Horn Loudspeaker Project.

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Although plaster looks to be a promising material I don't want to focus exclusively on it and have been mulling over fibreglass (GRP) as well.

This would seem to be good but I know it isn't as dead as plaster so I've been thinking that it could be painted with some of the sound absorbent paints that have been appearing, used for deadening cars, boats, etc. The trouble is that it only seems to exist in the USA. Does anyone have any info or experience on these sorts of paints?

Ray
Audio_Works
User

Post by Audio_Works »

Im not sure what kind of paints you have in mind, but i have successfully used the sound proofing paints from automotive industry, the stuff they use for anti corrosion as well . I'm sure you can find Teroson, 3M products or Sinto. I worked with these 3 brands and was happy.

You need a special air gun tho for it and the paint looks kinda like asphalt, like bitumen.
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

This is the sort of paint I came across when searching.

Ray

http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/liquid.htm
Audio_Works
User

Post by Audio_Works »

yea, its the same stuff i'm talking about. You should find this paint in lots of auto parts shops.
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Audio_Works wrote:yea, its the same stuff i'm talking about. You should find this paint in lots of auto parts shops.
Thanks Audio_Works (do you have a forename?), I'll check it out; maybe an automotive shop could do the spraying? When you said the pait was like asphalt/bitumen I had a picture od something like very thick black treacle that never quite sets, not at all like the stuff I linked to. BTW, their application video also shows it being applied with a roller.

Ray
Audio_Works
User

Post by Audio_Works »

I'm pretty sure a shop can do the spraying but it will be pricey. Its fairly easy to apply it. Its not so sensitive as normal paint.

After it dries when you touch it you will get that bitumen feel. I guess you can apply it with a roller if you get it in a bucket.

I use this kind of gun and 1L paint cans, its a very fast way to paint.

However if you don't plan to use this kind of paint often then i guess its not worth investing and you should just use the roller.

Andy
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I see it needs between 3/16" & 1/4" thickness to work properly, that will be a few coats. :wink:

When I was younger (like late teens) we used Adup bronze underseal on our Mini subframes and stippled it on with an old paintbrush. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Audio_Works
User

Post by Audio_Works »

This is another advantage of the air gun, you can make the layer be pretty thick.

Andy
chrisby
User

Post by chrisby »

Audio_Works wrote:This is another advantage of the air gun, you can make the layer be pretty thick.

Andy
generally that results in longer drying times - with solvent and water based paints/lacquers etc on cabinets & millwork we like to use several light coats with sanding between when appropriate
Audio_Works
User

Post by Audio_Works »

well this stuff dries pretty fast, i guess depends on working conditions as well.
This paint leaves a heavy pattern and if sanding is desired, i strongly believe its should be done after the last layer is dried, its pretty useless to sand in between layers. It is very very different than the normal paints.
When the paint is applied on the outside, one or more layers of normal paint should be applied on top of it because on its own it gets dirty very easily and gets the one that touches it dirty as well :). The normal paint can be applied with or without sanding of the sound-proofing paint.