EDINGDALE speaker build

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#346 Re: EDINGDALE speaker build

Post by Cressy Snr »

Nice sequence of development of Edingdales there Colin.
Didn't realise they had been going for so long. :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#347 Re: EDINGDALE speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

Yes Steve I didn't realise the concept of the Edingdales that was first conceived by Nick whilst he and I were up in Scotland visting AndrewL was almost 7-years ago now. Amazing what a few pints of Scottish ale will do for the little grey cells.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#348 Re: EDINGDALE speaker build

Post by Ali Tait »

SR’s sounded great Colin, and so did the OB’s.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#349 Re: EDINGDALE speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

Ali Tait wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:19 pm SR’s sounded great Colin, and so did the OB’s.
Even though I do say so myself these are great sounding speakers to my ears also and I firmly believe perhaps the Edingdale 'SR' and the 3-way open baffle speakers are probably the best sounding speakers Scott and I have designed and built to date.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#350 Re: EDINGDALE speaker build

Post by Ali Tait »

I’d agree with that.
Freddo
User

#351 Re: EDINGDALE speaker build

Post by Freddo »

Colin,

You said that the new, improved Edingdales with the replacements for the Mark Audio woofers are a big improvement. Any chance you could describe the improvements in detail?

Thanks.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#352 Re: EDINGDALE speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

Freddo wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:57 pm Colin,

You said that the new, improved Edingdales with the replacements for the Mark Audio woofers are a big improvement. Any chance you could describe the improvements in detail?

Thanks.
That's a difficult one to put into words. I would say they draw one more into the music with a more engaging listen. You just have to listen to them to make up your own mind. I can only go by the feedback that the Bristol clan of members and Edingdale MKI owners have reported back to me when the MKII's were demo'd alongside Nigel's (Vinylspinner) originals.
Do you have a pair the MKI's? If so perhaps we could arrange a A-B comparison with the MKII's depending where you live?
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#353 Re: EDINGDALE speaker build

Post by Ali Tait »

What stood out for me with the SR’s was the quality of the top end, obviously superior to the mk 1’s with the use of a much higher quality tweeter.

Other than that, it was as Colin says, they draw you into the music even more so than the originals did. Bass isn’t any deeper, but there is more detail evident.

I’d happily live with a pair, and there are not many box speakers I say that about as I’m an OB fan. :D
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#354 Re: EDINGDALE speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

I should clarify that the 'SR' version of the Edingdale is a further development of the all new MKII. Both versions use the same basic speaker cabinet design which is the same height as the originals but a little wider and less deep to maintain the same internal volume. Both versions have completely new designed crossovers and upgraded Jantzen components.

The MKII's and 'SR' use the same mid-woofer array which is a better quality and more expensive mid-woofer driver. The MKII's basically has the same ribbon tweeter as in the MKI's albeit the latest version of that tweeter. So for the MKII's they basically have the same sounding high frequency treble signature sound of the originals, and bass and midrange performance in both new versions is more or less as stated by Ali in that they don't go any lower but are more detailed.

The 'SR' uses a state-of-the-art neodymium magnet ring done tweeter. It is this that Ali is referring to with the far superior treble.

As said previously though you really need to audition the speakers then you can form your own opinion to the changes the new drivers have made.

Send me a PM or email if you want to arrange a listen.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#355 Re: EDINGDALE speaker build

Post by Scottmoose »

The SRs in particular are 'a bit special'. Best speakers Colin & I have done to date? They're my favourites. :D
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Freddo
User

#356 Re: EDINGDALE speaker build

Post by Freddo »

Thank you Colin.

PS. I live in Australia.