SL1200 at 78rpm

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
t-m
User

Post by t-m »

Will do, but it's probably going to be a while before I have a chance to look at this.
adam_v64
New User

#32 Re: SL1200 at 78rpm

Post by adam_v64 »

Hello everyone,

I'd like to resurrect this thread and ask if anybody has had any success at this? I am also looking to add this facility to my 1210 mk2s but simply don't have the money for the professional jobs on offer. In an ideal world I'd get someone else to do it :)

I first wondered if I could make a modification to the pitch fader to enable the table to spin at 78rpm, but found the deck is at its fastest when the slider is at its minimum setting - so no room to add extra resistance here unless I want to slow it further. The other possibility is switch out the pot that designates the pitch fader range for a higher value, but then I would need to switch out the 20k slide pot for something that allows more detailed adjustment. Both options seem poor in reality, and the crystal switch looks like the best option. I've bought a couple of crystals and will test them myself and report back on my findings.

Being such a great turntable Im amazed there is not a guide for this online somewhere.

Best Regards
Adam
adam_v64
New User

#33 Re: SL1200 at 78rpm

Post by adam_v64 »

Update: Tonight I tried the following crystals myself, and found the same results (turntable moves back and forth and no response from start/stop button). So these DONT work:

FOX ELECTRONICS - FOXSLF/098-20 - CRYSTAL, 9.8304MHZ, 20PF
http://uk.farnell.com/fox-electronics/f ... dp/2063993

LFXTAL003279 - IQD FREQUENCY PRODUCTS - CRYSTAL, 9.8304MHZ, 30PF, HC49
http://uk.farnell.com/iqd-frequency-pro ... dp/2449441

@Dave, I think you said it should be parallel resonant? Most specs I see dont specify if series or parallel sadly. The above I tried have 2 different load capacitance values. 20pf and 30pf respectively.

I've ordered some of the below to try, not sure if I will have any luck. I will however persevere and try and find the correct crystal:

9.8304MHz Crystal xtal Oscillator HC49S 9.8304 MHz Electronic Components
http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/hc49s-9 ... dp/1666998

I'd be happy to try a DDS of some sort, but Im quite new to oscillators and not sure how I would connect a DDS in place of the crystal.
Dave Cawley
User

#34 Re: SL1200 at 78rpm

Post by Dave Cawley »

Send me the crystal ? Since this thread started I have done another dozen +

Regards

Dave
"if it measures well and sounds good, it is good : "if it measures badly and sounds bad it is bad" : "if it measures badly and sounds good, it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad it is bad"
Greg
Social outcast

#35 Re: SL1200 at 78rpm

Post by Greg »

Dave Cawley wrote:Send me the crystal ? Since this thread started I have done another dozen +

Regards

Dave
With respect, Dave, this is a DIY forum where members share their knowledge per se. You are a trader. I have no doubt that should anyone respond to your last post, there would be a cost involved. That is inappropriate here IMHO, especially as you have just resurfaced here after six months without any previous contribution having lurked a bargain to be had in the for sale section. I, and I hope others here don't like your kind of opportunist non-contributory approach, aspecially as you are in the trade.

I'm not, but if I were Jack, I'd happily tell you to feck off!
Dave Cawley
User

#36 Re: SL1200 at 78rpm

Post by Dave Cawley »

I think Greg will find I have contributed more to this thread than anyone here, certainly more than Greg has ???

However the offer is now withdrawn because of Greg, and according to Greg everyone else here too. It was free, now its dead. Shame on you Nick..............

Dave
"if it measures well and sounds good, it is good : "if it measures badly and sounds bad it is bad" : "if it measures badly and sounds good, it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad it is bad"
Greg
Social outcast

#37 Re: SL1200 at 78rpm

Post by Greg »

Hm, contribution certainly is not an offer of help. Possibly you made an offer, but what you wrote was so indistinct, how could anyone after six months absence consider it seriously?

Be more specific and we will know exactly what you are offering. At the moment, your offer is an illusion. Now withdrawn, it's not even that!
Nick
Site Admin

#38 Re: SL1200 at 78rpm

Post by Nick »

Shame on you Nick
Say what?

I just provide the server space and maintain the forum, you may find it hard to believe, but I don't have my hand up everyone’s back.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mudshark
Old Hand

#39 Re: SL1200 at 78rpm

Post by Mudshark »

Dave it had nowt to do with Nick.

Greg yer a fukin numpty, your actions have it seems scuppered Dave's kind offer to other forum members.....Best head back to yer shed now you selfish tit. :twisted:
Mudshark
Old Hand

#40 Re: SL1200 at 78rpm

Post by Mudshark »

Russ cant you just buy a decent 78 spinner.....Why faf about modding a techie. :?:
Rudolph Hucker.
Old Hand

#41 Re: SL1200 at 78rpm

Post by Rudolph Hucker. »

the 1200 technics is a very good deck..wiped the floor with my lp12 lingo ekos arkiv circa 1992..
lp12 is a joke..over 20k todays top spec one lol.
has anyone here heard the top spec linn lp12 made today?
i would love to run it through it's paces
the craziest audio forum on the planet
http://www.snakeoilaudio.com/
Mudshark
Old Hand

#42 Re: SL1200 at 78rpm

Post by Mudshark »

LP12. I would love to run over it. :evil:
Rudolph Hucker.
Old Hand

#43 Re: SL1200 at 78rpm

biggest pos in the hifi world
i got fooled by it back in the late 80's and 90's

over priced under engineered cack
Mudshark
Old Hand

#44 Re: SL1200 at 78rpm

Post by Mudshark »

Aye I fell for the bullshit hype too......

£28000 wtf, a £250 rega 1 would piss on it.
Rudolph Hucker.
Old Hand

#45 Re: SL1200 at 78rpm

28k?

jesus wept..for 28k i would expect audio heaven
but in reality you'll get the small chance it will sound a little better than say a planer 3..do the twats pay that? :shock:

planer 3 is all u need really..that deck will sound 99% as good as anything..anything else is ocd.
look a normal person buys a hifi..he gets it home and plays music..when it stops working he replaces it..an audiofool spends every waking hour searching for something that dont exist..