Frugal Horn Mk3 builds

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

AndrewL wrote
Better than the Sakicho then? :shock:

No not better different but equally as good. They don't have the 'presence' or dynamics the full-on Sachiko with the FE208 sigmas + T90A's can throw into a room. But then not everyone has a room large enough to do justice to these speakers.

The FH Mk3, especially with the CHP70 drivers, are better suited to your average sized listening room where they will fulfill most (if not all) your requirements from a small floorstander speaker.

I can't really say any more. You'll just have to await on the next Owston meet, hey, Andrew?

This time around you have a bedroom to yourself with large double bed

:lol:
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Toppsy wrote: This time around you have a bedroom to yourself with large double bed

:lol:
You shared before ? :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

No in the past he has slept on a camp bed in our front room. On his own or with the cat.

But my son has now moved out so Andrew can sleep in my son's old bedroom in a new double bed.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi Colin
All that's sounding promising so I think you hinted they would work just fine of a back wall with the CHP70 drivers :)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I think I detect a plan coming on :wink:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

All that's sounding promising so I think you hinted they would work just fine of a back wall with the CHP70 drivers
Yes Colin. With the CHP70 drivers they certainly do not require corner loading to achieve deep controlled bass. In fact they require a little extra damping below the driver over the Fostex.

My room layout is such that I have to fire the speakers across the room with the speakers either side my chimney breast. So the backs of the speakers are some 600mm off the rear wall and about 150mm in front the chimney breat, this being 450mm deep. They require no toe-in firing at 90-deg into the room.

I may just take up young Chris661 on his offer the loan of his FE166eN drivers. These being the Planet10 treated version of your drivers. Hole size is near enough same as for the new version driver so if, and when, I get some new FE126En they should just slot in. I can then report on any differences.
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

Toppsy wrote: Hole size is near enough same as for the new version driver so if, and when, I get some new FE126En they should just slot in.
Ignoring the label, the only easily visible differences between the Old 126 and the new, are gold plated terminals, and the new one has a 2mm (or was it 1mm?) smaller diameter magnet. Hole size is the same. Actially the same as CHR70/EL70/Alpair7 i believe.

dave
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Toppsy wrote:
All that's sounding promising so I think you hinted they would work just fine of a back wall with the CHP70 drivers
Yes Colin. With the CHP70 drivers they certainly do not require corner loading to achieve deep controlled bass. In fact they require a little extra damping below the driver over the Fostex.

My room layout is such that I have to fire the speakers across the room with the speakers either side my chimney breast. So the backs of the speakers are some 600mm off the rear wall and about 150mm in front the chimney breat, this being 450mm deep. They require no toe-in firing at 90-deg into the room.

I may just take up young Chris661 on his offer the loan of his FE166eN drivers. These being the Planet10 treated version of your drivers. Hole size is near enough same as for the new version driver so if, and when, I get some new FE126En they should just slot in. I can then report on any differences.
Well they sound just the ticket then in fact just the job for my room 8) :)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Dave the bass wrote:Image

Heheheheheheheheheheh :lol:

Nah, really looking forward to hearing them Colin.

DTB
Flashing yer cock about won't impress anyone here y'know :wink:
Chris :happy3:
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

I managed to steal myself away from listening to these to finish off the second speaker.

Below are a couple pictures of the finished pair.

Must say I'm rather pleased how these have turned out and Lynn loves the look of them. Thinks they are very modern and up-to-date looking.

Along with the Fostex pair of cabinets, (as yet still in the build process), I shall be offering these up for sale at the next Owston meet. Or before if someone makes me an offer I can't refuse :?: :wink:

The pair featured here will be offered complete with drivers etc but the Fostex version will be the cabinets only, complete with inlay binding post tray and internal wiring but minus drivers. I shall hopefully have the loan of Chris661 treated FE126eN drivers for Owston.

Last edited by Toppsy on Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Lovely looking Colin, your better half is dead right, these really look the business.

I wonder, idly, if the 'design' would scale up to the FE 208 Sigma and T90, no stoppit, no naughty.
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

I wonder, idly, if the 'design' would scale up to the FE 208 Sigma and T90, no stoppit, no naughty.
Well I think there may be a upscaled version for 6" FR drivers in the pipeline.
Or at least it was muted on the DiyAudio forum pages. Scott :?: Dave :?:

But for your 8" Sigmas. Ya may be pushing it :roll:
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Phwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooar.

Nice build Colin, well done fella.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

They do look rather nice, don't they!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

I like the built-in bike rack at the back. Nice touch that :-)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"