Possible Raspberry Pi network audio solutions

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Dave the bass wrote:...thinking I need to set the Laptop WiFi adaptor up as an 'Access Point'?
or maybe a mobile wireless router. I've not used one but these sort of devices look like they fit the bill?

Ray
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Thanks Ray, yeah, they might be the answer as I've had no joy after spending hours trying to set up a local Ad Hoc wLAN using the inbuilt WiFi capability on the laptop.

I think I've identified another problem too, eks!

As I understand it the RasPi is a renderer for LMS, if I just take the laptop + Pi(with HifiBerry amp built in) on Hols LMS stays at home cos the VortexBox which hosts LMS! Doh! I'm struggling on how to get the Pi to 'see' JRiver as usually at home I don't use JRiver, just LMS on VB streaming to the 6 or so SB devices around the house + garden, doh again.

Last night I was pondering using the Pi + HiFiBerry amp combo as a DAC + amp via the USB port and trying to get JRiver to reconise that as a hard wired player/renderer. Haven't tried it yet.

Lots of hairy chin scratching :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Why not just install LMS on the laptop?

Ray
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

True, could do but then JRiver would never get used :( Bum!

Going down the Laptop LMS route it would also give me the Remote Control on the Tablet too, hmmmm.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Don't know if this is a help or a hindrance (or not relevant at all) Dave but I bought a TP Link wi fi extender come a few things from our back street computer shop for £25. Whilst our wi fi signal is fine for laptops it's marginal with phones and tablets at one side of the house.

So I bought the extender and plugged it in to our wired LAN, originally to extend the existing access point. But the phones just kept switching between the two resulting in never actually having a solid connection. As a result I set it up as a second access point with a different name and everything works fine. It's only if I want to use the phone at the other side of the house that I have a problem and have to change wi fi. But it's pretty infrequent so something I can live with.

Setup and installation was dead easy, that apart, and worth the money just for the time it saved me messing about.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

You can run LMS on the RPi ;) You need to install Max2Play, it comes with sqeezelite player and LMS. It support the HiFiBerry as well. you'll need to create a share on your laptop for the music and then point Max2Play toward it...
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Whether I install LMS on the Pi or the Laptop still leaves the problem of getting the Pi to see the Laptop through a wLAN so I think Ray's USB portable WiFi router links might be the way to go perhaps.

I'm a-wondering if just getting the Pi to work as a USB DAC would be the simplest route? That way I still use existing JRiver prog and connect Laptop to Pi via a USB cable, no pootling about with Wifi that way, but just realized whilst typing I loose Tablet remote control too, doh.

Many things there are to think :)
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Dave the bass wrote:Whether I install LMS on the Pi or the Laptop still leaves the problem of getting the Pi to see the Laptop through a wLAN so I think Ray's USB portable WiFi router links might be the way to go perhaps.

I'm a-wondering if just getting the Pi to work as a USB DAC would be the simplest route? That way I still use existing JRiver prog and connect Laptop to Pi via a USB cable, no pootling about with Wifi that way, but just realized whilst typing I loose Tablet remote control too, doh.

Many things there are to think :)
Can't you just use an Ethernet cable and assign the IP manually? Or have you tried that? If not then a cheap switch between the two and set the IP manually.

What would be really neat, and I may try it, is to install one of the many RPi touch screens and install x windows and a desktop...you would only then need a USB drive to hold your music and control it from a web browser running from say KDE....
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Neal wrote:Can't you just use an Ethernet cable and assign the IP manually? Or have you tried that? If not then a cheap switch between the two and set the IP manually.

What would be really neat, and I may try it, is to install one of the many RPi touch screens and install x windows and a desktop...you would only then need a USB drive to hold your music and control it from a web browser running from say KDE....
I thought wireless was needed for the tablet control point?

Ray
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

You can control it from the laptop via a browser....

Re KDE maybe too heavy apparently but there are other desktop environments it seems, hmmmmmm
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Neal wrote:You can control it from the laptop via a browser....
Yes, and in that case a simple cable would be fine, but I thought Mr. Bass was looking for the full couch potato experience...

Ray
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Ray P wrote:
Neal wrote:You can control it from the laptop via a browser....
Yes, and in that case a simple cable would be fine, but I thought Mr. Bass was looking for the full couch potato experience...

Ray
Well yes that goes without saying! LOL! :D
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Lazy-arse-mode would be an advantage I confess. Still ummin an' arhhhing on this latest Holiday-system variant.
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Dave the bass wrote:Lazy-arse-mode would be an advantage I confess. Still ummin an' arhhhing on this latest Holiday-system variant.
After a week of deliberation the verdict of the Kentish jury is?
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Sorry for delay, the defendant got distracted by having to perform the installation of a 4Tb HD surgery on his VortexBox and the subsequent upgrade to VB 2.3 after checksumming and ISO burning and the subsequent reloading of the library. Once VB2.3 was installed natch LMS had upgraded to the latest version so all the players (5 of 'em) wanted updating too, the Touch's needed EDO reinstalling too, busy bunny! All done and working again, I dun a lorra lorra learning.

Back to Holiday system, a possible helpful spanner has been thrown into the works. The next holiday location has got 'modern and with-it' and now has WiFi, wahey, so I can now link devices up usig=ng the owners wifi connection. So, I reckon back to Pi + HifBerry powering 2 x FE127 Fonkens but the Jury still is waivering on LMS Vs JRiver to the Pi.

The cottage is small unlike some of the others so Remote Android Lard-arse control isn't deffo needed (but would be hand for future larger size Holiday Cottages we've got planned).