The best phono stage there is

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
cressy
Shed dweller

#76 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by cressy »

How do you know that mark?
Comparing Richards to nicks isnt the point, the point is the percieved value of a 10 grand phono stage.
At ten grand, its at a price point where to the potential buyer doesnt worry about spending that kind of money, so its price is irrelevant.
Thats the point I was trying to make, not wether it is better or worse than anything else. How many units that need to be sold before the product breaks even, i wouldnt like to estimate. But there will be a hell of alot of behind the scenes costs in there. E.g if the prototype units had to go back to a testing house a couple of times, theres a doubled cost right there, all this has to be taken into account
Last edited by cressy on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

#77 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Nick »

Having read the website and all the reviews ,I will wager no money was spent on CE accreditation and the product is self certifying .
And what sum of money would you like to make that public wager for?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#78 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Which factual claim "no money was spent " or "it is self certifying"
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#79 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I am sure it went through a test house, Nick knows what is what.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#80 Re: The best phono stage there is

IslandPink wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:54 pm I didn't see a lot of correct information. Nick's parts cost for instance is at least four times the selling price of your phono2.
Please explain how you know that.

BTW I will happily give a full parts breakdown cost on the phono2
Last edited by Dr Bunsen Honeydew on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

#81 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Nick »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:24 pm Which factual claim "no money was spent " or "it is self certifying"
Either or both.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#82 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Nick »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:28 pm
IslandPink wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:54 pm I didn't see a lot of correct information. Nick's parts cost for instance is at least four times the selling price of your phono2.
Please explain how you know that.

BTW I will happily give a full parts breakdown cost on the phono2
I might have told him.
shane
Social outcast

#83 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by shane »

What a mean-spirited, nasty little thread this is! To come on Nick's forum and imply that he's fleecing the public is, to say the least, poor manners. I don't know if Nick's phono stage is worth £10k, any more than a Bugatti Chiron is worth £2m or a Van Gogh is worth £100m. There are people out there with so much cash that they will buy things like that because of the price. To those I say well done, you've helped Nick make a living which helps me to carry on enjoying this forum (in so far as that's possible these days without drowning in bullshit). There are others who will listen to it, and if it's as good as it's cracked up to be will think it's money well spent. Then there are the rest of us who dream of these things. Some of us think the world is a better place because people like Nick are able to push the limits of what's possible knowing that they won't go bankrupt in the process if they get it right, and there are others who are so consumed with envy that they can only feel good if they carp, belittle and criticise. To those who have heard Nicks phono stage, I would ask what they thought of it. To those that haven't, I would request that they belt up about it until they have.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#84 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Ali Tait »

I've heard one on several occasions, it is utterly superb frankly, I've yet to hear better.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#85 Re: The best phono stage there is

Phono2
Main PCB - £35
Reg PCB (2) - £10
Case - £43
Sundries - £15
PSU
Case - £42
Transformer - £15
Cap, Rec, Sundries £20

Total - £180

Labour - £100
Packing and free shipping £30

Overall - £310
Profit - £190

Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#86 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Is this Nick's phono stage ? Is Nick Audio First , the man with the beared in the photos ?

if that is the case then I would have asked you direct , instead of trying to tease info out and speaking as if the manufacturer was not part of the thread .

edit - The doc as answered my question . and the answer makes the post I responded to silly, nobody is attacking the quality of the work , just the price .

A why do people continually ignore the politics of value , it is not simply a case of bugati veron being worth 2 million or a Picasso being worth 60 million these facts say something profound about the nature of the world we live in .
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#87 Re: The best phono stage there is

shane wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:34 pm What a mean-spirited, nasty little thread this is! To come on Nick's forum and imply that he's fleecing the public is, to say the least, poor manners. I don't know if Nick's phono stage is worth £10k, any more than a Bugatti Chiron is worth £2m or a Van Gogh is worth £100m. There are people out there with so much cash that they will buy things like that because of the price. To those I say well done, you've helped Nick make a living which helps me to carry on enjoying this forum (in so far as that's possible these days without drowning in bullshit). There are others who will listen to it, and if it's as good as it's cracked up to be will think it's money well spent. Then there are the rest of us who dream of these things. Some of us think the world is a better place because people like Nick are able to push the limits of what's possible knowing that they won't go bankrupt in the process if they get it right, and there are others who are so consumed with envy that they can only feel good if they carp, belittle and criticise. To those who have heard Nicks phono stage, I would ask what they thought of it. To those that haven't, I would request that they belt up about it until they have.
No one is saying that, as far as I know Nick has no control over the price of this unit, he did the job he was contracted for, and I am sure did it very well and got paid for it.
Greg
Social outcast

#88 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Greg »

I've heard it several times. I've heard quite a few alternatives although there must be many I haven't heard. Ooo, I've even built a couple myself. Giving regard to others on the market, I would consider it fair value for money. A designer will set their own targets and the price probably reflects that even if it is 10 or 20 times dearer than alternatives of which there are many. To my mind that price difference reflects the difference between mediocrity and excellence.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#89 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Ali Tait »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:39 pm Are you just going to ignore the correct information given to you and just behave like a duplicate Noddy, or are you going to acknowledge it.
Are you just going to continue to ignore my question and carry on with your derogatory comments as usual?
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#90 Re: The best phono stage there is

And as a BTW I would be happy to supply a Phono2 for any comparison bake-off as I would against any phono stage.

I have two challenges out there for the last year that have been deliberately avoided, and at AoS NEBO sabotaged so it didn't happen. That was with the Arkless Electronic modified Cambridge Audio Unit and the Firebottle one - I am now just ignored when I try to make it happen. I can't do it myself as they would then have a get out, it has to be independent.