EDINGDALE speaker build

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#1 EDINGDALE speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

These are a development of my 2-way standmounts that use the Mark Audio Tweeter #3 and woofer #6 drivers and are the second in a series of 3 designs based on the same theme and will be called (for want of a better name) THE DALES series of speakers.

The first was the 2-way standmounts, now named THE EDALE's. These have been featured before and look like this:

These will be the top of the range floorstanders using a TMMM format.

The intermediates using a TMM shall be a standmount design and as yet to be designed. These shall be called THE EDERDALE's.

I have nearly completed both test-bed cabinets for the EDINGDALE's bar the bases where progress will stop until I get the XO components from Falcon Acoustics. I have yet to decide which veneer they shall be finished in should they prove worthy. The choice so far being some Cherry or Santos Rosewood as the original 2-ways are skinned in.

Some photos:

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

What sort of load/sensitivity do you expect to get from the TMMM ones?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mo
Old Hand

#3 Re: EDINGDALE speaker build

Post by Mo »

Toppsy wrote: These will be the top of the range floorstanders using a TMMM format.

I have yet to decide which veneer they shall be finished in should they prove worthy. The choice so far being some Cherry or Santos Rosewood as the original 2-ways are skinned in.
Piano Black?
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Nick,

I should have mentioned that these speakers have been designed by colaboration with Scott. He did comment that we're limited by default to the 92dB of the tweeter since it's essentially impossible to pad woofers down with passive circuitry.

It was he suggested the the TMMM.

The Woofer No.6 (EL166 in CSS parlance) is capable of quite respectable SPLs since it has 11mm peak-to-peak linear deflection.
-Doubling a given number of drive units automatically gives an extra 6dB headroom whether wired in series or parallel
-Employing a tweeter on the top, with the midbass units all below it will make for an easier & less complicated XO. with the 3 woofers will give a cone area = to a ~11in woofer, which is more than most commercial speakers.

So that's why I settled on this arrangement. Makes sense to me.
Last edited by Toppsy on Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Mo Wrote
Piano Black?
That would be nice, but I would have to pay a professional with full spray booth to achieve a good finish. Expensive, me thinks :roll:
Mo
Old Hand

Post by Mo »

The other one I was gonna suggest was burr walnut, but I think you're gonna struggle to get sheets big enough for the floorstanders :(
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Ok, so 92dB, what load to the amp?

Also, if a different tweeter was used (though I know its a good tweeter you are using) what would the remaining drivers give you in terms of efficiency?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

The other one I was gonna suggest was burr walnut, but I think you're gonna struggle to get sheets big enough for the floorstanders :(
You have expensive tastes Mo. But again I have to agree that would look rather splendid and as you say, burr walnut does not come in very large panel sizes. Perhaps Walnut (not burr) :?:
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Ok, so 92dB, what load to the amp?

Also, if a different tweeter was used (though I know its a good tweeter you are using) what would the remaining drivers give you in terms of efficiency?
Nick,
I'll have to get back to you on this one. I just need to touch base with Scott first. OK.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Just an observation, but wouldn't a cabinet that size be a little overwhelming in a dramatic wood like Santos or burr walnut? I would go for a lighter finish, maybe oak or maple.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Max N
Old Hand

Post by Max N »

Maybe bird's eye maple?
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Nick,

These speakers are in effect a 2-way, so I can use the existing XO from the original 2-way speakers and just add a simple XO to the series wired lower woofers. I expect the efficiency should be about the same as the original 2-way. As for load, until I get them up and running and wired up to the XO and measured I can't really confirm what the load will be, but should be in the region 6 - 8 ohm.

I have spoken to Scott and he will pm you regards the finer details of the design. I am assuming you are thinking suitable amp design(s) to drive them, yes :?: Some things we want to keep private for now :wink:

However I will add that Scott and I will be looking into a TMMMM with the 4-woofers wired series/parrellel to maintain a 8 ohm load as your original suggestion we talked about at Andrew's. The deciding factor here being what minimum sized cabinet can we get away with that will not end up being the size of a coffin. :roll:
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Shane wrote
...................I would go for a lighter finish, maybe oak or maple.
You may be right Shane. I have some nice 18" wide American Oak and some similar width Cherry veneer. So likely will use one/other these.

Max wrote
Maybe bird's eye maple?
Nice but again not cheap! Again the problem I see with Birds Eye maple is the maximum size of veneer leaves. This is not the easiest of veneers to join especially long butt joints.

I'm leaning towards either Cherry or Oak.
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

I like cherry personally especially after it has aged a while and started to darken, and I still have some birds eye maple somewhere which I found a nightmare to cut properly as it seems to splinter around the "eyes" and leaves it looking a mess.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

:D

They certainly look the job, Colin.

WRT the wiring, adding two more series'd woofers in parallel to the main crossover would yield 5.3ohm DC resistance (assuming perfect inductors). The nominal, due to cabinet loading, will be higher.

But surely the one that covers the midrange would be getting more current than the other two?

Hmmm...