what was your favourite deck?

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#16 Re: what was your favourite deck?

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Michael L wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:45 am I was quite happy with my Pink Triangle PT1 but an opportunity arose to buy a Funk Firm 'vectored' PT1 cheaply on eBay. This gives me something approaching the SQ of the Anniversary. I nearly didn't proceed as the seller was a PITA as far as communication went. He told me the day before we were due to meet up that he had dropped the TT but offered a decent price reduction. It was quite easy to repair. I'm completely happy with the deck. I have a Zeta arm on it and would love to try an Audio Origami PU7.
The only "real" * difference will be motor on the sub chasis , however you have the vector system and this may largely equal the decks out.

Should you be adventurous you can mount the motor on the sub-chasis by doing it yourself , there are detailed plans on the vinyl engine . A word of warning cutting holes in aerolam is difficult , I attempted it and ended up in Hospital having a 4 hour appointment with a plastic surgeon to put my thumb back together .
Mudshark
Old Hand

#17 Re: what was your favourite deck?

Post by Mudshark »

Michell Syncro.
01_n4q3o084.jpg
Okay maybe not favourite, but I liked it, a lot. :mrgreen:
Michael L
Old Hand

#18 Re: what was your favourite deck?

Post by Michael L »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:13 pm
Michael L wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:45 am I was quite happy with my Pink Triangle PT1 but an opportunity arose to buy a Funk Firm 'vectored' PT1 cheaply on eBay. This gives me something approaching the SQ of the Anniversary. I nearly didn't proceed as the seller was a PITA as far as communication went. He told me the day before we were due to meet up that he had dropped the TT but offered a decent price reduction. It was quite easy to repair. I'm completely happy with the deck. I have a Zeta arm on it and would love to try an Audio Origami PU7.
The only "real" * difference will be motor on the sub chasis , however you have the vector system and this may largely equal the decks out.

Should you be adventurous you can mount the motor on the sub-chasis by doing it yourself , there are detailed plans on the vinyl engine . A word of warning cutting holes in aerolam is difficult , I attempted it and ended up in Hospital having a 4 hour appointment with a plastic surgeon to put my thumb back together .
That sounds nasty Daniel. Hope you still have full use if your thumb. The new motor and control unit gave much better speed stability and i think it helped a lot to beef up the sound.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#19 Re: what was your favourite deck?

Post by Daniel Quinn »

It will not bend two much in the middle , but it is fine.

I eventually decided it was the springs that were the problem and moved the motor of the subchasis and suspended the subchasis using nylon bolts and nuts . I am building one at the moment that will use blocks of end grain balsa , if I can find a suitable glue .

this is of course all heretical stuff for PT fans . :P
gninnam
Old Hand

#20 Re: what was your favourite deck?

Post by gninnam »

Mudshark wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:54 pm Michell Syncro.

01_n4q3o084.jpg

Okay maybe not favourite, but I liked it, a lot. :mrgreen:
My first turntable in '85 and loved it - upgraded it to a Gyro in '95

Looking at getting the Hydraulic next.....
Mudshark
Old Hand

#21 Re: what was your favourite deck?

Post by Mudshark »

Nice one g, if its good enough for my droog Alex...... :mrgreen:
turntable3.jpg
turntable3.jpg (22.02 KiB) Viewed 7370 times
A Clockwork Orange.
cressy
Shed dweller

#22 Re: what was your favourite deck?

Post by cressy »

I keep looking for a pf 800, i havent seen another one since and really wish I still had it. Wonder if i could build something similar out of that td160 I got off mike........
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#23 Re: what was your favourite deck?

Post by Cressy Snr »

My old Thorens TD160 with Charlie Trayhorn subchassis mods and SME series II and Ortofon VMS30E MM cart.
A superb piece of kit.
I got a Linn Axis to replace it and ended up on the LP12 bandwagon before I knew where I was.
Fingers badly burned unfortunately.
Fond memories of that Thorens.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#24 Re: what was your favourite deck?

Post by pre65 »

I've still got a Yamaha direct drive deck, a YP-D7.

It's got a 100v motor so it's obviously not a UK model. I did cobble up a 100v transformer for it but it's not been used for a few years.

Library image.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
cressy
Shed dweller

#25 Re: what was your favourite deck?

Post by cressy »

That thing is awesome! Right up my street.i love a good dd deck
The pf 800 was yamahas foray into the linn dominated belt drive market and I think they did it in style. The bearing and platter were very very well machined and heavy, a couple of pounds heavier than the lp12, and the motor was a honking great dc motor rather than the little impex job the brit decks had.
What did for it were 2 things. The unconventional twin tube arm that was nothing like an ittok and the name.
Yamaha was not linn.
A real shame. And a shame they are so thin on the ground...