neals g99

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Neal
Shed dweller

#31 Re: neals g99

Post by Neal »

100% removing the base plate is much better for me. With it the upper mid is pushed forward with a sort of agitated quality. Cymbals are smeared and the sound is fatiguing, if you try a hot busy recording it’s really noticeable you get pinned into your chair and want to reach for the volume.

Removing the board relaxes everything, there’s depth and clarity and an effortlessness to the sound, so much better.

I can only think there’s some sort of mechanical feedback going on, maybe noise from the motor or the signal itself feeding back via the base plate into the cartridge.

Anyhow, I’m glad to have got to the bottom of this as it was driving me nuts!
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#32 Re: neals g99

Post by Paul Barker »

Reminds me of Richard from wad days found same benefit cutting out plinths that equipment stood on so there was no shelf but sufficient structure for support.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#33 Re: neals g99

Post by Paul Barker »

Paul Barker wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:34 pm Reminds me of Richard from wad days found same benefit cutting out plinths that equipment stood on so there was no shelf but sufficient structure for support.
If I heard Richard right when I was with him in his house that day, it didn’t apply only to record deck, think it affected all elements that sit on a shelf. He had a good sounding system.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein