My head amp

Anything to do with the things that make the music we listen to.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Paul Barker wrote:The tone I would like is like the track "A man and the blues" Budy Guy.
The tone is in your fingers.
You can use the exact same instrument and amplifier that Buddy used, and there ain't no way on earth you'll sound like him without putting in the work.

Buddy, by the way, can use any guitar/amp combination and he'll always sound like Buddy Guy.
Chris :happy3:
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Interesting. He plays Hendrix at least as good as Hendrix if not better. Clever man.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Paul Barker wrote:Interesting. He plays Hendrix at least as good as Hendrix if not better. Clever man.
Some would suggest its the other way round :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Nick wrote:
Paul Barker wrote:Interesting. He plays Hendrix at least as good as Hendrix if not better. Clever man.
To quote from Wiki
A key influence on Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy put the Louisiana hurricane in 1960s electric Chicago blues as a member of Muddy Waters' band and as a house guitarist at Chess Records.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

The Stratmangler wrote:
Nick wrote:
To quote from Wiki
A key influence on Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy put the Louisiana hurricane in 1960s electric Chicago blues as a member of Muddy Waters' band and as a house guitarist at Chess Records.
When Jimi first hit Buddy was asked whether Hendrix had been an influence.
The response was somethig along the lines of "I ain't never heard of no Jimi Hendrix. You'd better go ask him if he's heard of me".
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes I know that the rock guitarists all got their influence from their fore runners especially Buddy Guy.

What I was meaning was that the tricks Hendrix pulled out of this former influence, Buddy guy proved he could also do. It's on You Tube.

Or to be more specific, Hendrix pulled out some new sounds influenced by those who previously held the limelight and this one of them Buddy was able with ease to also do the same thing. The style changed but the skill didn't.
Last edited by Paul Barker on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

The Stratmangler wrote: Buddy, by the way, can use any guitar/amp combination and he'll always sound like Buddy Guy.
Word!

here's the Jaco equiv. to that statement.

JP on a thru neck Carl Thompson fretless playing the track 'Continuum'. FF to ~5.09...

To me he looks to be struggling at times physically with that bass. His playing was still awethumne even this late in his career when he was kept on the straight and narrow.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

that link doesn't show in my new Windows 8 bunbdled IE. Despight the fact I downloaded Flash Player.

I'd better download another browser. This is very much an evaluation version.
edit:
Yep, downloaded Chrome which took seconds, and there is the link! And I can also block adds.
Last edited by Paul Barker on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

What I was meaning was that the tricks Hendrix pulled out of this former influence, Buddy guy proved he could also do. It's on You Tube.
Yep, but what I think Chris and I mean (not that it matters) is that Buddy was doing a lot of those tricks first. Not that I am in any way running Jimi down, far from it.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Nick wrote:
Yep, but what I think Chris and I mean (not that it matters) is that Buddy was doing a lot of those tricks first. Not that I am in any way running Jimi down, far from it.
Yes I know it is what you meant, I was just showing it was also what I meant.

But I only qualify to comment as a listener, not as a player.

I really enjoyed finding buddy Guy doing Hendrix on youtube you guys who are closer to the guitar world probably knew all along.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

And to look to the other side SRV did a great Hendrix of course.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

This conversation is interesting. I get the impression BB is being truthful and Buddy is trying to play Hendrix down.

Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Thinking outside the box.

Look at this schematic please?

Image of th

I am thinking the nasty distortion spectrum of the first pentode partially cancelled by the inverted distortion spectrum of the output pentode which has no feedback.

So it may sound surprisingly good. Though the first pentode might be noisy.

Shall I hook it up?

I would leave out the tremelo circuit on the right hand side, unbypass the ef86 cathode and forget the tone control.

It's a VOX AC4. Has that got a good reputation?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

As mentioned before the noise from a tele's single coil pickups will swamp any pentode noise. And Tremelo can be a nice effect.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Ah I missed the pickup noise comment as my tele isn't yet built I have yet to find out.

SO the tremelo worth trying?