Possible Raspberry Pi network audio solutions

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

the problem, which you are kindly addressing very well, is that many of us have been focusing on our turntable arm cartridge phono stage and a whole world has developed inspight of us. As we have no foot in that camp, abreviations have formed in that world (since 2003 it seems) which have gradually become common use of those people in that world, but not those people in my world. So now they are talked of as if everyone understands them, but to the exclusion of the ignorant minority.

Now some of us when confronted by an individual who doesn't know how to work with a triode or what a choke is, in places like this gets help with that.

Unfortunately places for completely ignorant idiots to learn about the modern networking world are becoming such that the first step is set too high and grows to dwarf us as we look on in amaisement at what others are doing without daring to ask how to join the club.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

Ray P wrote:I'm going to see what there is by way of alternative controllers before I move on to reconfiguring the RPi as a UPnP/DLNA renderer.Ray
All that command line coding took me back in time. I was a programmer back in the day too. Still do the odd bit in VBA but I didn't even try this time to understand what I was doing with the Pi in the early adopter times when the Pi first came out. Thisngs are moving fast.

Fingers crossed you get the UPnP bit going Ray. :)

cheers,

Stephen
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

I know what you mean Paul. This was a steep learning curve for me knowing zip about computer audio when I got my first Pi. Don't really know that much more now :)

I found this very helpful http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/index.html

cheers,

Stephen
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Thank you, I will have a read next time I have leisure time.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

Paul Barker wrote:Thank you, I will have a read next time I have leisure time.
Us plumbers don't get much of that ;)

Off to London to look at 4 jobs today. Oh well ....

cheers,

Stephen
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Yay, a brother in arms.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:
Ray P wrote: before I move on to reconfiguring the RPi as a UPnP/DLNA renderer.

Ray
this is where you lost me.
Don't worry about it Paul, it is a different project to Volumio that I want to try as it is closer to my specific set up.

Ray
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:Ah, just a flash at Wiki is it something like this?

A standard invented in 2003 for connecting devices on a network like priniting over wifi and playing music too? Have I got it?

So that means I could have a puter somewhere on my wifi and a Rasberry elsewhere on same wifi and the raspberry reads the disk on the computer to play miusic as if it were plugged into the raspberry usb?

So the step up is you are moving up from usb to wireless?
Yes, that's about the size of it, though I'm using a wired network rather than wifi. It means you can share a music library to rendering devices (like the RPi/Volumio package) wherever you want to listen.

Ray
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

izzy wizzy wrote:There's a certain similarity to the Rune interface and the RaspyFi one.

Gotta love open source software :)

Look forward to watching your travels on this one Ray.

cheers,

Stephen
Not surprising though Izzy, RuneAudio and Volumio are both forks from RaspyFi. Reading on various places it looks as though there was a 'parting of the ways' with the developers.

Ray
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Currently listening to music from the RPi/Volumio package that I have chosen using an app on my Samsung Android tablet.

I've installed two apps and I'm currently using MPDroid. Much more usable interface than the Volumio web one, it offers Albums and Artists categories. I haven't figured out Album Art (like displaying the LP sleeve Paul) yet but it does offer it. Seems to work fairly well though it does tell me that the connection has been dropped when it moves to the next 'track' though it continues to play anyway....

I need to get down the garage to service my bicycle now so will continue exploring a bit later.

Ray
IDM
Old Hand

Post by IDM »

I just got my pi working with volumio using the LAN cable. However, I need wireless and when I put a USB Edimax EW-7811Un wireless dongle into the pi and entered the ssid and network key it will not connect to my network. Don't suppose anyone has got any ideas.

Wireless does not seem well described on the volumio web site

Cheers
Ian
IDM
Old Hand

Post by IDM »

I sorted out my problem. It appears that despite offering the capacity to be configured with WEP encryption, it does't work.

I updated our wireless server to WPA (been meaning to do that for ages due to the better security) and then went back through the wireless set-up within the Volumio gui and it worked first time.

Cheers
Ian
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I'd be stuck with that then, no idea whether my Orange broadband router is whichever one it was you called it or whatever the other one was, or how to change it if it is at all possible.

I may have to make sure I have a long LAN leed, presumably that can run 30ft ok can it?
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

Paul Barker wrote:I may have to make sure I have a long LAN leed, presumably that can run 30ft ok can it?
Easily. As long as you want within reason.

cheers,

Stephen
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:I may have to make sure I have a long LAN leed, presumably that can run 30ft ok can it?
Paul, there is a finite length to an Ethernet cable before you need to consider repeaters; used to know the length but it's up around 100m.

Alternatively, if you want a cabled network but don't want to rewire your house with network cable have you considered powerline adaptors like these;

http://www.ebuyer.com/517100-tp-link-av ... l-pa451kit

I use four similar devices in my home network and they've been trouble free and deliver a lot more bandwidth than my wireless router. They use the mains wiring for the network; you plug the device into a wall socket and then connect your computer to the socket with a short Ethernet cable and with some of the adaptors you can still use the socket for powering the computer too. They're quite safe.

Ray