My head amp

Anything to do with the things that make the music we listen to.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Paul Barker wrote:I can get that tone but not anywhere near that ability. No ability at all yet.
Get yourself a copy of Bert's "learn to play in a day" Paul. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

SteveTheShadow wrote:Wish I could play guitar but I have never succeeded in getting a clean chord out of one. My finger ends are all at least the diameter of 1p pieces. Cant get a finger onto a string anywhere on the neck without touching the adjacent ones :lol:

My fingers are too fat to play guitar, too short to play piano. I was given a euphonium at school and I'm a dab hand on the treble recorder with Irish jigs. I would be brilliant barping away on the baritone sax in a soul brass section, only two notes to learn; bard-up, bard-up, bard-up :lol: :lol:
Never stopped this chap

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Fantastic clip.

I see there where the organ echos him near the end reminded me of Ritchie Blackmore and Ian Gillam inspiration for that Made in Japan track where they both echo each other. I was always impressed with Ian Gillam's vocal ability some places you couldn't tell which one of them it was, as one tried to make human voice sound like guitar and other made guitar sound like human voice.

Those prog rock guys certainly were influenced by these guys.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

SteveTheShadow wrote:Wish I could play guitar but I have never succeeded in getting a clean chord out of one. My finger ends are all at least the diameter of 1p pieces. Cant get a finger onto a string anywhere on the neck without touching the adjacent ones :lol:
Tried bass?

For a beginner to pick up, I'd say its easier than guitar. When it gets advanced, I'd say its more difficult.
If I bring my bass along to Owston for Mr Bass to try/laugh at, feel free to have a go.

Paul, for a device to help you get more practice in, I can strongly recommend the Vox Amplug range, particularly the AC30.
They allow you to get a rather good sound through headphones, so you can play at night when people don't want to be disturbed.

Chris
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

For a beginner to pick up, I'd say its easier than guitar. When it gets advanced, I'd say its more difficult.
I would love to know at what point the guitar gets easier than the bass, I look forward to finding it:-)

TBH, I think all the A is easier than B only holds true until you spend a bit of time playing either and you discover what a lifetime of study mastering either is. And thats just the physical training to actually play the thing, not including musical theory to learn what to play.

Though I agree, if you are half way serious in playing Paul, remove as many of the reasons not to play. Having headphones to play through can make the difference between playing now and then and a solid two hours a day.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

The Amplug looks to be a good idea :)
I've not long since returned home with one of these...

It's a Blackstar HT-1R combo.
1 watt of lovely valve power.
You'd be surprised at how loud 1 watt is .... 8)
Chris :happy3:
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

You'd be surprised at how loud 1 watt is
No I won't, if you go back two pages on this thread you will find I did exactly the same two weeks ago :-)

Nice arn't they? at least for the tone and volume I was looking for.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Nick wrote:
You'd be surprised at how loud 1 watt is
No I won't, if you go back two pages on this thread you will find I did exactly the same two weeks ago :-)

I didn't see that post Nick, but you're right, they are very, very nice.
Plenty loud and great tone.
Chris :happy3:
ed
retired

Post by ed »

for secret practising I thoroughly recommend one of these.....I'm not sure if you can still get them new but if you see a secndhand one it's got to be worth grabbing.....I've had this one about 30 years and it's still going strong. You clip it on your strap and it drives any old headphones...brill!
Attachments
100_1390.JPG
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

FWIW I started off on acoustic guitar for about 6 months then a mate lent me a bass guitar. A life-changing moment for me. Bass guitar was (still is in some ways) a mystery to me, what did it do? How does it fit 'in' with music? Whats it all about? This 'groove thing'? How do I play on the '1'?

IMHO its an easy instrument to play initially, its only got 4 strings (USUALLY) plus frets so you don't have to worry (much) about intonation afterall but its as hard as any other to master.

The hardest part is when folks/parents ask you to 'play a tune we might know...' on the bass guitar to see how you're getting on. Errr!

E.g. Play most parents a note for note rendition of Portrait of Tracy and I'm pretty sure they wont get the work that goes into playing that (let alone composing it in the 1st place, poor old Jaco). Ok, so what to play? Idea! The bass part to The Chain by Fleetwood Mac....? Aaaaah! They'll recognize that... but its not a tune like 'Yesterday' or 'Imagine' is it.... er no Mum!

At least with a guitar you can play 'A Hard Days Night' and sing along and I bet within 1 minute your folks are tapping or singing along too.

Try that with Bass Guitar... " c'mon Mum, you take Joe's Synth part on Teen Town whilst I play the lead.....".

Fail!

Thats one reason why Bass Guitar is a 'funny' instrument to learn IMHO.

DTB

P.S. I think I finally got me Mum to see I was OK on the Bass when she came to a gig and after a slap-athon bass solo followed by a barrage of well-known Disco numbers where the audience went potty she finally 'got' what Bass guitar was about and why I did it....Only took about 11 yrs to ... duh! :lol:
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Dave the bass wrote: How do I play on the '1'?
left yourself wide open there ol buddy....but I'll resist
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Nick wrote:
We're still awaiting a full sound report on that...

... and do you still want those 12" drivers?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

chris661 wrote:
Nick wrote:
We're still awaiting a full sound report on that...

... and do you still want those 12" drivers?
If I remember I will bring it to Owston and you can have a play. Yes please with the drivers, still mean to make a amp. You never know, one day I may need more than one watt :-)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

ed wrote:
Dave the bass wrote: How do I play on the '1'?
left yourself wide open there ol buddy....but I'll resist
I'm still learning but for now I'll defer to Bootsy.....

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Awwwsome, even Bootsy burpin