Frugal Horn Mk3 builds

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
aquapiranha
User

Post by aquapiranha »

Hi all. I have had some thoughts and was wondering if anyone has made the cabinets out of oak or possibly ash actually I would prefer ash for a couple of reasons; it looks nice, it doesn't tend to split like oak, even french oak, and also it is cheaper)? The reason I ask is that I have access to a large well equipped workshop, and my partner's brother in law is a joiner by trade4 who has incredible skill and who has said he would give me a hand!

I would be able to make sheets in oak or ash using either biscuits or my preferred method, feather jointing.

Any feelings on this?
Steve.

FLAC / Tripath / Fostex
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

They might look better, but 18mm BBP (Baltic Birch Ply) would probably be better from a technical point of view because of the layered construction.

But hey, they are your speakers, so do what you think will be the best option for you. :wink: :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
ed
retired

Post by ed »

ime for jointing a feather joint is a must, cut all pieces on the spindle without making any adjustments in between pieces....

if it's properly kiln dried either wood should be good....does your brother in law not have any advice?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
aquapiranha
User

Post by aquapiranha »

Thanks Pre / ed. I was toying with the idea because It means I would not have to mess about with veneer. I am not that clued up but I know that ash is a dense hardwood, but as said it may not be technically as good. all the joints (well, all 4 for the sides) would be feathered which is not a problem for the guy doing the joining as he uses this method all the time.

Thanks.

Oh, the drivers were ordered on Friday so no going back now!

Steve
Steve.

FLAC / Tripath / Fostex
aquapiranha
User

Post by aquapiranha »

Hmm. I have had a look around the internet and it seems the general consensus is that solid wood is no good for loudspeakers for a number of reasons, so it looks like BB ply it is. The only problem I have with that is the veneering, I have built speakers from ply before and never bothered but I do want these ones to look a bit nicer.
Steve.

FLAC / Tripath / Fostex
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

You can get good looks with BBP.

Here is a picture of the "VoFos" that Ed made. They are not veneered. :wink:

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Just a quickie. I have the CHP70's fitted in a rebate Colin cut to take them, would the EL70 fit straight into the same rebated opening?
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Just my 2-penneth, but I would say Solid Ash for the FH3 speakers IMO would be OK as long as it is well seasoned and climatised indoors. Just be aware of the featured joints down the front baffle as this has a 5-deg slope.

For certain type large horn speaker cabinets with lots of side area and internal folds I would say don't go there with solid hardwood but in this case I say go for it and ignore all the 'expert pundits'.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Just a quickie. I have the CHP70's fitted in a rebate Colin cut to take them, would the EL70 fit straight into the same rebated opening?
YES.
aquapiranha
User

Post by aquapiranha »

Toppsy wrote:Just my 2-penneth, but I would say Solid Ash for the FH3 speakers IMO would be OK as long as it is well seasoned and climatised indoors. Just be aware of the featured joints down the front baffle as this has a 5-deg slope.

For certain type large horn speaker cabinets with lots of side area and internal folds I would say don't go there with solid hardwood but in this case I say go for it and ignore all the 'expert pundits'.
Thanks for advice! I was kind of hoping it would be OK to use. I am told it is not that expensive compared to BB ply. Certainly I would not have too much trouble knocking up another pair if I did not like the sound for some reason.
Steve.

FLAC / Tripath / Fostex
aquapiranha
User

Post by aquapiranha »

pre65 wrote:You can get good looks with BBP.

Here is a picture of the "VoFos" that Ed made. They are not veneered. :wink:

they look suspiciously like the handiwork in the Fostex MLTL's that I got from Ali?
Steve.

FLAC / Tripath / Fostex
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

"Professor Joseph Magyvary of Texas A & M University discovered that the spruce used in these violins came from Venice and was stored in the sea (no explanation as to why) and that caused minute holes holes in the timber. He also discovered that the varnish had crushed gemstones in it and he concluded that these two things were what gave the violins their unique tone.
In order to prove his theory he made a violin using these techniques and let a few top notch players try it out and they all said it was the best new violin they had ever played. His conclusion was the Stradivarius lucked into the secret and that it was just manufacturing accidents. (A bit like Gibson with their Les Pauls in the late 50's.)"

Might be a thought when considering the timbre of timber.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

There was a TV proggy about it years ago (might've been Horizon), Venice timber merchants used to season their timber in sea water for about 1 year as a matter of course. IIRC it filled in the pores in the wood, not opened them. I think....

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

Toppsy wrote:Email me and I'll send you the latest set of plans for the FH3. PDF file is too large for me to attach to this thread and I cannot now locate in which thread DaveD posted up the plans on DIYAudio web pages.
Link to the current planset in post 1 of this thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-ran ... tions.html

dave
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

Solid wood is OK s long as you take care with the grain directions... it really helps to have someone experienced in solid.

We have been torture testing some solid wood boxes and have yet to break them (ie the wood cracks under hunidity & temp swings).

The douglas fir boxes have a euphonic colouration compared to ply, the locust & the yew are 1st rate, and some new Western Red Cedar boxes are showing some real promise.

dsve