FH3 felt

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Bizzie
Old Hand

#1 FH3 felt

Post by Bizzie »

I've started to build a pair of FH3's and don't have anything to line the area behind the speaker with the plans just say line with felt what do I use and where can I buy some?

Also do I install this felt and stuffing as I assemble the speakers or or is it possible to put then afterwards.
chrisby
User

#2 Re: FH3 felt

Post by chrisby »

Bizzie wrote:I've started to build a pair of FH3's and don't have anything to line the area behind the speaker with the plans just say line with felt what do I use and where can I buy some?

Also do I install this felt and stuffing as I assemble the speakers or or is it possible to put then afterwards.

A particularly nice product is marketed in NA as "UltraTouch" insulation - felted recycled denim, and sold through a variety of trade distributors and home improvement big box stores- (e.g. Home Depot)

http://www.bondedlogic.com/

The 3"thick batting is a bitch to peel into even thinner layers, but there is a special version of this material laid up 1/2" thick with bonded fabric backer that is an absolute joy to work with. Since we buy it direct from Bob at CSS in Abbotsford, BC, I'm embarrassed to say I don't know about, and have never needed to research other distribution channels.

I've also used automotive and home upholstery underpadding, but most of those now are synthetic based, and not quite as effective as cotton / denim felt.

Not a fan of the "acoustic foams" - particularly in enclosures with this small a CSA.

I'd strongly suggest installing all of the wall damping and fiber fill in the tapered section behind the fold divider before attaching the second side panel - even if you affix the top panel last, it'll be very difficult to reach the apex of the taper after the second side panel is in place.
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

Looks interesting stuff but they don't seem to have a European distributor
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Bizzie,

I use " thick wool felt carpet underlay on all my FH3 builds and supply this with my flat pack FH3 kits.

As Chrisby say's this needs to be applied during construction.
I use general purpose household spray adhesive to fix it in place.

I cannot spare any of my stock as I need what I have for a couple of my Edingdale speaker builds. However, I know Dave The Bass (DTB) has at least half a full roll and I'm sure if you send him a PM he'll send you enough for the cost of the postage.

Apart from the " wool felt you'll need a small quantity of Dacron to stuff in the rear taper and below the driver, if you are using any the Mark Audio drivers. This helps fine tune the bass that can be a little boomy with the MA drivers. This additional damping is not required for any the Fostex 4" drivers that tend to be bass light and really need corner loading to get decent bass in this design. You can easily get Dacron (search for soft toy stuffing) from ebay, but I have found if you have a local upholsters / furniture maker near you they will give you a couple large handfulls for free.
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

Thanks Colin thats very helpful, I am using the Mark audio Alpair 7's so I will need the dacron stuffing.

Do you use biscuits to hold your speakers together or just let the glue do it, I have a biscuit jointer and thought it would make a stronger build and keep every thing in line while the glue dries but will need careful marking out so everything lines up.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Yes, I use No10 biscuit joints on ALL my speaker builds.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

I still have a roll of wool underlay somewhere, your welcome to it but I 'aint posting it!
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

Where are you Neal I don't mind picking up if its not too far from me.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

I also have acres of the stuff going spare, which you are welcome to if I'm nearer than Neal...

I also have some mahogany and ebony veneer if you're interested
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Eds a LOT nearer than Neal. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

ed wrote:I also have acres of the stuff going spare, which you are welcome to if I'm nearer than Neal...

I also have some mahogany and ebony veneer if you're interested
Where are you Ed that sounds like an offer too good to miss thanks :D
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Bizzie wrote:
Where are you Ed that sounds like an offer too good to miss thanks :D
http://www.vitalstates.org/hma/contact/hma-contact.htm
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Yep, a lot nearer!
stevieg
mardy old git

Post by stevieg »

You can easily get Dacron (search for soft toy stuffing) from ebay, but I have found if you have a local upholsters / furniture maker near you they will give you a couple large handfulls for free.
or a pillow. You don't know this, but you need some new pillows. Ask your significant other.
In single malt we trust.
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

I think I've seen it mentioned before that it's cheaper to buy pillows than loose dacron.