Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nick wrote:
They released this as a single
Yup...and this...

and this on 10" single....

...but none were 'hits' sales-wise.

Whereas sheer brilliance-wise (IMHO) they were hits.

*Da Yoot keels over from triple whammy!*

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

I'm feeling smug :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MISUNDERSTOOD ... 3cbfd527b4

'cos I think the condition is more like 'EX' after asking the guy for more details.
If it's original ( I'm pretty sure it is ) and Ex cond. then it would be £50 normally

:reindeer:
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Got the Misunderstood single today .
It's an original and in good 'EX' condition - pretty rare for a disc of that Genre and age . Sorted !!

Now I can't play it because my phono is bust :x
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Now the phono is fixed and I gave it a blast .
Cripes ! - what a track - it's not often you feel intimidated by a record :shock:
No wonder John Peel said they 'reduced the crowd to stunned silence' in Los Angeles in 1968 .
Awethume :!:
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Since last looking here I've acquired a bunch of FLAC files by The Misunderstood. Never knew them then but I sure do know them now - excellent.

In this life I think it's excellent that after all these years I'm still discovering stuff.

Cast your mind back, I'm sure that most males of a certain age collected cards. Bubble gum cards mostly, they came with thin brittle pink oblongs that tasted bitter and made lousy bubbles or they came with little squat fat soft gooey pink oblongs that blew rather good bubbles.

Those who were well 'ard probably collected cigarette cards and had collections of very rare sports cars or celebrity cricketers. They probably also had a hacking cough and latent thrombosis but I digress.

Do you remember that feeling when opening a bubble gum that inside the brittle brightly coloured wrapper lurked that very rare card you'd been hoping to get for the best part of a year? And there it was, in your hand, the card that probably completed the set. Now that was quite a unique feeling, a rare experience.

Today I had that feeling all over again.

I've gone back to playing vinyl again now for 25 months and in that time it has been surprisingly easy to gather all the albums I want on vinyl though around 30 remain stubbornly out of reach.

Today I popped into local charity shop (it's for a Hospice, you know, one of those places that when you go into it, you know the only way you coming out is in a box or an urn) and rummaged their vinyl. Suddenly, staring at me, was Weather Report's 'Heavy Weather'.

What? No...... Couldn't believe it. Inspected, looks good, slight scratch on last track but for a quid I'll have me some. Rushed home, played, it's perfect. Yay! It don't half sound good, the bass on Teen Town - whoah. Some days are good days. I'd been looking for this one for around 18 months.

Whilst I was there I also bought another five Jazz albums for£1 each, mostly cos the titles looked interesting and they were in good nick and they were cheap.

The purchase simply confirmed my long held view that I don't like Jazz. Nope, I really don't.

Here's what I bought:

Jelly Roll Morton and his Red Hot Peppers - The King Of New Orleans Jazz.

- Reminds me of the Bonzo's Jazz: Delicious Hot, Disgusting Cold and 1960's cartoon series. Not for me.

Courtney Pine - Journey To The Urge Within. Pretentious poop.

Jazz Best - 20 Classics. A Few good 'uns on here, Mahalia Jackson, Stan Getz, Sonny Stitt.

Billie Holiday - Lady Of The Blues. Now, I like Billie Holiday but this album was just of early recordings, like listening to a mono cassette recorder from '72 or something.

Charlie Parker plays the Cole Porter songbook. Almost enjoyed, but no.

Some months ago I also listened to a lot of Miles Davis.

It's confirmed - I am not a jazz fan.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Leave the Jazz stuff to us, FBS !

There is a very good LP collection of the Misunderstood singles on Cherry Red ; released around 1982 .
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Wandered around Greenwich market today, noted abnormally high number of people and dozens of pink clad folk hanging around and smiling a lot, Paralympic time, it's busy round 'ere.

Rummaged amongst vinyl vendors wares and came away with this lot for a total of £21.00. And all are fine, though Nancy's a bit scratchy for the first coupla tracks.

No human beings were hurt or injured in the procurement of these phonographic vinyl recordings.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Nice one. What's the blue one in the middle? (Can't read it)

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Mike H wrote:Nice one. What's the blue one in the middle? (Can't read it)
One World - John Martyn.

I owned it on vinyl way back in the day but it wore out. Nice to have it back on vinyl again.

A fave not only of mine but also of DTB.

Top row third from the left, btw, is Creedence Clearwater Revival Gold, not the best of collections but it does have the full versions of Heard It Through The Grapevine and Suzie Q on it.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

A-ha, ta. 'Course I can read it now, now you've told me! :D

I gots Atom Heart Mother too was bought back in the day.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#176 Top Haul

Post by IslandPink »

A very fruitful trip to 'Neptune Records' in Rhyl this afternoon .
I could have bought a complete collection of ZZ Top, but tried to hold back !
The 'Beck's Guitar Shop' by Jeff Beck is not that easy to find - been looking for 2 or 3 years in an off-hand way , hoping it would pop up in the usual places , or local record fairs .
Attachments
Neptunes_082013.JPG
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

For Dave ( t'B. )'s benefit, I've checked all the ZZ Top discs.
They are all German issues with Gema logos on the labels.
I must say the audio quality is not great, and that's not the first time I've had that problem with German pressings.
I had some poor pressings ( these on near-mint items ) of Traffic LPs a few years ago , that were German .
I did however get a very nice early copy of 'SF Sorrow' that was a German Columbia disc.

On the Jeff Beck LP, this one is a bit weird and not what I expected. It's very heavily in 1980's-over-production style. I don't really like these versions of the tracks I'm familar with from later performances, like 'Behind the Veil' and 'Big Block' . Jeff's guitar work seems to be rather overwhelmed and low in the mix.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

The Jeff Beck album was the follow up to Flash, which is not Jeff's (or Nile's) crowning glory by any stretch.
The production of Guitar Shop isn't particularly great, but as a body of music it's not bad at all.

I've pulled this off the rack, and I'm quite enjoying it, despite the iffy production.
Maybe a few spins are in order ....?

DIET - spinning Flash, and while it's not scaling the heights it ain't half bad either.
Chris :happy3:
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks Chris . I probably gave the impression I didn't like it at all, but it is good ; it's just not quite what I expected. As you say, it will likely grow on me as I play it a few times. The recording quality is very good, although digital of course being from 1989 .

There are great tracks on all the ZZ Top LP's , but I think I'll have to get some US issues, as Dave has suggested to me , for the better pressing quality.
I really like 'Cheap Sunglasses' though , very interesting track .

Now 'Flash' is a new one on me - never heard of that one. Who are the personnel ?
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Yups. I found a US copy (in a Bric a brac shop in Brighton) of Duguello (sp?) and the sound in it was so much 'richer' than the German pressings I've got of the same album.

I've got a soft spot for Mr Becks Guitar 'shop, mostly due to the fact that a band I used to play in covered 'Big Block', not yer average pub band cover material :-)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"