Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1891 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by IslandPink »

I'll have to go at this in small bites, Chris, just packing for a holiday.
chris661 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:39 pm Sorry Mark, you've lost me here. You're changing out drivers and making alterations to the cabinet, but you're arguing that the frequency response is staying the same, but the phase response is changing. Can you see why I find this odd?
There's been a lot going on so it's not always easy to keep track of what things are the direct comparisons and for which aspect. I understand.
In the bullet points above about what affects frequency response and whether I can control this, I should have put ( of course )
4. The frequency response of each driver, in the 90Hz to 1000Hz region, approx.

Ok so I'm quite familiar with the sound of each of these drivers ( Fostex & B&C 8PE21 ) in that region. Bear in mind this is in various ways - from listening unequalised on the floor, or on OB. There will a certain amount of up-tilt in FR of course , lots for unequalised, but less on OB. I am happy with this and have accustomed my ears to judging drivers in this state . Both drivers sound good. I have also listened to both these drivers on the short tractrix (straight ) horn with the 'teardrop' phase plug in front of the cone. This plug maintains the low-mid tone and improves the upper-mid and treble tone by taking out dustcap effects in HF or averaging the ripple somewhat lower down.
Once fitted to this horn, the driver FR will tend to 'imprint' onto the horn mouth/expansion/folding characteristics. I can make allowances for that and can see the FE208Ez dips on the test I did with the radioshack a few weeks ago.

Ok, next point, I'm not ( now ) making changes to the cabinet, by which I mean the horn expansion. After the Mk.1C mod I'm done, anything better will have to wait for the Mk.2 . See further comments below.

What I've been doing is modifying the back volume ( behind the driver ) from open , down to around 6L. This is having profound effects on the sound quality , either in the upper bass or mids or both. The back volume and its shape is not really capable of doing a lot to colour the lower mids or upper bass it's not big enough for the waves at those frequencies. Most of the time this back-volume has been a rather complex internal shape with triangles, slabs & chunks of wood at odd angles. It does not lend itself to generating clear box modes. It's main effect is to add acoustic loading to the rear of the driver and I believe that's more or less all it's doing. Different acoustic loading WILL affect phase.

So what I'm hearing all the time is either having strong tonal colour, or losing it into a greyness ; or having pianos and drums 'pinging' in a fast, crisp way, or being mushy and slow. These to me are all phase-related effects and cannot be mimicked or 'fixed' by small changes up or down in the amplitude response. For example - I have played around with the FE208Ez a while back with a notch filter for the 3.5/4kHz area and while it stops it from sounding overtly harsh, it does not improve the tonal colour through that region, because it hasn't fixed the phase effects going though the area the cone or dustcap has resonances. I accept that tuning of an amplitude response will improve the exact tonal rendition of voices and instruments to make them more believable, but it won't increase or decrease the amount of tonal colour - what Romy calls 'absolute tone' and I call 'tonal gamut' .

The situation I'm in at the moment is all about validating or otherwise whether the back-volume adjustment can or can't bring this horn design up to a worthwhile level for continuation. I'm realising that it's the biggest thing going on in this system and needs to be fully understood and fixed before it's worth worrying about smaller stuff. At present I have an unacceptable choice between upper-bass speed and attack, or midband tone. There is also the side issue of the driver's basic resonance which comes into the potential for successful adjustment of the back-volume for the upper bass. The Fostex starts at 40Hz, the Eminence at 69Hz . That's the reason for that additional purchase, I need this driver to help me understand the effects better.
chris661 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:39 pm
Nick wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:47 pm I think the very fact that we can live with loudspeakers in a room where the frequency response can shift by dB just by moving out head indicates that while amplitude variation is easer to measure its not that big a deal when it comes to the sound we get. We can see a similar difference in phono stage eq. we can hear and compare amplitude mistakes in the eq, but what seems to make the sound real is being correct in phase.

