the river, I say! They look great, Colin. Well done!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Dave the bass wrote:

Heheheheheheheheeh (etc).

DTB
There was a man called Michael Finnegan--------- :wink: :lol: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Give it up Dave, you've been trying to grow that beard for 10 years now. just face it, it's never gonna happen. :D
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

I feel I should mention that these speakers and the stands are NOT to be offered as a commercial product. They have been built for my own personal use, as I needed a small speaker for the A12P drivers and Scott duly obliged with these great sounding small and simple to build BR speakers.

If you want a pair of stands similar to the ones here then I suggest you contact Ed Swift via 'Vitalstates' to make you a pair. He may even be prepared to make you a pair of the cabinets to go with his stands?

However, anyone who fancies building the 16L cabinets for the A12P drivers can find the details that Scott posted up freely on DiyAudio forum pages, in the Markaudio commercial section of that forum.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

It's been a while since anyone posted up some speakers so as I've been playing around with alterntive finishes to real wood veneer thought I'd post some photos of the MarkAudio Alpair 12P standmount speakers that have spray painted sides and covered in Silver/Grey Carbon Fibre vinyl wrap. The sort of stuff that is used on cars. This is so easy to apply and will easily go around compound curves. It alos comes in a vast array of colours and finish types.

I just need to design some some stands to go with them.

I may be bringing these to the next Owston meet.

Again they are not the best of resoltion photos and look much better in the flesh. Judge for yourselves at Owston, hey :wink:
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I quite like that finish Colin. :)

I think this next Owston is going to be a corker. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)