Denon 103 retip

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#1 Denon 103 retip

Post by izzy wizzy »

Has anyone had experience in retipping a Denon 103? Any hints, prices, advice, whatever?

I have another brand new one in a drawer which I can press into service. So ultimately, do I retip or go buy another one to stick in the drawer?

cheers,

Stephen
Ant
Shed dweller

#2 Re: Denon 103 retip

Post by Ant »

have a word with nat and dom at northwest analogue, what they don't know about them isn't with knowing
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Denon 103 retip

Post by IslandPink »

Nick used Van den Hul recently and this is the best one I've heard - I know 'cos I borrowed it . I had an Expert stylus one years ago ( re-worked with longer sapphire cantilever and fine-line diamond ) and this was too 'HiFi'. I did once or twice ( further back) get a very basic re-tip from Expert using a normal conical diamond , but getting hold of them and getting them to agree to this seems increasingly difficult. I have a drawer full of 103R's on which I'd really like basic re-tips, but everybody wants to charge you £250 to £450 to 'add value' which is very frustrating.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Neal
Shed dweller

#4 Re: Denon 103 retip

Post by Neal »

I had Goldring rebuild a 103D, they provide a very good service and communicate via modern methods not carrier pigeon :D

Think the cost was under 300 squid, that’s a new generator assembly, cantilever and fine line stylus.

Sound wise it’s very detailed, brightly lit with good bass extension, it doesn’t really sound like a 103 IMO
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#5 Re: Denon 103 retip

Post by izzy wizzy »

Reading the Northwest Analogue site is very tempting. The only cartridge I've had more than one of is the Denon 103 not an R. I went down an analytical route for a while and so in the drawer of old ones I have a Clearaudio Gamma and a Signature (almost brand new) but just as I got the signature I bought an old Garrard 401 with SME3009 and bought the Denon to see what all the fuss was about. My Teres, Triplanar and Clearaudio Sig just didn't deliver the music as well. I was shocked! The 103 then got a Uwe Panzerholz body and out came the Sig and in went the 103 and it's stayed there. I bought another as insurance which I may put into play. I think it was around £100. They're over £200 now. Blimey! The 401/3009 is some project for the future.

I also have a Koetsu Rosewood Signature in the drawer. Do I spend £60 to see if it needs a retip or more? I think I may have to give them a ring. It is the only other cartridge that I fell in love with and miss what it does/did. I haven't heard it in over 15 years. Maybe I should give it a spin.

Otherwise I can see me buying another 103 as insurance as retips are the cost of a new cartridge. Decisions decisions.

Thanks for the replies. Has got me thinking. I feel lucky to have the backup in the meantime.

cheers,

Stephen
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Denon 103 retip

Post by IslandPink »

I'm in the same camp as you. I do have an SPU-GE waiting on the shelf in the front room for when I get a suitable arm, though :)
jayman67
User

#7 Re: Denon 103 retip

Post by jayman67 »

i went the same way as you,i tried a decca c4e and then a cadenza black which sounded too relaxed,i then bought a new denon 103sa and i couldn't be happier,i dont miss the fine line or shibata tips at all.the denon is so easy to set up and is just so musical!
JohnG
Old Hand

#8 Re: Denon 103 retip

Post by JohnG »

On Lenco Heaven in Cartridge and Styli, there is a reference to retipping/rebuilding services.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: Denon 103 retip

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks - just emailed that 'Nadelspezialist', see what they say. I have at least three 103R's with worn diamonds in a drawer !
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: Denon 103 retip

Post by IslandPink »

Got a reply - sounds good. If cart is OK he will do re-tip with elliptical stylus for E70 + tax & postage. I'll dig out two for him to look at, and keep you posted .
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: Denon 103 retip

Post by IslandPink »

Progress, two 103R cartridges sent and assessed. He says the carts are 'very dirty' :oops: , I thought they were quite smart once I'd brushed the dust off !
Anyway, will replace aluminium cantilevers with similar, and elliptical diamonds, price for both and return postage is E178.50 all-in. If he does a good job he'll be on my Christmas card list !
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#12 Re: Denon 103 retip

Post by izzy wizzy »

That seems very reasonable. Are they in original bodies or in an aftermarket body like a Uwe body?

cheers,

Stephen
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: Denon 103 retip

Post by IslandPink »

Normal bodies, at the moment. I'll leave that for a future upgrade - but if this guy is good, I have another one in the drawer, might supply him with a 'special' to put it in, once it's re-tipped.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#14 Re: Denon 103 retip

Post by izzy wizzy »

I was amazed at what a better body can do for these things.

Since my last post, I exchanged the old 103 for the new one in a Uwe panzerholz body. Nerve wracking getting the old one out. Nerve wracking removing the original body (great Thomas Shick video helps) Why didn't I do this ages ago.

I've always wondered about just a retip. Doesn't the suspension get old?

cheers,

Stephen
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: Denon 103 retip

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks, I was thinking of ebony or something, Will try .. but then I have to get the SPU-GE working too... too many things - but easier to re-body the 103R so probably will get done.
Suspension yes, but after 800Hrs or 2 or 3 years ? I would say it'll be OK for a while but maybe not 10 years. I would like to think you could get 2 re-tips out of one within say 7 or 8 years, maybe Martin can advise me on his thoughts.