The best phono stage there is

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#91 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Ali Tait wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:56 pm
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:39 pm Are you just going to ignore the correct information given to you and just behave like a duplicate Noddy, or are you going to acknowledge it.
Are you just going to continue to ignore my question and carry on with your derogatory comments as usual?
:? what question.
Nick
Site Admin

#92 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Nick »

Is this Nick's phono stage ? Is Nick Audio First , the man with the beared in the photos ?
It says on the back of the Music First Audio Reference Phono Stage "Designed and build in the UK by Longdog Audio Limited". Its my design and I make them using inductors supplied by S&B. I did the R&D and I paid for the third party safety and EMC testing. The selling price is agreed between myself and Jonathan of Music First Audio to cover the build cost, provide me a return on my time during the design and build, provide MFA with a return for their inductors and their marketing and promotion and if sold through one of their dealer network a return for the dealer. We make sure that at any show where one or both of us are in attendance that at least one is available to listen to, so the income from the sales also has to cover the upfront and ongoing costs of that form of marketing.

Not that its any of your business.

I did make an offer to allow you to hear one so you would not be entirely talking out your arse, but clearly you prefer that method of communicating.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#93 Re: The best phono stage there is

Can we do an independent bake-off. I would be very interested and not exactly happy but content with reality if it pissed over the Phono2.

Perhaps another job for Owston.
cressy
Shed dweller

#94 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by cressy »

Ali i dont think there is a standard cost for the ce mark, it depends buying the documentation, on what the product has to be tested for and the testing house charges, plus the cost if the product has to go back to the testing house a couple of times before it passes, so you wouldnt know the exact total until it passes
Nick
Site Admin

#95 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Nick »

I would be happy to do a comparison, though I would ask for a little bit of a better situation that Owston, though I don’t mean that to bias the setup in my favour.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Greg
Social outcast

#96 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Greg »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:31 am :laughing2:

dear o dear -

Its a hifi forum response to a bollocks threat , get a life .

lest see your response to PFP threat including any substantive legal deficiencies or did you just type other peoples work :wink:
There you go. In your so few words you've managed to incorporate at least four spelling mistakes and at least seven grammatical errors.

I have no need to respond to the threats of PFP or to expose legal deficiencies. No one needed to respond because the threats as you well know had no legal credibility. My original comment was based on my ability to recognise an example of a poor quality legal document, mainly through my own court work and the the preparation of the work of others required for court.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#97 Re: The best phono stage there is

Nick you must have realised it was going to raise a lot of eyebrows at that price.

Regarding bake-off. I have made it a *thing* with Arkwright (open all hours - giz us a job) and Fireybum, not so in your case. Anyway or anyhow you wish or not, just interested in how the price can be justified.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#98 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Ali Tait »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:00 pm
Ali Tait wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:56 pm
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:39 pm Are you just going to ignore the correct information given to you and just behave like a duplicate Noddy, or are you going to acknowledge it.
Are you just going to continue to ignore my question and carry on with your derogatory comments as usual?
:? what question.
The question you called me an idiot for asking.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#99 Re: The best phono stage there is

I answered it - nothing but your time.

But if you want to pay for it this guy seems cheap http://www.barclay-phelps.com/
Last edited by Dr Bunsen Honeydew on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

#100 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Nick »

cressy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:08 pm Ali i dont think there is a standard cost for the ce mark, it depends buying the documentation, on what the product has to be tested for and the testing house charges, plus the cost if the product has to go back to the testing house a couple of times before it passes, so you wouldnt know the exact total until it passes
I think Ali's question was rhetorical as he does know what the cost was to get the Ref Phono tested.

To be precise, there is no single "CE" test, there is a set of standards against which a product can be tested and seen to pass or fail, but the actual CE mark is an indication the manufacturer has issued a declaration of conformance certificate. I issue the C of C, and I use the third party testing as documentation towards the conformance to the standards. Ultimately all C of C documents are self issued by the manufacturer or importer not by the testing houses.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#101 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Ali Tait »

cressy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:08 pm Ali i dont think there is a standard cost for the ce mark, it depends buying the documentation, on what the product has to be tested for and the testing house charges, plus the cost if the product has to go back to the testing house a couple of times before it passes, so you wouldnt know the exact total until it passes
The point I was trying to make is that the retail cost of a piece of hi fi is not necessarily limited to the cost of it's components, casework and alleged " dealer slurp".

Too difficult for some here obviously. :D ( not you)
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#102 Re: The best phono stage there is

Nick - Yes but you have to admit the test house gets you off the hook if you are sued or challenged under the law compared with self certification.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#103 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Ali Tait »

Nick wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:16 pm
I think Ali's question was rhetorical as he does know what the cost was to get the Ref Phono tested.

To be precise, there is no single "CE" test, there is a set of standards against which a product can be tested and seen to pass or fail, but the actual CE mark is an indication the manufacturer has issued a declaration of conformance certificate. I issue the C of C, and I use the third party testing as documentation towards the conformance to the standards. Ultimately all C of C documents are self issued by the manufacturer or importer not by the testing houses.
Yes, apologies Nick, I should perhaps have been more clear.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#104 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by IslandPink »

Nick wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:32 pm
I might have told him.
Precisely. Nick and I go back a long way and we correspond almost daily. There's a lot of cost in this and at least one completely original idea in the front-end part of the circuit.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#105 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Nick wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:02 pm
Is this Nick's phono stage ? Is Nick Audio First , the man with the beared in the photos ?
It says on the back of the Music First Audio Reference Phono Stage "Designed and build in the UK by Longdog Audio Limited". Its my design and I make them using inductors supplied by S&B. I did the R&D and I paid for the third party safety and EMC testing. The selling price is agreed between myself and Jonathan of Music First Audio to cover the build cost, provide me a return on my time during the design and build, provide MFA with a return for their inductors and their marketing and promotion and if sold through one of their dealer network a return for the dealer. We make sure that at any show where one or both of us are in attendance that at least one is available to listen to, so the income from the sales also has to cover the upfront and ongoing costs of that form of marketing.

Not that its any of your business.

I did make an offer to allow you to hear one so you would not be entirely talking out your arse, but clearly you prefer that method of communicating.
Don't recall the offer , I will re-read the thread .

So expensive parts , 3 way distribution of money [ potentially] development costs and an unknown number of sales but not mass market .

I also suspect that the price is based on costs of comparable units in terms of SQ .

I do however note , that despite my previous comments , Dave will be taking a cut . :wink:

You are clearly a sensible and intelligent man Nick , adjectives that do not apply to the marketing of your product .

The hifi pig review is ridiculous , an absolute dis-service to your product If it is that good . If you are not embarrassed by the price , you should embrace it like you have done on this thread .