Frugal Horn Mk3 builds

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#1 Frugal Horn Mk3 builds

Post by Toppsy »

As I mentioned on my Mark Audio CHP70 thread from the latest penned design by DaveD (Planet10) and our much revered Scott (Woden Designs) here is my rendition of the new Frugal Horn Mk3.

I shall be making 2-pr these speakers. One set for the Mark Audio paper cone CHP70 and one set for the Fostex FE126En.

I have made a start on the CHP70 ones and attach some photos of the build to date. One speaker completed in the raw, untreated, Ash veneer ready and awaiting some final stain and oil finish.

I have photographed it alongside my Chillinghams to give perspective.

So one down and three cabinets to go that are in various stages of completion.

It is my intention to bring these along to the next Owston meet.
Attachments
P1240252.JPG
P1240249.JPG
Last edited by Toppsy on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Just a couple more photos.
Attachments
P1240251.JPG
P1240250.JPG
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

deleted
Last edited by Scottmoose on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Very nice Colin, they look a lot nicer than mine did :-) (doesn't take much). Look forward to hearing them some time.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

:)
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Dave,

I'll post up some pictures on your Frugal Horn Mk3 beta builds thread on Diyaudio forum when I have both pairs finished.
I'll also post a report on he sound and the differences between the 2 drivers.

For future reference and updating your literature on these speakers, I'll also keep you updated on internal damping used on both pairs.

After Scott's comments that he likes the natural Ash venner I have decided to just finish the CHP70 pair with a clear acrylic varnish. Teak oil and Liberon Finishing oil makes the Ash too yellowish for my tastes and I expect most others.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I'm looking forward to this, Colin. Yours is a different frugel to the one I have seen. I've attached a picture of what is actually quite radical. And you can add a supra baffle around the speaker driver too.

Which is better, do you think?
Attachments
frugal3.jpg
Last edited by andrew Ivimey on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Very nice Colin - I look forward to hearing these.
Chris :happy3:
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Andrew,

the Frugal Horns you have posted are the originals (Mk1 or perhaps Mk2) that come in three different builds in degrees of improvements as you go. They can have a suprbaffle or not. I may add a baffle to these pending how they sound and image when I have the other one build and all wired up.

The ones I am building are the Mk3. They are a simpler build and designed to be more flexible with respect to different 3" and 4" drivers they will work with, so they are far more tunable than the originals. That was Scott's aim when he designed them.

There are a couple of threads on the diyaudio forum pages if you are interested:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-ran ... uilds.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-ran ... n-mk3.html

Here are the latest (in development) plans for this new Mk3 design.

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/F ... 251010.pdf
Good question. I think this design may be better. But not having listened to the original I can't really comment which sounds better. This new design has more options with respect to driver selection and looks a little more elegant to my eyes. And most important is easier to build.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

andrew Ivimey wrote:I'm looking forward to this, Colin. Yours is a different frugel to the one I have seen. I've attached a picture of what is actually quite radical. And you can add a supra baffle around the speaker driver too.

Yep, that was the one I built.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

It would be most interesting if anyone has a pair the originals, as posted by AndrewI, that they could bring along to the next Owston meet for comparisons :?:
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Yep it was the mark 2s with fostex 126E that I would have like to have compared with the mark 3
I am leaning toward the mark 2 being the better due to the different longer folded horn :)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

The Mark 2 Frugel-horn was still-born. When FE126e was discontinued everything was re-evaluated and Mk3 came of that. I am quite pleased with the result.

dave
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

It's the FE126e that I Have which I got with the Mark 2 Frugal horn in mind as far as I am aware the longer the horn the better to a limit The new mark 3 does't really qualify as a true horn to me this is why I am trying the get a handle on the views of others too which version is best with this driver the FE 126E music mostly blue and jazz some rock :) [/b]
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Top job as usual, Colin, how do they sound?
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.