Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Thanks Greg, you're a gentleman and a scholar.
I'll enjoy putting it all together. Our Ant has rebuilt three Mayware Formula IVs over the years,
so between us we should be able to make a good job. :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Got my Shure this morning and have fitted it to the Lenco.

A true sound of the 70s and it's nice.
This for me is what vinyl should be about.
It's warm, analogue, and importantly is giving my old records a new lease of life.
It's good with the Rega arm but what I'm really looking forward to is getting the Shure fitted to Greg's Mayware after I've rebuilt it. :D
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#18 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Paul Barker »

Paul Barker Liked your post.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#19 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by IslandPink »

All sounds very Top Notch to me .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Greg
Social outcast

#20 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Greg »

'The Sound of Bread'. Coincidence. I dug that album out the other day. Recon I hadn't played it for about thirty years :D

Would you like me to post the Mayware to you as Owston is still 10 days away?
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#21 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Greg wrote:'The Sound of Bread'. Coincidence. I dug that album out the other day. Recon I hadn't played it for about thirty years :D

Would you like me to post the Mayware to you as Owston is still 10 days away?
There's no rush Greg I'll collect the arm at Owston, but thanks for the offer. It'll give me something to anticipate :wink:
Greg
Social outcast

#22 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Greg »

OK, that's good because I've been having a rummage tonight and have all the arm parts together, but still looking for some of the ancillary bits I promised you including some arm mounting plates that could be useful. A bit more hunting is required!
Paul Barker

#23 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Paul Barker »

Greg wrote:OK, that's good because I've been having a rummage tonight and have all the arm parts together, but still looking for some of the ancillary bits I promised you including some arm mounting plates that could be useful. A bit more hunting is required!
I made a flask yesterday as usual, then in the van, couldn't find it. Last night hunted high and low. Nowhere to be seen. Probably I put it on the wall or pavement and drove off. Off topic? Oops.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#24 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Mike H »

Even more off topic ~ the other week I 'lost' a small glass of fresh orange juice.

Found it in the microwave.

I'd put it on 10 seconds at 'low' to take the chill off (just come out the fridge) then went off to do something else and forgot I put it in there.

Sometimes I'm not safe to be let out. :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#25 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Just had quite a laugh with a comparison of a couple of familiar tracks with their digital counterparts on the computer.
FFS! I was preferring the bloody vinyl! Had to force myself to come to my senses.
The bad news is that a fair proportion of my records have suffered irreversible damage caused by mistracking K9 and K18
cartridges and are going to have to go to the tip.

It's not as serious as it sounds because TBH my tastes have changed, but it does kind of confirm what I knew from the start and explains why my attitude to the black stuff was so negative. As an illustration. I have a copy of "Wishing Well" by Terence Trent D' Arby on an Eighties compilation off iTunes and it sounds the biz. I compared it with the vinyl version on my copy of his album "Introducing The Hardline According To...." The vinyl version was completely wrecked although to look at the surface of the record it seemed in mint condition. The Shure did its best, but ultimately there was no contest. The bass end was fine but D'Arby's voice was fuzzed out. I remember this track sounding hard, nasty, sibilant and distorted on my LP12, but the ITunes version was kick-ass dynamic and D'Arby's voice oozed menace and attitude; all this from a 256K AAC file too.

Don't get me started either on what my flat earth vinyl setup did to Fine Young Cannibals "The Raw and The Cooked" album, particularly "Good Thing" and their version of the Buzzcocks "Ever Fallen in Love" which was the final track on side 2. Again this album is wrecked. As I said though, my tastes have changed. The good news is that though I have a fair few classical LPs, I wasn't as much into classical in my flat earth days and hardly played them; so fortunately, these have escaped unscathed and therefore sound bloody marvellous on the Lenco! :D

In the end, we have be adult about things, realise that what's done is done, there is nothing to be gained by harbouring grudges and move on. After all, I have a beautifully rebuilt idler turntable; something unique, that no-one else has, a decent cartridge that tracks like a limpet, has a warm and cuddly presentation, that hits the spot, for me at least, and is soon to go in a nice rebuilt classic unipivot arm that will allow the Shure to give of it's best. The fact that I might have to buy a few new records.....well, never mind :D
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#26 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by IslandPink »

Sounds like you need an SPU , which sits in a different part of the groove .... or so they say :D
cressy
Shed dweller

#27 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by cressy »

Or just buy some none knackered copies of the ones that are liked
Or am I the only one with 6 copies of dsotm, 2 of the wall, 4 of kind of blue and 3 of wish you were here.

What can I say, I wore them out :shock:
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#28 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by IslandPink »

...or you forget you already have an album and see one in a shop and go 'ooh that's nice, I need that one' !
Paul Barker

#29 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Paul Barker »

IslandPink wrote:...or you forget you already have an album and see one in a shop and go 'ooh that's nice, I need that one' !
Paul Barker Liked your post in the thread "Help me with my return to the vinyl fold." on audio-talk.co.uk
Neal
Shed dweller

#30 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Neal »

Bring some of them to owston Steve, a quick clean on Nicks RCM may do them some good
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.