The best phono stage there is

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#61 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Bloody hell , you have set your father on me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

{ joke gentlemen }
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#62 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

cressy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:38 am You are in a position that the average buyer isnt though Richard, as you have been building something that does the same job for a long time
You know what is involved so can comment based on knowledge, not just on some words on a forum that you dont agree with. Personally, I think that you could price your phono stage alot higher than you do, with justification for that price. But you have your own reasons for setting your price as you do.
The thing that I object to, is that having seen the price of the music first, dq dismisses it as simply an expensive set of boxes with no justification for the price, surmising that the vast majority of said ten grand goes into daves pockets dismissing the work that has gone into it, without considering what goes into designing and building a brand new product.
A differing opinion to that of dq that i am just as entitled to
But DQ happens to be right.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#63 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Cressy Snr wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:47 am Chill DQ, get in the Now. Go and look at the flowers. :flower:
Ok Mr Cressy , I am looking at Daffodils out the window as I type .

ps - I do apologise for calling your boy a moron it was uncalled for but he started it :wink:
cressy
Shed dweller

#64 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by cressy »

Maybe so, but its irrelevant as there will be customers who are quite happy to part with the required
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#65 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Ali Tait »

Leaving aside the cost of components and case, does anyone here know the cost of attaining CE certification?
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#66 Re: The best phono stage there is

Cressy said - "Personally, I think that you could price your phono stage alot higher than you do, with justification for that price. But you have your own reasons for setting your price as you do."

You perfectly well know the answer to this. You sell direct so you have very good prices. My better phono stage the Phono2 I sell for £500 because I sell it direct. If i sold it through retail it would be £1000 which is why I picked that figure to quote. Now if anyone wants to contribute to the hi-fi retailer benefit fund they can with pleasure, as long as they know that is all they are doing.

I have done a series of improvements to the standard stage that are only really done as specials for existing customers, all involve mostly power supply work, and even with a massive 25kg external 2000va power supply and Statement style boxes I still cannot get the price above £2500 no matter how I try, because by principle I refuse to rip people off.

I really do not want to discuss NVA or seem like I am selling here, this information is to put the thread into context.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#67 Re: The best phono stage there is

Ali Tait wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:01 pm Leaving aside the cost of components and case, does anyone here know the cost of attaining CE certification?
Nothing but your own time if you have any sense. Pay for and download the documents, read and understand them (there are places to ask if you don't). Write a document stating that you comply and how and why. It is known as self certification and is perfectly legal. BTW it is a non policed process other wise you would not be able to buy valve amplifiers.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#68 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Ali Tait »

LOL, I guess in that case Nick has no sense then. :D
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#69 Re: The best phono stage there is

That is his decision OR the decision of the person who contracts him for the work. As a freelance designer for other companies he would have to go through the test houses as if he self certificates he is then legally responsible for a product that is not his, which would be stupid. I am sure for his own products he sells he self certificates.

Here with Ali we have an example of the eeeediots who post on forums pretending they know something, who think they can laugh at people who do know something. The forums are full of them with AoS being the worst, and that is where this man largely lives.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing
Sheep just lead sheep
A fool with little knowledge insulting a bigger fool for even bothering to communicate with him, who ACTUALLY does know.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#70 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Ali Tait »

Well you're right about one thing Richard, there certainly are some idiots who post on forums. :D
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#71 Re: The best phono stage there is

Well that will be one thing you will be an expert on. This thread proves it.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#72 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Ali Tait »

Yes you're right, as do many of the other threads here you pontificate on.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#73 Re: The best phono stage there is

Are you just going to ignore the correct information given to you and just behave like a duplicate Noddy, or are you going to acknowledge it.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#74 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by IslandPink »

I didn't see a lot of correct information. Nick's parts cost for instance is at least four times the selling price of your phono2.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#75 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Having read the website and all the reviews ,I will wager no money was spent on CE accreditation and the product is self certifying .

I am however amused that their website confirms they are advocates of RD's and NVA'S longstanding belief in the importance of power supplies.

and were is the info on parts costs ? You are saying the parts for the amp cost £2000