Latest squeeze

Anything to do with the things that make the music we listen to.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

I have a mighty mite on my fretless jazz. Its been there since 1999 and hasn't needed the slightest tweak.......when I enquired for a replacement neck at the time Fender said they use these necks, which is why they have(or at least mine has) the fender license written on the back.....nothing bad to say about it at all...
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

ed wrote:I have a mighty mite on my fretless jazz. Its been there since 1999 and hasn't needed the slightest tweak.......when I enquired for a replacement neck at the time Fender said they use these necks, which is why they have(or at least mine has) the fender license written on the back.....nothing bad to say about it at all...
thank Ed
this is getting better by the minute
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Found these earlier http://www.axesrus.com/pickassy.html
Looks like a good way to go.
They also do a rolled steel block for around £25.

Are you going to run with gold hardware (I noticed the gold on the jack plate), or are you going to fit chrome?
The gold looks nice against the finish on the body.
For tuners I can't recommend the Fender/Schaller locking ones highly enough.
I can strongly recommend that you use the Fender/Schaller Straplok system too - you'll not see a guitar hitting the deck if you use this system.
Chris :happy3:
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

good link Chris, they do look cheap enough,
one problem I am having is finding a loaded pickguard with the 57 spec 8 holes they all seem to have the later 11 holes, I'm just trying to avoid having to do a lot of wiring, :?

I am going all gold with locking Schallers, gold neck plate ect.
should look good, I've even got a set of SRV headstock decals although that
might be going to far

found these people
http://www.croxguitars.com/profile.htm

seem to have some interesting things
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

I didn't even count the screw holes - I thought I spotted a third colour in the 'burst, and assumed it was late 50s/early 60s stylee.
Forgetting that in '58 they did a 3 tone sunburst (Buddy Holly's last Strat was a '58 model) - so 8 screw scratchplate would be in keeping.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

The Stratmangler wrote:I didn't even count the screw holes - I thought I spotted a third colour in the 'burst, and assumed it was late 50s/early 60s stylee.
Forgetting that in '58 they did a 3 tone sunburst (Buddy Holly's last Strat was a '58 model) - so 8 screw scratchplate would be in keeping.
it is a bit of a mine field, to be honest I don't know what SRV's original was
but fender went with 3 colour sunburst and 57 tuners pick guard and strap buttons, I don't want to make it a faithful copy but the pickguard and tremolo I'm stuck with
David

The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Stevie's main squeeze was a combination of bits from different years.
He bought is like that.
As far as I know the neck originally fitted to it was replaced because he wore it out :shock:

http://www.srvguitar.com/theguitar.html
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

The Stratmangler wrote:Stevie's main squeeze was a combination of bits from different years.
He bought is like that.
As far as I know the neck originally fitted to it was replaced because he wore it out :shock:

http://www.srvguitar.com/theguitar.html
wow that site does go into it in great detail, don't know where you find them Chris :)

don't know how far to go down the replica path, the arm is totally different and possibly easier to play, I don't want to use heavy strings and I haven't got jumbo frets, I think I'll have go with the Texas specials or as this site suggests Seymour Duncans I wish I had more experience of how these p/ups sound
David

The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

david C wrote:wow that site does go into it in great detail, don't know where you find them Chris :)

don't know how far to go down the replica path, the arm is totally different and possibly easier to play, I don't want to use heavy strings and I haven't got jumbo frets, I think I'll have go with the Texas specials or as this site suggests Seymour Duncans I wish I had more experience of how these p/ups sound
I'd suggest doing what I do - bang a set of 10s on it, tighten the truss rod a touch and set the action as low as you're comfortable with, without the notes choking out on extreme bends.
I wouldn't get too hung up on pickups - it's not like they come with any talent enhancing capabilities, eh ;)

Next time I restring my Candy Apple Red Strat I'm going to whip the scratchplate off and wire the bridge pickup to operate on tone 2 with the middle pickup, and see if I get on better with the bridge pickup on its own.

I must admit, I quite fancy a Texas loaded White Pearl scratchplate for Candy http://www.axesrus.com/pickassy.html
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

The Stratmangler wrote:
I'd suggest doing what I do - bang a set of 10s on it, tighten the truss rod a touch and set the action as low as you're comfortable with, without the notes choking out on extreme bends.
I wouldn't get too hung up on pickups - it's not like they come with any talent enhancing capabilities, eh ;)

Next time I restring my Candy Apple Red Strat I'm going to whip the scratchplate off and wire the bridge pickup to operate on tone 2 with the middle pickup, and see if I get on better with the bridge pickup on its own.

I must admit, I quite fancy a Texas loaded White Pearl scratchplate for Candy http://www.axesrus.com/pickassy.html
I think I'm getting too hung up watching 10 year olds on youtube :roll:
I'm going to phone axesrus tomorrow and see if they will do me a 57 style pickguard with their Texas pickups

at least it's keeping me of the streets
David

david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

spoke to Axesrus this morning,
very helpful, quite happy to supply their Texas blues loaded picguard with the 57 spec 8 holes, so that's the way for me,

one thing that interests me going round the web is the amount of people who are quite happy to take an immaculate strat and totally destroy the finish to make it like the SRV no1,
David

The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

david C wrote:spoke to Axesrus this morning,
very helpful, quite happy to supply their Texas blues loaded picguard with the 57 spec 8 holes, so that's the way for me,

one thing that interests me going round the web is the amount of people who are quite happy to take an immaculate strat and totally destroy the finish to make it like the SRV no1,
Result with the scratchplate :)

Something I find bemusing is the willingness of folk to purchase brand new instruments that are distressed to look like they've been through a few wars, when in reality they've never been out of a case at a gig.
I can understand it if it's a tribute model, such as the Rory Gallagher strat, but otherwise I'd rather have an unblemished one and wear it in myself.

david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

WOW there's not much left of the sunburst on that one

reading that SRV site, when Fender produced the limited edition SRV no1 it was priced so high that only collectors could afford them and I don't think they sold the whole run,

just got the tuners to buy now, Schallers look like they're out of my price range so it going to modern Gotohs
David

david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

the Mighty Mite neck turned up this morning
to be honest I wasn't expecting anything great but what a surprise beautifully finished and the frets look great
I had visions of having to do a lot of work on them
I think it'll go on and play
David

The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

david C wrote:the Mighty Mite neck turned up this morning
to be honest I wasn't expecting anything great but what a surprise beautifully finished and the frets look great
I had visions of having to do a lot of work on them
I think it'll go on and play
Excellent :D