Possible Raspberry Pi network audio solutions

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Just an update on my HiFi Berry build...

Although the software build of Raspbian and gmrenderer worked fine with CD rips I wasn't able to play any hi-res flac files through the HiFi Berry DAC.

I've now switched to using Volumio 1.4 which now includes UPnP/DLNA functionality so I can still control things from my Android devices but I can now also play hi-res files, on top of which, Volumio is more optimised for music than the standard Raspbian distribution.

Also, using UPnP, there is no indexing required within Volumio unless you choose to and if you do you can then use the Volumio device as your library server.

Give it a try!

Ray
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Quick HiFiberry -related question.

Our-SimonC popped down this weekend for bike and hifi fun. He bought a Rasperry Pi B+ with a HiFiberry DAC + Digital amp strapped to to it. It's impressive and just what I need for the Conservatory sound system.

Apart from the fact its teenyweenytiny and streamed superbly from the Vortexbox it was controllable via laptop/Tablet/Smartphone and most brill of all, The cute Squeezebox Controller with the Screen on. This is handy as otherwise it has no 'visual' interface like say a Touch, it's also fairly cheap compared to a 2nd Hand SBT.

Did I say it was teenyweeny? Thats a Pi + DAC + 25W Class D amp in my hand!

That ^^^ amp and these likkle speakies sounded totally ace in a highly 'bouncy' and lively Conservatory. Awethumness +1 Billion. Tempted, very very tempted.

The table could just about take the weight of the Pi amp+DAC module. Actually, thats a fib! :-)

Now then, am I right in thinking the Vortexbox is downsampling the data stream to the Pi/HiFiBerryDAC+Amp as the website states is can only handle 44.1 and 48KHz sample rates.... but it played 24/192 files perfectly! Erm....
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

I might have missed sumfink but I don't see where you say wot playback software you is running on the Pi?

cheers,

Stephen (dummy at the back of the class)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Erm, ya got me there Bruv! I dunno fo' sho' either Stephen! I think it might 'PicoPlayer'? MrC will know deffo as it was he who stuck it all together and got it to see my WiFi and the VB etc etc etc.
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

izzy wizzy wrote:I might have missed sumfink but I don't see where you say wot playback software you is running on the Pi?

cheers,

Stephen (dummy at the back of the class)
Hi Stephen,

Its running the latest version of picoreplayer (its the only one that talks to the digi-amp so its easy to figure out).

Its literally an out of the box Pi B+ with the HiFiBerry digi-amp plugged in and picoreplayer to get it all to talk to the server. I got it to put together a simple music system for the kids so they could listen in their rooms, but after hearing it properly this weekend down at Dave's they might not be getting it back for a while. :-)

Simon C
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

I use picoreplayer too and am very happy. Got 4 of them :).

Pretty sure it plays hi rez files out of the box so not too surprised that it did.

cheers,

Stephen
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Ah! It's the Amp that limits the sample rate I believe looking at the spec. https://www.hifiberry.com/ampplus
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

So, less than one week later... Ta Dah <jazz hands>

...and it works. Today I followed the picoreplayer instructions and burnt an image to an microSD card. Inserted and booted up, connected via ethernet cable found IP address and switch on-board output to I2S to feed the HiFiBerry amp module sitting on the back of the Pi. Gadzooks sah... it works!

Only bug bear is I can't get it to connect via Wifi dongle.
Bum, to listen to it insitu in the Conservatoire I have to connect it via WiFi extender and link up via an ethernet cable from the extender, works for now but not ideal. Going into the Picoreplayer via a browser I can set SSID and Password but I get the report back ...
"No Wifi Devices found!".

Meh, are Pi's fussy about their Wifi Dongles?
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

They are fussy on the dongle situation but much less so these days. They can take an age to connect. Find one that others confirm working with the pi. Will have a dig later when I get a mo.

Cheers,

Stephen
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Thanks Izzy, Erks! I may have got a duffer. And it was all going so well! Its working super fine via the WiFi extender BTW and sounds ace at here :-)
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Nice Dave, I'm quite tempted too. Think it would make a good solution in the kitchen but I don't think it's easy enough for the boss to use :-(.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Ta Simon, yeah that was one of my stipulations too for a system out here, turns out that seeing as JTS knows the SB Radio interface well (she's got one in her arty room) that she can navigate her way around the SB Controller well enough too as they're similar. I've got one out in the Conservatory for her to control the Pi. I use the web interface a lot but JTS is happier with summat you can just pick up + scroll through to get mighty righteous sounds.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

This list might help
https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/wifi-dongles

I got me one of these
http://thepihut.com/collections/raspber ... spberry-pi

Here's another
http://cpc.farnell.com/the-pi-hut/10000 ... MP=CPC-PLA

And some other one but I can't remember from where. I'll dig some more.

cheers,

Stephen
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Ta Izzy, the one I'm trying to make work is a no-brand -> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-USB-150M ... 1359413530

It works on my PC. So it's not a fault on the Dongle. Just an incompatibility betwixt it and the Pi, meh!
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

If you look in the list linked in above post of wifi dongles that work/don't work for picoreplayer (possibly the Pi running anything), the chipset, Ralink MT7601U, in your one doesn't work.

cheers,

Stephen