Frugal Horn Mk3 builds

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

colin.hepburn wrote
Stay away from Solen Audio Polyprop caps thay sound Gray...........
Colin to be fair that surely is a personal thing and how they sound to you in the particular circuit/location they were used. Others may, and would, have a different opinion.

Lets get things into perspective. These caps are intended for a high pass filter to a tweeter that is to be used as a Supertweeter to augment a slight lack of top end to a FR speaker. The cap cuts the FR response of the tweeter @ around 10kHz to the 4" FR main driver. They are NOT being used as a coupling cap in an amp, which likey would have more subtle sound changing effect. SIZE is an issue for the intended purpose but having said that the caps do need to be Audio Grade which the Solens are that I have recommended and used with the original built Frugal Supertweeters.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

How about these.
I find them okay.

www.hificollective.co.uk/components/mcap_bipolar.html

Do they have to be plastic caps?
Last edited by al newall on Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Much to learn there is.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Do they have to be plastic caps?
For speaker XO caps, that would be my recommendation.
I would only use Electrolytic if the value was such that a polyprop cap ended up the size of a coke can :shock:

If price was a consideration (read that as frugal), these would be my other choice of cap for this particular intended use: http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/15-fd-s ... -564-p.asp

I know neither of my recommended caps are from HFC but the postage on the caps ands resistors (if purchased together) is small as they all fit in a small jiffy envelope.
Last edited by Toppsy on Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Then i'll leave it up to Tony to find a suitable cap elsewhere.
My order needs to go in this morning.
Much to learn there is.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Thanks for the input and discussion gentlemen.

To confirm, then, Al won't be supplying me with capacitors and I am going to purchase a couple from hificollective that Ali linked to in a former post.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Just to muddy the waters further, I agree with Colin in regards to Solens. I had them in the L pad of the MLTL's I used to have. Sounded very good. Can't say which of the two is better.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

To confirm, then, Al won't be supplying me with capacitors and I am going to purchase a couple from hificollective that Ali linked to in a former post.
BUT they are the LARGE 27mm dia x 39mm long caps that Al Newal was going to add to his HFC purchase!!

If that's your choice then you may need to make the postal tube for the tweeter larger. Certainly longer to accommodate that cap.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Colin, in view of your most positive comments on these multi driver speakers perhaps you should change the script that runs under all your posts ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

Toppsy wrote:If that's your choice then you may need to make the postal tube for the tweeter larger. Certainly longer to accommodate that cap.
A 3" ID chunk of PVC pipe is likely a better holder anyway.

dave
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Colin, in view of your most positive comments on these multi driver speakers perhaps you should change the script that runs under all your posts ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I may be blinded to the truth and a little biased in my view to the quality of the sound from the multi-ways. Lets wait and see what others think. But perhaps change from Toppsy to MultiTopp with this Emoticon :wav:

I would certainly have to change the wording at the bottom of each my threads :(
Last edited by Toppsy on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Planet10 wrote
A 3" ID chunk of PVC pipe is likely a better holder anyway.
Agreed Dave. BUT here in the UK pipe sizes went metric years ago and the old 3" pipes that would be 76mm dia are no longer made. Nearest sizes are 64mm and 102mm. BUT I could be wrong. The only other issue is you'd likely have to buy a 3m/4m length of pipe, unless you could fine an offcut on a building site.

EDIT.
I suppose one could use a 3" (76mm) port tube and cut off the front flange. That would be a better solution than a cardboard postal tube.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

I am now seriously confused, lol

I have bought me's a post office toob, it looks to be about 79mm external dimension which would make it about 74mm internal dia - no good?

All I really wanted to know was what Chris (Stratmangler) was using with his FH3/CHP70/Supertweeter setup as both he and Colin said it sounded good and that's good enough for me.

Chris didn't link to any particular type, but Ali recommended the hificollective ones which, it appears, are a bit on the huge side and won't suit my tube.

Please bear in mind I am very much a novice here so if somebody could recommend a capacitor that would do the job, is the right size and isn't poor quality I would be eternally grateful :D
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Right. Hopefully this will clear up your confusion.

The postal tube you have will be fine.

Both Stratmangler and me used Solen caps and 5W/7W ceramic wirewound resistors for the XO cap and L-pad resistors.

I did say this in an earlier posting and also posted a link to Falcon Acoustics from where we bought the components.

Here is the link again to the caps: http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/alcap- ... eries.html

And here is the link to the 5W resistors: http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/resist ... rs-5w.html

EDIT.

The resistors you need for the L-pad to give a -6dB attenuation are 2 x 3.9 ohm + 2 x 8.0 ohm both 5W wire wound.
I have removed the 7W resistor link so not to confuse.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Colin, I thank you.

CHP70 drivers and spikes arrived today.

One down, three to go...

I have also just secured a strip of aluminium about 25mm wide and almost 2M long of a suitable thickness that will work for the cross braces to take the spikes. It was in me lockup.

Now gotta get me some captive nuts to fit them with.
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

floppybootstomp wrote: Now gotta get me some captive nuts
You could try the local prison :D

dave