Welcome to our new arrival: Goldring Lenco GL72 travelling deck

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
DSJR
User

#16 Re: Welcome to our new arrival: Goldring Lenco GL72 travelling deck

Post by DSJR »

cressy wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:11 pm Nope the 75 platter wont fit, just tried it. It has a larger bearing diameter and length. The 75 bearing would have to have the mounting holes reamed bigger to fit as the mounting flange is different and the centre hole made larger aswell.
The 72 platter appears to have been trued on a lathe given the spiral cut into the side surface, and the tooling marks in it. the 69 platter was flat iirc so was probably a simple pressing wheras the 72 platter has had more attention paid to it. Tbh i have seen a couple of 75 platters that are not remotely true. This one is much better than the one on my converted 75
Ah, OK and thanks for the info. :D
cressy
Shed dweller

#17 Re: Welcome to our new arrival: Goldring Lenco GL72 travelling deck

Post by cressy »

Here you go dave and meredith, nearly done

Need some threaded rod for the mounting bolts as the originals arent long enough

Ive added the badge at this stage as if I tried to apply it after doing the wax finish it likely wouldnt stick. I think it looks pretty 'factory' with the badge on
Put my record weight on it so you cant see my terrible choice of record to photograph it with :D

So jobs left to do are to add the rear plate that will hold the iec socket, add the 2 neutrik phono sockets, add the wax finish once the veneer has had 24 hours or so to settle, add the new mounting rods, and wire it up

and a shout for our resident scotsman mr tait, for letting me use the remainder of the veneer bought for his stalled lenco build (bloody material supply issues for a one off part im making for it) for this one as the supplier is still out of stock of it.
who says that scotsmen are tight (dont do it dtb!)
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#18 Re: Welcome to our new arrival: Goldring Lenco GL72 travelling deck

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Oh that looks fantastic - thanks again!

Can't wait to get it home. :bounce:
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
cressy
Shed dweller

#19 Re: Welcome to our new arrival: Goldring Lenco GL72 travelling deck

Post by cressy »

Youre welcome, hopefully it follows the brief as it should.
It will darken abit when the finish is applied so the badge should stand out better and the grain will be more defined.
Irene Idler
User

#20 Re: Welcome to our new arrival: Goldring Lenco GL72 travelling deck

Post by Irene Idler »

It's just as beautiful as I knew it would be! Now if we didn't have to pay an obscene sum of money to get my Leave to Remain renewed for the next 2.5 years, we could pick up an integrated amp/receiver of a suitable vintage and have it up and running in mere moments. While Dave has something very specific in mind, I'm thinking we might be able to thrift something for a few quid that would get the job done temporarily... and if my brother hasn't yet sold my Dad's old Heathkit, maybe I could get him to ship it...

It's just that we bought this job lot of 150 78s and I'm absolutely dying to get them cleaned and play them!
"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman
cressy
Shed dweller

#21 Re: Welcome to our new arrival: Goldring Lenco GL72 travelling deck

Post by cressy »

There will be a shure m44c cart with a 78 stylus on it when you guys collect it, should be able to plug and play.
I have no need for it so you guys can have it
Irene Idler
User

#22 Re: Welcome to our new arrival: Goldring Lenco GL72 travelling deck

Post by Irene Idler »

cressy wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:38 pm There will be a shure m44c cart with a 78 stylus on it when you guys collect it, should be able to plug and play.
I have no need for it so you guys can have it
You are a prince among men. And we really are going to get the place cleaned up and have you lot over sometime soon, but Sunday night we're off to Leeds to see my VERY favorite Danish trash-rock band (OK, they're the only Danish trash-rock band I'm aware of)... It's just a matter of vacuuming up all the dust badgers and deodorising the stairwell and, well. We're not neat freaks, but only a barbarian would invite company over to a flat in this state. :oops:

ETA: the band is http://www.powersolo.dk/ and they're absolute madmen. No two tracks resemble each other in any way. Style: indescribable.
"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman
cressy
Shed dweller

#23 Re: Welcome to our new arrival: Goldring Lenco GL72 travelling deck

Post by cressy »

You havent seen this shithole........
Irene Idler
User

#24 Re: Welcome to our new arrival: Goldring Lenco GL72 travelling deck

Post by Irene Idler »

You haven't smelled this one.
cressy
Shed dweller

#25 Re: Welcome to our new arrival: Goldring Lenco GL72 travelling deck

Post by cressy »

I did get some 4mm studding installed on it today so its fixed into the plinth properly now...... Until I take it back out to sort the wiring out anyway
Another step closer

I also found a second m44c that has a normal stylus on it and I might have a spare headshell somewhere if you want them. Unless dave has a spare cart to stick on it. wouldnt trust the stylus on it though, id replace it as it doesnt look too clever, but they are only about 15 quid off mantra audio. Swap headshells to play normal records on it then
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#26 Re: Welcome to our new arrival: Goldring Lenco GL72 travelling deck

The spare headshell would come in very handy actually, thank you for that. It'll be easier to swap out headshells than stylii.

For now we just bought a cheap Rotel receiver off eBay to set it up in the bedroom, longer term I'd like to partner it with a Quad 44 and the Son of Beast (after the new full-on Beast amps are built), as that has the tone controls needed for 78's.
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#27 Re: Welcome to our new arrival: Goldring Lenco GL72 travelling deck

Irene Idler wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:53 pm You haven't smelled this one.
That cat... :evil:
cressy
Shed dweller

#28 Re: Welcome to our new arrival: Goldring Lenco GL72 travelling deck

Post by cressy »

Finished

Shoved a shure m55 in it and fired it up. I reckon that arm is better than the 75 arm.

And here with its big brother

Its ready when you are.
As an aside, the m55 ive put in the arm is soooooooo sweet. Lovely lovely cart. I hadnt used it until today.
And I found a spare headshell too

Cheers ant
Irene Idler
User

#29 Re: Welcome to our new arrival: Goldring Lenco GL72 travelling deck

Post by Irene Idler »

cressy wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:07 pm Shoved a shure m55 in it and fired it up. I reckon that arm is better than the 75 arm.
That's what Dave said when he looked it over. It's beautiful! You've done us proud!