Logitech media server

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
cressy
Shed dweller

#1 Logitech media server

Post by cressy »

Hi guys, quick question that i cant seem to find the answer to.
My laptop gave me the option to upgrade to windows 10 foc when it is released, but i have just thought on and wonder if logitec media server will actually work with windows 10.
I cant seem to find anything about this.
The laptop has itunes on it, the files are all on a 1tb nas. Media server is then on the laptop and uses the itunes files.
If media server wont work with windows 10 then i can either dig out the apple tv and dac and run the music directly off itunes using the tv to control it, or not bother to upgrade the os.
Tbh i would rather upgrade the os.
Cheers for any help
Ant
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#2 Re: Logitech media server

Post by Paul Barker »

Windows 10 evaluation copy just trashed my laptop. IF it helps you decide.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#3 Re: Logitech media server

Post by simon »

Maybe I'm just paranoid but I'm always wary that the next MS OS is going to need a lot more hardware to run smoothly than the OS the computer came with.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#4 Re: Logitech media server

Post by Paul Barker »

They put 7 on our CF19's which were designed for XP and it is not going well. I would rather have XP back. But its a complicated situation because they have had to alter the systems we run to work in 7. It had to be done because of the fact XP is not supported now.

The systems we use could do with a complete re-design onto a modern platform. Legend has it that BG just bought the original systems from some other company may have been the water board but I don't know, and they just adapted it to gas. It is certainly clumsy enough for that to be true. Adapting to 7 has doubled that problem.

Someone with decent field engineer experience needs to be sat with a systems analyst specifying an entirely new system from scratch.

It'll never happen! So the engineers just have to plug the gaps and force some sense out of it to get through the day.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#5 Re: Logitech media server

Post by The Stratmangler »

cressy wrote:Hi guys, quick question that i cant seem to find the answer to.
My laptop gave me the option to upgrade to windows 10 foc when it is released, but i have just thought on and wonder if logitec media server will actually work with windows 10.
I cant seem to find anything about this.
The laptop has itunes on it, the files are all on a 1tb nas. Media server is then on the laptop and uses the itunes files.
If media server wont work with windows 10 then i can either dig out the apple tv and dac and run the music directly off itunes using the tv to control it, or not bother to upgrade the os.
Tbh i would rather upgrade the os.
Cheers for any help
Ant
There's no mention of Windows 10 on the http://www.mysqueezebox.com site.
There are no threads about Windows 10 on the http://www.slimdevices.com site either.
I would be surprised if there was no community development work (ie. the collective that write the various bits of LMS - should be called the Squeezebox Massif) to be honest.
As Paul has said, he has been running an evaluation version of the OS for a while, so I can't see the Squeezebox guys and gals not having started the ball rolling.
Until the bona fide rollout of Windows 10 starts to occur I'd expect little to said.

The latest official version of LMS is 7.7.5, and 7.9.0 is under development http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.9, so possibly the answer to your question lies there.
Chris :happy3:
cressy
Shed dweller

#6 Re: Logitech media server

Post by cressy »

quick question, having partially rebuilt my itunes library i have reinstalled lms and set it off scanning so i have at least part of it to listen to. there is now a field under the artist heading on the squeezebox called no artist. there are 3 albums in there that i recognised from the track names. i went into itunes, checked the data for albums that are displayed on the sb correctly, and altered the metadata for the no artist ones through the get info menu option to include the band name under the album artist field as this was empty, where others that are recognised under their artist/band had this info. rescanning has not fixed the problem, the same 3 albums are in this no artist folder. thing i cant understand is why just these 3? checking lms advanced settings i have everything set to the default settings bar the compilations settings that are set to treat tpe2 mp3 tag as album artist and list albums by band.

any tips to get these to display under the artist?
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#7 Re: Logitech media server

Post by The Stratmangler »

I don't integrate an iTunes library with LMS Ant, so I can only make an educated guess.
I use Mp3Tag to check the tags on my files, and this screen shot shows how the tags typically appear

The lower box on the left side is the important one (the Album Artist box) as far as LMS is concerned. The upper box can be almost anything.
This one's by Claire Martin

and this one's by Claire Martin with John Martyn guesting

In LMS things appear like this

Chris :happy3:
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Logitech media server

Post by Dave the bass »

..... rescanning has not fixed the problem, the same 3 albums are in this no artist folder.
Dunno if this'll help Ant, but there's 2 types of Library rescan in the drop-down menu. After you've altered the Metadata tags makes sure you select 'Clear Library and rescan everything' or such like otherwise the 'No artist' cache remains in LMS's memory.

I learned that the hard way :)

PS. Backing up is good. Backing up twice is even better. Backing up further is also gooder. (also learned the hard way after losing digi pics of the kids growing through the years).
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
cressy
Shed dweller

#9 Re: Logitech media server

Post by cressy »

i managed to partially solve the problem, i managed to get the sb to show some missing tracks by pointing it directly at the itunes media file rather than just clicking the use itunes box. changing the tags with a tag editor was a non starter as it would only see the tracks downloaded from itunes and not the cd rips for some reason.
However i did manage to get the sb to access the itunes media file through its menus this time which it wouldnt before, so if i go music library - music folder - itunes - itunes media - music, i can see and play them all and they have their artist and album tags. there are no unknown artist or no album entries.
i can essentially search as i would in the artists menu as it is exactly the same apart from the fact that the music missing from the artist menu is there. im now suitably baffled .............