And yes, it sounded good Mark.
I see your point. I'd counter that a dB or two deviation from somewhere near flat is just fine, but what is "detail" to one person is "harsh" and "sibilant" to another, and a measurement mic tells you it's a 6.6kHz peak, Q=5, and 8dB in amplitude (Fostex FE126E, if anyone's wondering). Flattening that out with EQ will make the second person much happier, and the first person might actually like the neutrality so they can listen to a wider range of recordings instead of those that sound nice with that peak.
Speakers are often minimum-phase systems (except around bass reflex tuning, etc), so EQing the frequency response flat can often flatten the phase response out, too.
Ps. I do not have the option to 'EQ' , other than perhaps one notch filter. The basic LP filter will be in the amp so the Zout from the amp stays low to the speaker. There may be an additional coil at the speaker to steepen the roll-off higher up. This is another ground rule which is different between me and you. I have not heard a convincing DSP-based system to my ears - not yet. If someone wants to loan me a Najda one for a couple of weeks, I might get a bit more interested - otherwise not an option. What you're talking about above, as things being harsh or sibilant or not is mainly in the KHz region, anyway, where I'm now pretty much sorted with the 288/Yuichi and G3 ribbon. One of the advantages of working with horn loading is that these drivers are then operating a couple of octaves lower ( in the velocity-controlled region ) where their responses are smoother and less complicated.
I don't believe that speakers are free of phase problems where they have ripples . In many of these light-coned speakers there is a dip in the region 500 to 1200Hz where the first cone breakup occurs, and I'm damned sure that means phase shifts. The 208 certainly has something around 500-600Hz, but I'll have to live with it , although I have the Eminence coming now to compare. That's the only thing that ultimately might respond to a bit of EQ if it could be done cleanly.

But what I can say from the sounds I've heard from this unit already, is that the sum total of the tone I can get from this, adding up the low end and upper end when either working correctly, is it's very nice and good enough for my purposes . It's a bit coloured at present, but there's a fair bit of improvement to come in the more open, smoother Mk.2 design, This should be fine long term. It just needs to be brought together.

Bear in mind there's more going on in the background than I can get on this thread. I do correspond almost daily with NIck, and have been emailing Bjorn Kolbrek who has been helpful. Just the last couple of days I was quizzing Troels Gravensen on his experience of the Vox Olympians at Munich , and on a ported back-volume applied to a horn & whether the Oracle/Vox had this.

'Phew, long reply' :D
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#1892 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by Ali Tait »

Chris, have already messaged you, come back to me with a price please.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1893 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by IslandPink »

Just had a rather nice insight after looking back carefully though the postings and pictures from Oct/Nov.
The best tone and dynamics ( together ) that I had during this process has always been 'Lashup #2' as I called it. See my posting ( brief ) from Oct 13th :
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... start=1740
I had never been clear why it was that this intermediate stage worked so well . Trying to work out what I had for the back enclosure has revealed something very very interesting. I knew that I had the speaker on the floor, and had pushed up the remaining side piece to more or less close the driver enclosure, which would have been around 13 litres. What I wasn't sure about was if there were any unclosed air paths through to the back - I was slowly sorting-out this issue at the time. Now I know :
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... start=1755
See the posting from 13th Nov with the two pictures.
At the stage of Lashup #2 I had two small 'ports' still open, leading to the rear section of the horn, outside of the laterally expanding pieces of 25mm ply at the back. At least one of these paths was open to the front via an unfinished bit that had to attach to the big side panel. Hence I had a PORTED BACK VOLUME at that time that must have by chance combined quite favourably with the front expansion which was more or less complete but missing a couple of bits on the big final bend.
This bodes very well ! :D
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1894 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by pre65 »

I found this little picture just now, and thought of you Mark.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachme ... a415ea.jpg
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
slowmotion
Old Hand

#1895 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by slowmotion »

Interesting to hear that the very expensive horn system use 3mm of epoxy to cover the wood.
Seems to me they would be better off going all synthetic material in that case, no wood at all.
- Jan -
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1896 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks - looks like OB bass/lower-mids and twin horn upper-mids/treble. I wonder what that is ? - not seen that pic before and I have seen many old shots of horns. Not time-aligned. The upper horns are angled outwards to improve coverage. Probably mid-30's ?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1897 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by IslandPink »

slowmotion wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:53 am Interesting to hear that the very expensive horn system use 3mm of epoxy to cover the wood.
Seems to me they would be better off going all synthetic material in that case, no wood at all.
Two things Jan. He says if built from Beech, the sound is excellent and the varnish/lacquer is less important.
On the birch-ply substrate which I guess is veneered with the fancy woods, the varnish ( and I think it's 40 layers of polyurethane ) is very important.
From an engineering point of view, yes, polymer substrate ( like on the Cessaro Liszt ) would be a good approach. On the other hand I feel his business model may not work with polymer - I can see that if you expect to sell it for £250k+ then it has to look amazing. You're more likely to be able to sell at £350k with amazing wood veneers and mega-yacht construction/finish than to sell at £250k with basic wood and finish, or a polymer horn.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#1898 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by simon »

Bit of inspiration for you Mark. Look forward to hearing your prototypes Owston after next :-)

http://www.itishifi.com/2017/03/portable-speakers.html
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1899 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks ! - that's the sort of vehicle needed for Owston.
I'll give you a shout when I have something worth hearing - easier than carting everything there.
Am still making progress but was hampered by the holiday. Spent most of the time thinking about what I needed to do and whether it would work. Since I got back, time has been short but I have made a start :
1. taken off the 'shed roof' bit from the base panel
2. cut a 10 x 13cm hole in this panel. Idea is to fit a sliding 18mm panel onto this, with 6mm screws, wing-nuts and slots, so I can apply a port with area variable from 20cm^2 to 130cm^2 .
3. managed to chisel and hammer out various pieces of wood that I painstakingly shaped and placed in the driver enclosure about 2 weeks ago. This is 'ongoing' as it's a right ball-ache.

