SP10 Troubles

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Cummon Neal, that's a bit strong mate.

We're all buddies on here. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

The SP10 is an excellent deck . I spent a long time working with the 401 and could never get the treble where I wanted it. The SP10 has more treble refinement, I'm sure , as does the Hyperspace etc, but you're paying a lot for a Hyperspace and you still need a special (rim-drive) motor like the 'Verus' to give it the snap that you get from a Garrard or an SP10 .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Neal wrote:
Paul Barker wrote:One more reason to rejoice in a great big oversized synchronous motor and oversized bearing a rubber wheel and induction break.
Why do you keep crapping on this thread?
Wasn't intended maliciously, was awstruck by the complexity of the beast and just making light hearted comments in response.

I am flabbergasted that anyone would get down and dirty with such a complicated turntable. I do know they sound about the same as a good Garrard 401 as I heard the direct comparrison. But I have always preferred a good 301 to a good 401. So I don't see that my comments relating to the 301 in the light of this thread are either out of context inappropriate irrelevant condesending or nasty.

I thought my light hearted yet targeted comments were on cue.

But that depends on the mutual understanding of the reader.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

pre65 wrote:Cummon Neal, that's a bit strong mate.
Hey Phil - are you suggesting Paul isn't quite annoying at times ?
He's annoyed some of the greatest people in the audio game, in his time .
You should have more respect for that talent .
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

IslandPink wrote:
Hey Phil - are you suggesting Paul isn't quite annoying at times ?
He's annoyed some of the greatest people in the audio game, in his time .
You should have more respect for that talent .
I know but in this instance I was not intending to annoy.

I was already awstruck when Nick first fixed one of these, but after Neal posted pictures of all the components inside and the more they both talked about the complexity I was jaw dropped.

My little triode mind is just so totally incapable of dealing with all this solid state stuff in the amplification process, but to go into the depths of an SP10 is way out of my capability.

I have utmost respect for Nick and Neal's capabilities to learn and understand these issues. I wasn't wanting to detract from that. Yet I still feel it is not worth it. For me anyway.
Last edited by Paul Barker on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Paul Barker wrote: I have utmost respect for Nick and Andrews capabilities to learn and understand these issues. I wasn't wanting to detract from that. Yet I still feel it is not worth it. For me anyway.
How much did you pay for your 301 and the slate plinth, when you paid for them ??
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I bought the 301 at a radio Rally in 1999 for £60 and the Slate plinth was £400.

the 301 I had left on the shelf for years as I was unaware how wonderful it was. It was a real shock when I finally got round to trying it. Before that I had belkieved all the garbage on the web about the lencos.

I am afraid like everything on the web it all has to be tested for yourself. After trying the 301 I would never bother with the Lenco again.

If it is of any interest a quick completed listing search shows the 301 bought wisely at £500 to £600 the SP10 at £400. Not a huge gulf. There are more 301's on sale than SP10's. It is true that some go for over £1,000 but there are still some changing hands for £500.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Paul Barker wrote:
Neal wrote:
Paul Barker wrote:One more reason to rejoice in a great big oversized synchronous motor and oversized bearing a rubber wheel and induction break.
Why do you keep crapping on this thread?
Wasn't intended maliciously, was awstruck by the complexity of the beast and just making light hearted comments in response.......

.........So I don't see that my comments relating to the 301 in the light of this thread are either out of context inappropriate irrelevant condesending or nasty.

I thought my light hearted yet targeted comments were on cue.
Well there not. You made a comment previously as well, you showed your intent and now try to laugh it off and you readily admit:
I know but in this instance I was intending to annoy.
The thread was never about the relative merits or cost of a 301/401 vs an SP10 but about how to get the darn things working when they break. For some reason you're baiting and trying to score some sort of point. Bizarre.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

No its not Phil, my response is completely appropriate.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Neal wrote:
Well there not. You made a comment previously as well, you showed your intent and now try to laugh it off and you readily admit:
I'm not laughing, and never have during this thread. How can you know that I am laughing?
Neal wrote: For some reason you're baiting and trying to score some sort of point. Bizarre.
If you receive it as baiting then it becomes baiting. That much is true.

wry humour can be turned into baiting by the target if the understanding of the mood isn't mutual.

But the point is tyhat you are discussing something publically which anyone is entitled to comment on a very significant aspect of. If your feelings are hurt by someone stating the obvious go private.
Laurence
I am not a user, I am a free man

Post by Laurence »

I like the transcriptors; better top end. It's about preferences. No need to get all shirty over it.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Thanks, Paul and I are OK now, we've moved on so enjoy your Transcriptor...
Max N
Old Hand

Post by Max N »

Hi Neal
I haven't been on the forum for a few weeks, so just catching up now. I just wanted to say this thread is much appreciated, and I know it'll come in handy when I get round to re-furbishing my SP10s. So thanks for going to all the trouble of posting the information, the links, the images and so on.

I still haven't even got my new scope out of the box yet. :oops:
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

I'll run yer new scope in for you Max.... no need to thank me.... :)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Max N wrote: I still haven't even got my new scope out of the box yet. :oops:
Cheers Max...shame on you though ;) I take it your flat out busy for the new season...