Possible Raspberry Pi network audio solutions

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

From what I read the JRiver thing needs you to run Volumio on the Pi.
Then JRiver just sees the Pi as a DLNA rendererer.

Are you thinking of loading up the laptop HDD with music files and then pointing playback at the renderererer?
Cos if you're thinking of doing that then it should be no more difficult to keep the Pi set up as a renderizer for LMS and install and run LMS on the laptop.

Is it possible to run LMS on the Pi in addition to the renderizering wot it already does and to access music files from a locally (to the Pi) connected HDD? :shock:
Chris :happy3:
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

The Stratmangler wrote:
Are you thinking of loading up the laptop HDD with music files and then pointing playback at the renderererer?
Cos if you're thinking of doing that then it should be no more difficult to keep the Pi set up as a renderizer for LMS and install and run LMS on the laptop.
Yeah, I've got 150GB or so of FLAC's on the Laptop Chris, JRiver is on the Laptop to natch.

Sure, I could install LMS on the Laptop and point LMS at the JRiver Library. The next cottage didn't have WiFi when we booked it (last year!) so that got me looking into creating a Wireless access point on the Laptop which I failed at but now the Cottage has Wifi that helps solve the connection between Pi and Laptop.

I run a paid-for app called Bubble uPnP on the Android Tablet that I use to remotely control JRiver media centre, I can do the same with LMS I think, I tried it as a sperryment a while ago.
The Stratmangler wrote:Is it possible to run LMS on the Pi in addition to the renderizering wot it already does and to access music files from a locally (to the Pi) connected HDD? :shock:
Thats a solution our-Neal suggested too I think chris, I'm struggling a bit with that 'un, I'm new to Pi.
Eek.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

<dumb kid at the back of the class that doesn't understand what Volumio and JRiver are> can't you just buy a cheapo wi fi modem router for £20 or summat and plug in or connect your laptop/pi/NAS/whatever you want to take with you?
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

The guy on this page managed to get an integrated Squeezelite/LMS installation running http://www.gerrelt.nl/RaspberryPi/wordp ... r-for-bbq/

There's a fair bit of command line stuff needed though :shock:
Chris :happy3:
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

The Stratmangler wrote:The guy on this page managed to get an integrated Squeezelite/LMS installation running http://www.gerrelt.nl/RaspberryPi/wordp ... r-for-bbq/

There's a fair bit of command line stuff needed though :shock:
Doesn't Squeezeplug do that for you? From menus and stuff.

BTW, for some reason Logitech Android controller gizmo stopped working on my phone due to Lollipop upgrade. Happens to a lot of peeps. I now have Squeezer open source controller. Works real well so far.

cheers,

Stephen
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Max2play, already has LMS and squeeze lite integrated....
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
peperoni
User

Post by peperoni »

Neal wrote:Max2play, already has LMS and squeeze lite integrated....
Works well and sounds good, as Nigel and Greg found out today.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Yep, I am a total convert and can't wait to get mine. Best sound ever from Nigel's system. I'm also a convert to Qobuz streaming. £20 a month for a massive library of music. When you consider what you might pay per month for hard copy recordings, to me it's a no brainier especially because the quality is so good, even on AAD conversion (We listened to a Paul Tortelier recording of Bach's 6 Cello suites); absolutely brilliant, almost in the room. I think I am moving on............. :D
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Greg wrote:Yep, I am a total convert and can't wait to get mine.
:shock: <faints and falls over...gets up... Reads it again....faints and falls over again> :shock: :lol: Nice one Greg!

Right, Intrigued, this Max2Play. If I download and burn to a MicroSD I can just pop out the SD card with PiCore player on thats already set up in the Conservatory Pi and pop in the Max2Play SD card, say hello to it via web interface and get it to see the music library on the Laptop yeah?

The laptop streams back to the Pi, Max2Play will output to the piggy backed HiFiBerry amp ok?

DIET. So, as a work-around inspired by our-Simon I found our old Netgear WiFi Router too, Huzah, it'll now be known as 'Holiday Router' if any other places we book don't have Wifi in the fuchsia.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

:-D Blimey, I thought I must be really missing the point as everyone was discussing 'hi tech' options. You say potato I say carefully engineered solution balancing cost, complexity, programme and deliverability. :lol:
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I know we tend to need to fettle but surely, no SURELY, these little gizmos can't sound as good as - well f'r instance my phone plugged into a latest model digital amp (still the size of a packet of cigarettes (remember them?) and whatever our choice of small speakers

otoh

and on t'other, whatever our desired and cherished devices sound like in the living/listening room, where size need not matter at all! ???
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Nice one Greg!

Dave, yes to all of the above. You'll need to set the music library up as a network share then point max2play towards it.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Cheers Neal, I'll give it a go this weekend, expect questions!

MrI, these little Pi's and Class D amps can sound awethumne, no really (I know what you're thinking, stoppit, its rude and unhygienic BTW). They're fun to listen to and play with too, idea for where space is limited but you still want reasonable quality toonage. Better than 2A3 in a hot-cookie SET amp? Nope (IMO) but sooooooooooooooo much more convenient!
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yeah I know but..... I've got one of the latest little jobbies like what Phil bought. It was about 9quid inc p&p from Honkers and it is nearly excellent but imho there is something weird going on at the top end which makes for an uncomfortable listen if, that us the listener is lissnin' over time.
Again tho if the tunes are in yer phone isn't that good enough. Samsung does flac and memory is cheap. BTW I have three Samsungs; Galaxy 2 ( sweet n small) , Galaxy 5 ( not really an improvement but ) snapped up cheap with a good battery life and a galaxy 2 note which is the best phone all round I've ever tried.

Surely it's these bloody phones that made tiny microprocessors like raspberries possible... sort of.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

andrew Ivimey wrote:Again tho if the tunes are in yer phone isn't that good enough. Samsung does flac and memory is cheap. BTW I have three Samsungs; Galaxy 2 ( sweet n small) , Galaxy 5 ( not really an improvement but ) snapped up cheap with a good battery life and a galaxy 2 note which is the best phone all round I've ever tried.
Andrew, to answer your previous question first, no, these little gadgets can't measure up to a proper system (at least not yet) but they are still pretty good and some fun.

Now, onto using your Samsung phone as a music source; if you want to hear what they can achieve with a decent USB DAC install the music player USB Audio Player Pro from the Android store (I think it will be compatible with your S5), get a USB ONG (on the go) cable and plug it all together. USB Audio Player Pro does clever things bypassing lots of Android stuff, does hi-res (upto 32bit and 384KHz) and even has DSD support and most importantly it sounds really good; I now use it as my default player even if I'm just listening through headphones plugged into the phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rpro&hl=en

Go on, you know you want to!

Ray