Hoping to have something running by Sunday.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1900 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by IslandPink »

Behold - a variable vent ! Sliding aperture between 2 x 10cm and 12 x 10 cm.
I have also been hacking out most of the extra wood in the speaker enclosure to take it back to around 13L. Very loud and messy. Just need to fit the driver back in, fit the base plate ( & check none of the bolt heads foul the driver ) and start some testing.
First a bit of a walk for some fresh air is called for.
Slider_base.JPG
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1901 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by IslandPink »

Hmmm.. no great revelation of greatness. Rather inconclusive at present. I like it at the biggest and the smallest area , not so much in the middle - but neither is as good as 'Lashup #2' on piano notes for instance. I have only listened to the big horn full range so far though . Let's see what it sounds like with the 700Hz low pass and the Yuichi added in above.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1902 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by IslandPink »

OK, more today and this is growing on me. It's definitely a good step up from the last two tests. Just playing Richard Thompson's 'Henry the human fly' and there's a lot of good tone - more in some areas that I've ever heard. Not much resonance anywhere , on-axis the big horn has some harshness but I haven't got the additional 0.3mH choke on there today, that was helpful before. It's not quite as tight in the bass as it was with a sealed 6L enclosure, but it's tighter than it was with a sealed 13L , and has the same tone in the upper mids ; so the port is doing something good to the loading. Need to have a think about additional steps, the one remaining obvious one is to put on the Eminence Delta Pro 8 , that should be interesting. I'll have that on by the end of the week, maybe Wednesday if I get keen.
Maybe I can try a tube port though ...
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1903 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by IslandPink »

Another piece of the jigsaw, worth mentioning - I was reading bits of Gilbert Briggs' book again yesterday. Great book about speakers btw, so much hands-on knowledge from listening experiments. I've been concerned about a lack of fullness in male vocals at times. He shows a spectrum plot of a mix of words spoken. Makes the point that the graph has content down to 100Hz and still significant at 80/90Hz. So some of that has to come from the bass channel, that's reassuring.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1904 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by IslandPink »

Yeah baby, give it to me !!
7cm_tube.JPG
On the basis the variable port aperture value wasn't doing much for me, I decided to launch into using a fixed diameter port and using the length to tune the resonance. Luckily I found some fairly thick cardboard tubes upstairs, one with 7.5cm internal dia. Using the equation on Troels Gravensen's site :
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/vent_tuning.htm
I calculated 7.1cm length for a 13L volume to give 90Hz tuning. Cut this and put it inside the slider port , closed down to grip it and with a bit of tape ( not enough yet ) applied to cover up the open corners around the tube.
Listening to this I've definitely changed the sound, mostly for the better. Overall it sounds cleaner and a bit tighter. On pianos it's starting to do that thing again that it did on Lashup #2 in Oct. Great shape and tone on the notes at least in the middle of the keyboard. It is a little dry on bass though and seems like is lost maybe 10Hz or so at the bottom end.
So I reckon this is going in the right direction but for various reasons ( estimation of volume wrong, end-correction factor not quite right ) I may have got the resonance a bit to high - maybe 100 or 110Hz or something like that . I will do another test tomorrow and add something like 3 to 5cm to the tube to take me down 10 or 15Hz.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1905 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by IslandPink »

OK one step back two steps forward :
(I) lengthening the port tube by 5cm then 8cm did not significantly improve the horn's sound with the Fostex driver.
(ii) today I dis-assembled and fitted the Eminence Delta Pro 8a . This sounds significantly better with the more or less sealed 13L enclosure. Drums are really starting to have tone and punch. Very good - within reaching distance of greatness now. Finally satisfied ! :D :bounce:

So I can adjust back volume down a bit. Other option now is to look at other drivers with resonance a bit higher ( 80 -100Hz ) . Given the side-firing entry, I could consider a pair of smaller 5 or 6" drivers with low Rms to do this. Will be having a look at the SB Acoustics range as I saw some nice aluminium midrange drivers in there a few weeks ago.