NEW MarkAudio Alpair 12P Gen2 paper coned drivers.

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#1 NEW MarkAudio Alpair 12P Gen2 paper coned drivers.

Post by Toppsy »

Together with my 4-pair of CHBW-70 drivers I also took delivery of the above drivers.

These are a brand new design and are from the initial batch production run. A nice touch by Mark is the drivers come factory matched with the F(Hz) marked on the box label on also on the rear of the driver. They do look rather tasty and top quality. The paper cones are a nice light shade of blue in colour.

My pair of drivers are only one of 3-prs in Europe, I believe. All the rest of the first production run has gone to USA. I know Scott has 1-pr to evaluate and from what I've read to date on the pre-production tests these could be rather special drivers indeed.

Scott has a new radical design in the wings for me for my units, so watch this space for further developments.

Last edited by Toppsy on Fri May 25, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

To give perspective of their size here is a photo of the new A12P gen2 alongside the CHBW-70.

Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

I've had them running now for around 8-hrs set on low volume and hooked up to my tubed CD player and my 300B SET's, with CD set on repeat. The drivers are simply placed in the open boxes they were shipped in and leaned up against my fire surround. I have to say they do sound rather good indeed, even in the shipping boxes. They had my and Andrew's feet tapping to Tori Amos and the detail was quite something given the nature of the driver placings and the little time they had been running. The only down side is they need another 192-odd hrs of careful break-in before they reach their full potential. :shock: :roll:

Last I spoke to Scott he mentioned he had a new radical design for the A12P should I be interested. As if he needed to ask. :D Just need to find the time to make the prototypes after Scott sends me his design plan.

From my and Andrew's initial listening we both believe this new driver has the potential to be very special indeed, especially if driven by a quality SET amp. 8)
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Yes, what these were doing, even in the compromised cardboard set up, was very nice indeed, great pace and timing.

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Hmmmmm (rubs chin).
Veerrrrrrryyy interestink.
Chris :happy3:
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Pretty looking things, if that means anything. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Audio_Works
User

Post by Audio_Works »

They look good indeed.
"You said, before we met
your life was awful tame."
zman
User

Post by zman »

Toppsy wrote: Last I spoke to Scott he mentioned he had a new radical design for the A12P should I be interested. As if he needed to ask. :D Just need to find the time to make the prototypes after Scott sends me his design plan.
Colin,

Any updates on the "new radical design"? Are you building the box now? :)

- Zia
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Hi Zia,

Scott hasn't sent me the design yet and apart from that it'll be a couple of months before I can find the time to build the prototype cabinets.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Those look interesting Colin . The existing Mark Audio speakers seem well made, but do not have the kind of tonal colour I'm after, from the units I've heard at a couple of the Owston meets. The idea of some paper-based versions seems like a very good option .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
chrisby
User

#11 making some noise with the 12Ps

Post by chrisby »

as the subject line suggests, Jeff Willing and I managed to populate a couple of different enclosures with these drivers, and had a listening session this past (holiday for us) weekend

we blather on about it a bit here,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudi ... ost3080486

and here

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudi ... build.html

but the upshot is that except if you get crazy with bracing, (who, me? :roll: ) the SuperPensil is a damned simple build and sounds pretty good
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

I have a couple box designs awaiting in the wings for my A12P's. A simple 16L BR standmount and a new design floorstander that Scott is still refining.

I just need to find the time get around to getting the basic panels CNC cut and then built. For now my drivers are now installed in some makeshift 15mm MDF open backed boxes whist still going through the laborious break-in routine. But I have to say they are sounding rather good and as noted by Chrisby these are not very forgiving of poor recordings.
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

Toppsy wrote: ... A simple 16L BR standmount
Not so simple 16L standmount, protottpe Mar-Ken12.2pTT (upside down on woofTs)

dave
zman
User

Post by zman »

Toppsy wrote:I have a couple box designs awaiting in the wings for my A12P's. A simple 16L BR standmount and a new design floorstander that Scott is still refining.
Any comments on how tall this floor-stander is going to be? I mean is the height in the Pensil range or more in the big BVR range?
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Zia,
it's in the 'Pencil' rang size wise, so a small floorstander. That's all I can say. Certainly NOT in the range of the big BVR speakers and a double mouth horn it certainly aint.