EDINGDALE speaker build

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

So that's two sets gone is it?
Actually that's 4 sets gone and resident with their new owners and 2 more sets in the building. One pair destined to get finished for collection at the Owston meet. I also have ongoing enquiries with a couple other guys interested in commisioning a pair and a possible commercial opportunity in the pipeline.

So what with the making of the Frugal Horn kits and one other commision build I've been kept quite busy since the beginning of the year. :D
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

You've made 8 more speakers than I have installed boilers in the same time!
Freddo
User

Post by Freddo »

Toppsy,

I notice in all your speaker builds you use 3/4" baltic plywood.

Is there any reason you don't use 3/4" or 1" MDF?

Cheers.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

I can probably guess...

Ply is nicer to work with - MDF dust requires special care as its rather bad for your lungs.
Ply is also a lot lighter for the same stiffness of MDF. The result is higher (therefore more difficult to excite) frequency resonances.

The topic has been discussed extensively on diyAudio if you're interested.

Chris
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

Freddo wrote:I notice in all your speaker builds you use 3/4" baltic plywood.

Is there any reason you don't use 3/4" or 1" MDF?
Yes, there us a reason it works better. 18mm of BB has about the same stiffness as 1.25" MDF, has less stored energy, is better damped, and will allow the builder to more easily manage the manouvering of the box during construction.

MF is for cheap speakers, good plywood for quality... and if you want to notch it up from there, stranded bamboo plywood (be prepared to pay)

dave
Freddo
User

#291 MDF v Ply

Post by Freddo »

Hello chris661,

Thanks for your reply.

I'll check out diyAudio right now.
Freddo
User

#292 MDF

Post by Freddo »

And thank you Planet10 too!
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Hi Freddo,
How's the weather down in OZ :?:

The question of Quality Ply versus MDF will go on for ever, me thinks. :roll:

However, for test mules I believe it is cost effective to use MDF and then build the final version in Baltic Birch Ply. In both cases make sure the cabinets are well braced.

With larger speakers cabinets though I find that ply definitely has the edge on sound quality. Not quite so noticeable a difference with small well braced cabinets with small drivers as long as the cabinets are well and accuratley build with glued joint, not put together with nails and/or screws. :wink:
Freddo
User

Post by Freddo »

G'day Toppsy,

Thanks for the reply-- I always learn something from your comments.

As for the weather-- we're heading for 25C this weekend and everything's looking good. If there was only some way to import our weather to the beauty of the English countryside, it'd be the best of both worlds.

See ya!
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

The latest build near in completion. Thought I'd give Matt a taster of what his new speakers will look like when all wired up.

Thse are skinned in Zebrano veneer and finished with Liberon Finishing Oil and a final coat of wax. I'm rather pleased with the way the oil has brought out the contrasting grain of this wood. Hope Matt feels the same when he sees them. I'll likely be bringing these to Owston for Matt to pick up and take home with him.

You can see where they got the name for this veneer from, hey :wink:

The keen eyed will notice the drivers are not screwed into the cabinets but just placed in the rebates for the photo taking whilst the sun shines outdoors.

Image Image
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Blummen shoddy!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

I agree

God knows what Matt is going to think :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

They are very well executed. Before I read the text I was wandering if it was bamboo.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
hifimaster
User

Post by hifimaster »

Toppsy wrote:The latest build near in completion. Thought I'd give Matt a taster of what his new speakers will look like when all wired up.

Thse are skinned in Zebrano veneer and finished with Liberon Finishing Oil and a final coat of wax. I'm rather pleased with the way the oil has brought out the contrasting grain of this wood. Hope Matt feels the same when he sees them. I'll likely be bringing these to Owston for Matt to pick up and take home with him.

You can see where they got the name for this veneer from, hey :wink:

The keen eyed will notice the drivers are not screwed into the cabinets but just placed in the rebates for the photo taking whilst the sun shines outdoors.

Image Image

Oh Wow! I love the finish on these Toppsy. We had a couple of people round here at Northwest Analogue the other day and everyone them have a set of your speakers, they all said they were amazing sounding and you would be hard pressed to find a fault with them, so when are you going to come round here Toppsy and let Dom and I have a listen. We cannot bring this 30kg slate plinth to you. I don't think the car chassis would take it lol. They are very stunning and a credit to you.

Cheers
Natalie
:wink:
Northwest Analogue
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Hi Natalie,
Nice to hear from you.

It'll be my pleasure to come over your place with my own personal pair I use for demo's. Can't bring these Zebrano ones as they're not yet finished but I'll bring some samples of the veneer for you both to see along with other samples I have.

You have email.

Cheers
Colin