My Frugel Mk 3 build

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

shane wrote:Is there any reason why the super-tweeter can't be mounted on the baffle below the main driver?
1) I prefer the way things look in above pix
2) As things are I have the option to listen sans tweeter should I so desire
3) The current arrangement conveniently puts the tweeter in line with my ears

Other than that...
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
chrisby
User

Post by chrisby »

Dave the bass wrote:
shane wrote:Is there any reason why the super-tweeter can't be mounted on the baffle below the main driver?
Yes. There isn't a hole there?

Arf!

DTB

easily remedied, but there's something somewhat more DIY about the top mounted pod - cant' have things too elegant now can we?

edit: not really a dodgy basement DIY slap-together without some Duct Tape or plumber's putty
Last edited by chrisby on Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Ah yes, I wasn't trying to imply that it looked dodgy or anything, it's just that if they ever made it into my sitting room (you never know), they'd get knocked off the top inside five minutes.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
chrisby
User

Post by chrisby »

shane wrote:Ah yes, I wasn't trying to imply that it looked dodgy or anything, it's just that if they ever made it into my sitting room (you never know), they'd get knocked off the top inside five minutes.
hence the Duct tape :wink:

BTW, Colin - nice flat pack
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Chrisby wrote
BTW, Colin - nice flat pack
Thanks Chrisby. I do try to make the flat pack kits to the same standards as my full builds.
chrisby
User

Post by chrisby »

floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Weather forecast said no rain for five days (in fact it turned out to be no rain for three days) so let sanding commence:

And sanded down, ready for varnishing:

I used Wickes clear satin acrylic varnish, five coats, rub down with wire wool, final 6th coat, to me they look great :)

As the loudspeaker drivers have loosened up it seems to me they are now producing more of the full frequency range as they are designed to do so I have taken the supertweeters away.

Also at my age detection of high frequencies drops off plus some medical treatment I had to go through damaged my hearing a little when it comes to high frequencies.

I can actually hear the supertweeters if I make an effort but to me their contribution is negligible so for a while I shall listen without them.

*All one driver enthusiasts give a big smile, lol*

Right now listening to my vinyl copy of The Beatles Revolver.

I am not spouting old farty values or anything but how come the majority of recordings from a certain era just seem to sound better? And no, it's not my imagination, they just do.

Struggling to find words to describe the phenomenon but the obvious one is 'presence' and 'dry' also comes to mind. I dunno, wish I could describe.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

PS: If you decide to build a pair of these cabinets, a leetle tip: sand the insides of the side panels before assembly if you're going to varnish cos they are buggers to sand once assembled.

I couldn't fit my regular sander in there and had to use an edge-sander plus a bit of hand held sanding to do the job and obviously could not obtain such a smooth finish as that obtained with electric sander on external surfaces.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nice, still enjoying them then our-Tony?

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Dave the bass wrote:Nice, still enjoying them then our-Tony?

DTB
Yes. And no. I have found that they are very reliant on the sound's source. They seem to be showing up inadequacies in quite a few of my vinyl collection.

However, as the fairy story says, when they are good they are very very good and I do get the odd magic moment or six whilst listening.

I think they're more suited to classical music and accoustic music, Mahler, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, John Martyn, Cat Stevens, all sound great. I've also got me mitts on a copy of the new Peter Gabriel album 'New Blood' where he performs a selection of his back catalogue to an orchestral backing and it also comes with an album of the tracks played by orchestra only, no voice. That one sounds particularly good.

I'm not 100% convinced but I am enjoying them and favour them to my KEF Crestas, no more of that boominess. I'm also seriously considering trying a couple of 18mm L-shaped baffles to put behind them to simulate a room corner. Plus, of course, they're not run in yet.

TMB tomorrows! I'll call you during the day tomorrow to arrange a meeting place after your work finishes.