Cartridges.

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#16 Re: Cartridges.

Post by Paul Barker »

IslandPink wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:09 pm With the Mayware for the 103R you put a 6g ( or more ) weight of lead plate on the headshell and a heavier counterweight. It's not at all resonant - that's the point of why it's good. I moved from the Origin Live Illustrious to the Mayware with the 103R and with the mods I made , never looked back. This was advice from James D , who you newcomers don't know. I can't think of anything that James advised us that was wrong.
Thanks Mark, was paradise lost for a while, now paradise regained.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#17 Re: Cartridges.

Post by Paul Barker »

pre65 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:34 pm When I used a DL 103, I had a 20p coin on the headshell and balance weight further back. Might even have been a heavier balance weight, can't remember.

Thanks.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#18 Re: Cartridges.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Mr baker you should lighten up unless you voted tory no decision you have made is responsible for austerity. Get a benz or zyx.

If you did vote tory then all you deserve is an at 95e
shane
Social outcast

#19 Re: Cartridges.

Post by shane »

Paul voting Tory is about as likely as Kim Jong-Un joining CND.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Paul Barker

#20 Re: Cartridges.

Post by Paul Barker »

My uncle is Tory and used to stand but was never elected. I was his guest at posh nobs house parties. They make my skin crawl, the air they (the Lords and Ladies in their mansions) breathe is so far from life on earth for the people they criticise and slight with their joaks and conversation among themselves I felt like puking.
Paul Barker

#21 Re: Cartridges.

Post by Paul Barker »

But seriously, if I even began to tell you a small element of the lives of people I see daily you wouldnt believe what goes on. even this morning incredible stuff going on in lives which I am dealing with today.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#22 Re: Cartridges.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I am working class from oldham and grew up in proverty. All my relatives still live in oldham. My bother spent 14 years locked up as a criminal under the mental capacity act and before toddler dq my wife worked for a charity with young people and young offenders.

I am fully conversant with the appalling harm the tories are subjecting the working class to.
Paul Barker

#23 Re: Cartridges.

Post by Paul Barker »

cool Daniel. Respect.

Not that there arent two levels. there is a very tiny minority who still milk the fund. A single mother of many children sta in her house and told me she gets £2,000 cash a month of benefits. She said " all I do is sit there on that sofa and get drunk all day". But she was saying this in the same paragraph she was saying that she was now going to work. A single mum I help that is an entirely different situation explained it to me. "Now that they have limited the number of children you receive help for she has to go to work". The first lady presented it to me as she made a choice now to work.

But the much larger percentage of people are in great hardship.
Paul Barker

#24 Re: Cartridges.

Post by Paul Barker »

Regarding voting tory and the austerity measures. No I didnt vote tory and Labour as it was then agrred to the same austerity measures before the election. It was an all party agreement that whoever got it would introduce these measures. I am not against the ideal of making it less excessive as in the £2,000 example. But in reality what has happened is that there remain some pockets of people on excessive benefits with no insentive to work, and a huge mass of people that have been mugged by the changes. There is right now a huge difference between the situation within the people receiving benefits.

Back on cartridges. Seems odd nobody commenting on the repair option.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#25 Re: Cartridges.

Post by Ali Tait »

Well, as I said, the VDH retipped 103 sounded very good. Not sure on the cost, Nick will advise if you give him a shout.
Nick
Site Admin

#26 Re: Cartridges.

Post by Nick »

The VdH Tip and Boron Cantilever that Ali heard is £450 + donor 103
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#27 Re: Cartridges.

Post by Ali Tait »

Thanks Nick.
Paul Barker

#28 Re: Cartridges.

Post by Paul Barker »

I`d be geting the dvxx1l tipped and armed yet again, or the highphonic mc5r rewound. But the highphonic is imensely low output, inspight of which it sounds considerably better than the dvxx1l. If I were spending over 400 Id want to spend it on the best candidate. Looks like the Mayware arm would match the hyphonic best. But at that cost I'll probably no longer achieve that upgrade in my lifetime.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#29 Re: Cartridges.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Re-tipping as increased significantly in price in the past couple of years . IMO it is now at a tipping point were it becomes not worth the hassle

retipping is never like for like , so you alter the sound for better or worse ? You do not get a new body and things wear [ how much and to what degree is contentious }

I personally would not pay more that £600 for a moving coil , so at £450 for a denon re tip , you would be better of buying a benz .

and , focussing on benefit misappropriation is like focusing on a broken toe when you have lung cancer :wink:
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#30 Re: Cartridges.

Post by IslandPink »

It used to be you could get a basic diamond replacement on the 103R for about £110 from Expert Stylus. Seems to be impossible nowadays ( first problem is getting through to Expert Stylus who don't do email ! ) and nobody else is offering the service - they all want to change the cantilever and charge you lots more for something that is different. The VdH rework is the best I've heard, but not cheap. Seems to be a gap in the market here.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"