Pls design WAFable speakers from FE108sigma

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Pls design WAFable speakers from FE108sigma

Post by Paul Barker »

right I have two pairs (thanks Steve)

Is it possible to put two side by side in an mltl?

Can anyone design it?
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Bipole metronome springs to mind

Maybe ask Dave Dlugos (Planet10) he's the expert on bipoles for this particular speaker design. I'm OK on the "normal Met" but bipoles
are a different execution of the Metronome concept.
Audio_Works
User

Post by Audio_Works »

Dont know about waf value but how about Tuba Basic 2?
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Isn't google rubbish these days. Can't find Tuba Basic 2 anywhere.
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

my metronomes are bipoles (i think? one driver on the side instead of the back) and now ive sorted the filling out im pretty happy with them. im fairly sure the 108 sigmas would work well in a bipole. it'd be a good bet that dave (planet 10) would be able to sort some out.

other than those id recommend trying them in tqwts, i really liked mine even though id got them abit wrong and left a hole in the bass response :roll: cabinets should be pretty small too.

cheers ant
Audio_Works
User

Post by Audio_Works »

Paul Barker wrote:Isn't google rubbish these days. Can't find Tuba Basic 2 anywhere.
It's a Japanese design and when it comes to Japanese audio google is rubbish indeed.
Attached are scans of the design from an Audio Basic issue a couple of years ago. I had to resize the images to meet the upload limit so if there is some dimension you can't read i can post a better pic of that area.

Hope you find it appealing.
Attachments
Tuba basic 2 - part 1.zip
(207.64 KiB) Downloaded 613 times
Tuba basic 2 - part 2.zip
(214.38 KiB) Downloaded 639 times
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Scott did an excellent looking twin driver MLTL using the earlier MA drivers, Colin built them, so it is possible. Search on here for Chillingham.

Personally, I thought the bass was somewhat room dependent; they worked well in smaller room at Colin's but had a tendency to boom a bit in larger ones, e.g. at SimonC's.

I do wonder now if this boom was the result an attempt to eliminate the BSC by reducing the cabinet size to increase the bass at the baffle step freq but its just a guess.

Anyway, I have the worksheets and a license and could take a look at it over the holidays, if you like.

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

I do wonder now if this boom was the result an attempt to eliminate the BSC by reducing the cabinet size to increase the bass at the baffle step freq but its just a guess.
I don't know about that theory Andrew. All the MA FR drivers that I am aware of have a 6dB lift built into the design to avoid the need for a BSC. This works as the bass output from all the MA drivers I have tried and compared to equivalent sized Fostex FR'ers in the same cabinets are all superior in the bass to any the Fostex.

However, I think that the sigma Fostex's need a horn loaded design to work their best? I'm likely wrong and better informed folk than me may put this point right?

EDIT

Paul I still have those cabinets. You're welcome to have them if you can pick them up from my place. They have driver cut-outs for the MA CHR/CHP70 drivers but I'm sure could be modified for the Fostex's.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Paul,

What about something like these, I did for my son Simon?
They are based on DaveD (Planet10) floorstanding Fonken (MarKen10?) style cabinets. Dave would have to advise on the suitability of this style of box design for the 108 sigmas.
Attachments
Dual.JPG
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Toppsy wrote: All the MA FR drivers that I am aware of have a 6dB lift built into the design to avoid the need for a BSC.
I had forgotten about that, yes so it can't have been that but they were a bit boomy in the larger room.

Didn't Steve C have the 108 in a Met so should be OK?

Andrew
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Onken's nicer than the MLTL, least the 167 is....not a huge amount in it but the sound is better integrated from a Onken style ports.

Andrew
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Andrew wrote:[

Andrew
Yep I did have a single 108EZ. That was my first Metronome.
Not much bass power though so I had to use subs and use a network to keep the bass out of the 108s

However a bipole will probably be much better in that department.
Audio_Works
User

Post by Audio_Works »

I still believe that these drivers would benefit more from a horn or at least some kind of Voigt pipe.
If you really wanna use 2 drivers per box, you can just put them next to each other horizontally (!) and enlarge the enclosure accordingly. This will give you a nice boost in the low frequencies.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Audio_Works wrote:I or at least some kind of Voigt pipe.
Yep That's exactly what the Metronome is...a mass loaded Voigt pipe with a quadratic taper :)
chrisby
User

Post by chrisby »

SteveTheShadow wrote:
Andrew wrote:[

Andrew
Yep I did have a single 108EZ. That was my first Metronome.
Not much bass power though so I had to use subs and use a network to keep the bass out of the 108s

However a bipole will probably be much better in that department.

provided room placement will permit (not always guaranteed) this is likely the simplest build / biggest bang for the buck for this driver - although the standard caveat applies - they may still need woofers and HP to mitigate against excursion related artifacts at higher SPL, larger venues etc.

There is a sketch on Dave's site of bipole for FE126E,

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/F ... 26b-v2.gif

as well as single driver version for FE108EZ with the notation

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/F ... 01-map.pdf
3/ A bipole can be made by taking a monopole, double So & Sl, and double the area of the port (leaving the length the same)
of course the trickiest part in these would be ensuring the dual drivers actually fit