Goldring G99 build

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#16 Re: Goldring G99 build

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes I remember now, the bearing was modified by a third party all I did was procure a ceramic ball. The upside down part was the other guy's effort aswell as manufacturing a new bush which was supposed to have less chatter than the original bush which was alegedly loose.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#17 Re: Goldring G99 build

Post by Paul Barker »

Paul Barker wrote:Yes I remember now, the bearing was modified by a third party all I did was procure a ceramic ball. The upside down part was the other guy's effort aswell as manufacturing a new bush which was supposed to have less chatter than the original bush which was alegedly loose.
The gas cock grease was my dumb idea.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#18 Re: Goldring G99 build

Post by pre65 »

cressy wrote: And the one phil did that he cut the side off and welded the rolled edge back onto. Whatever happened to that one phil?

Also mentions people buying lenco's for 15 quid on ebay :shock:
l
I think it went to Andrew I, perhaps he can advise. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
cressy
Shed dweller

#19 Re: Goldring G99 build

Post by cressy »

Turned a matching record weight out of a block of oak this morning. After fighting with the lathe for an hour to get the bloody faceplate off. Hadn't taken it off last time I used it so it was an absolute swine to unscrew. Twatting it repeatedly with a rubber mallet finally freed it off enough to unscrew.

Works quite well
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#20 Re: Goldring G99 build

Post by Mike H »

What's the weight of it?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
cressy
Shed dweller

#21 Re: Goldring G99 build

Post by cressy »

202g
I wanted something that just couples the record to the platter better and acts as a damper of sorts rather than something that is heavy and flattens the record

Plus I was thinking on about the td 160 and I didn't want something that will overload the suspension

Plus I'm a tight sod and wasn't about to buy something i can make

I have enough oak to make 3
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#22 Re: Goldring G99 build

Post by IslandPink »

Can you machine metal ?
Cos if you can, it would be very nice to have one of those with a metal insert bonded inside to add some mass. I would have to stain it very dark to look OK on the Nottingham, but it's a part of my system I never really got sorted. Used a doorstop from Lidl for a while , but it was a bit too large in diameter and catches the tonearm/cart as it gets to the runout groove.
Come to think of it I have that somewhere and there's a disc of cast iron in there with a hole already drilled through it.
But to be honest it was a bit heavy , something like 300 to 400g would probably be fine.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#23 Re: Goldring G99 build

Post by Nick »

Why not turn the wood to be hollow, then fill with molten lead/lead shot/iron powder whatever you prefer.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#24 Re: Goldring G99 build

Post by IslandPink »

Ooh you little tinker !
I just had that idea, in the bath - and came down to post about it straight away.
You could core-out three pockets underneath and fill with lead shot ( I have some of the fishing weights somewhere ) and use resin to fuse the lead shot together and to the wood. That should work very nicely.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"