i2s DAC solutions

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

IDM wrote:Hi Nick,

When I connect the scope to the LRCK it doesn't even trip the timebase so there appears to be just no signal.

Cheers
Ian
Fair enough.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IDM
Old Hand

Post by IDM »

I bit the bullet and purchased a knew pi. I checked the BCK, Data and LRCK. All the signals were present. So I plucked up my courage and soldered the wires and plugged into my TDA1541A and to my absolute delight it works!

I have all the web radio stations and on initial listening sounds pretty good.

I am so pleased, this has been very painful.

Cheers
Ian
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

good news though for us all that is. Your pain helps others.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IDM
Old Hand

Post by IDM »

I should also add that I re-downloaded Volumio 1.1 from the website and when I checked out the /etc/modules/ file the data is now correct and did not need to be edited. I simply downloaded the file unzipped it, flashed it to SD, configured the wireless network from the GUI and swithched on the I2S from the GUI and it worked.

Cheers
Ian
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Resurrecting an old thread, Ian how did you connect (IE what pins) did you use to connect the I2S interface? I would like to give this a try on my Arcam TDA1541A board...

Cheers.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Which RPi version do you have Neal?
IDM
Old Hand

Post by IDM »

Hi,

I did all my configuration using a rapberry pi B+ and the details of the pins are shown in the lik below:

https://volumio.org/forum/hifiberry-and ... t-t29.html

If you scroll down you will see a picture or the P5 header identifying which pin does what. As I am sure you know you need the Data, Bck, LRCK and Gnd. Mck is not required for TDA2541A DAC (which is lucky because as far as I kow the raspberry Pi does not provide MCK!).

If you are using a rapsberry pi2 the output is different as it doesn't have a p5 header. I have just bought a pi2 to play with but havent got as far as using it to drive a DAC so dont know the pins offhand.

Hope that helps.

By the way if you get it to work I think you should be pleased with the sound. People talk about jitter with the pi and whilst I am sure that may be true, all I can say is that the pi blew away my previous CD transport.

Cheers

Ian
IDM
Old Hand

Post by IDM »

Hi,

I did all my configuration using a rapberry pi B+ and the details of the pins are shown in the lik below:

https://volumio.org/forum/hifiberry-and ... t-t29.html

If you scroll down you will see a picture or the P5 header identifying which pin does what. As I am sure you know you need the Data, Bck, LRCK and Gnd. Mck is not required for TDA2541A DAC (which is lucky because as far as I kow the raspberry Pi does not provide MCK!).

If you are using a rapsberry pi2 the output is different as it doesn't have a p5 header. I have just bought a pi2 to play with but havent got as far as using it to drive a DAC so dont know the pins offhand.

Hope that helps.

By the way if you get it to work I think you should be pleased with the sound. People talk about jitter with the pi and whilst I am sure that may be true, all I can say is that the pi blew away my previous CD transport.

Cheers

Ian
IDM
Old Hand

Post by IDM »

Ooh, that got posted twice, I wonder why!!

Cheers
Ian
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Thanks Ian, found your thread on the volumio site. I've got an RPi2, I've found the pins and a diagram on Google, will link to it when back on the laptop and not the tablet....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QzzWKWacbRA/V ... 531;デム.png

Pins 12, 35 and 40
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

That's interesting Ray, the BBB would appear to have a better clock implementation for audio. Lots of good reports on the RPi sound quality though...will have to hook up my TDA1541 and see how it goes...
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

The new Pi 2 is a lot better - its the same price but with 6 x the performance - 4 vs. 1 core and each core is later version and running at 900MHz vs 700MHz of the Pi B & B+ models.

Clocking is improved, as are the on-board PSUs.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Neal wrote:That's interesting Ray, the BBB would appear to have a better clock implementation for audio. Lots of good reports on the RPi sound quality though...will have to hook up my TDA1541 and see how it goes...
Watching with interest. :D

I have a TDA1541 waiting for something like this. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

I've connected up the RPi using the header on the Arcam board where previously I had the I2S o/p from a CS8412 connected which works fine but I'm getting nothing out of the DAC when using the RPi.

I'm pretty sure I've got the correct pin combination:

RPi pin 35 to pin 1 TDA (LRCK) marked WS on the Arcam Board
RPi pin 12 to pin 2 TDA (BCK) marked CK on the Arcam Board
RPi pin 40 to pin 3 TDA (DATA) marked DATA on the Arcam Board

I'm using Volumio v1.55 and have enabled I2S but there are a number of DAC choices, is there a specific setting for the TDA1541A or do I have to edit the config file in Linux?