SP10 Troubles

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

cressy wrote:that one in the video is the actual one i bought, the seller put that video up to show it all working properly. :D

ive wanted an sp10 for a long time but i was never sure what i needed to buy, ive seen alot with separate psu's and alot without. alot pulled from consoles (radio stations?) with all sorts of other gubbins with them. i might get one eventually :roll: or one of the big denons :D
Did the guy speak Clingon and does he perhaps tie his own flies for fly fishing and do really charismatic videos of how to tie a fly aswell?
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Cleaned the bearing on the 'new' '10, not much oil in it, it was a little dry but the spindle and bearing seem in good order, probably caught it just in time.

It was grubby as you can see. I don't think the deck has been opened since new and everything seems original. The timing was off as I would expect and I highly suspect the PSU is not the one that shipped with the deck from new!

i've now recapped the PSU fitted a UK mains lead and earthed it! On the deck I've adjusted the master clock, reference frequency plus the timings and all seems very stable. I'm not sure the deck its self needs any futher work at this point.

Looking as the wave forms they compare directly to my other deck so some of the anomalies I was seeing seem to be inherent to the SP10 although the spurious noise I see on my other deck is missing from this one......so more work to do.

Motor drive from two of the three phase for reference: They wont ever be clean as in the service manual!

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

You do know you can dump the screen bitmap to a USB stick?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Yes, not worked out how yet :oops:
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Aha!

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Woooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrh! Nice one Neal.

I need one of these.

Now.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Good init! I didn't realise I could measure frequency and period timing using the cursor thingymabobbys as well, well chuffed with it.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

I've got a big fairly old Philips that has cursor functions on when in digital mode, really handy innums.

The UNI-T are much smaller and swanky. Oooo, only 8 months to me Birthday!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Neal wrote:Good init! I didn't realise I could measure frequency and period timing using the cursor thingymabobbys as well, well chuffed with it.
There are lots of nice things they do, I am sure the real grown up scopes do it as well, but its nice to have it with something I can afford. The zoom between cursors is nice as well if I can remember how to do it.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Are those peaks flattened or is it just the resolution of the downloaded file? Must be resolution because they are sinusoidal on the photograph.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Paul Barker wrote:Are those peaks flattened or is it just the resolution of the downloaded file? Must be resolution because they are sinusoidal on the photograph.
Could be the cursors doing it?
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Just the resolution of the pixels I reckon

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Yes, it the screen capture resolution, the one above is scaled up to 800x600...the 'scope saves them as 320x240

On a service note for the SP-10 the 32.5v rail needs to be adjusted before any other adjustments are made, tweaking it afterwards will alter the 33.3 and 78rpm timing.

I couldn't workout why the timing changed when plugging in my other PSU, the 32.5v rail was slightly lower :roll:
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

One more reason to rejoice in a great big oversized synchronous motor and oversized bearing a rubber wheel and induction break.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Paul Barker wrote:One more reason to rejoice in a great big oversized synchronous motor and oversized bearing a rubber wheel and induction break.
Whats your problem Paul? Why cant you let me and others who appreciate what the SP10 is and how it performs from enjoying it? Why do you keep crapping on this thread? OK we get it you like your 301 and your think its the dogs danglies and nothing else can touch it, fine, you've stated your opinion.

I started this thread as I had an issue with my deck and needed to seek out information in order to fix it. As I've learnt about the deck I wanted to add to the thread so others who may find themselves in a similar situation had information to hand that may help them in the future. I didn't start it so you could start a pissing contest and be derisory as to my choice of turntable.