Possible Raspberry Pi network audio solutions

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Ray P wrote: have you considered powerline adaptors like these;

http://www.ebuyer.com/517100-tp-link-av ... l-pa451kit

I use four similar devices in my home network and they've been trouble free and deliver a lot more bandwidth than my wireless router. They use the mains wiring for the network; you plug the device into a wall socket and then connect your computer to the socket with a short Ethernet cable and with some of the adaptors you can still use the socket for powering the computer too. They're quite safe.

Ray
COOLIO :D
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
ed
retired

Post by ed »

couple of points which might be useful....

been using homeplug type things since 2006 with my NAS/squeezebox. Bought the then available 100mb units. No networking probs at all great....

except

couple of units have failed unexplainably....(solwise)

went to replace them and find 100mb units are now unobtainable, so bought 200mb units.....they are not compatible......

can still get old units on ebay...but.....

anyway, I recommend getting highest spec possible if you want to replace individual units in the future.

I can't comment on the compatibility between 200 and 500 mb units.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Mine are all 500mb units; seemed little point in saving a few pounds for the lower bandwidth items; I typically get around 350mbs.

Ray
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Thanks both.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IDM
Old Hand

Post by IDM »

I just tried hooking up my TDA1541a DAC using the I2S from P5 with:

Bck pin 3
LRCk pin 4
Data pin 6
Gnd pin 8

I then switched the I2S driver on from within the gui and nothing worked, despite several reboots :-(

Whenever I try to start playing a music file the pi defaults to pause, so its not just that there is no audio, it doesnt even seem to start.

Software is Volumio

I dont suppose anybody has got any ideas?

Cheers
Ian
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

IDM wrote:I just tried hooking up my TDA1541a DAC using the I2S from P5 with:

Bck pin 3
LRCk pin 4
Data pin 6
Gnd pin 8

I then switched the I2S driver on from within the gui and nothing worked, despite several reboots :-(

Whenever I try to start playing a music file the pi defaults to pause, so its not just that there is no audio, it doesnt even seem to start.

Software is Volumio

I dont suppose anybody has got any ideas?

Cheers
Ian
Not at the moment; just started to explore the I2S possibilities of the RPi. I always thought that I2S was a standard so enabling it on the RPi meant it would then be available to use but it seems rather more complex than that with lots of references to kernel config. Yikes!

Have you tried the RPi or Volumio forums? If you find out please report back.

Ray
IDM
Old Hand

Post by IDM »

Yes, I posted on the Volumio forum (no response yet).

However, whilst casting around to try and get a better understanding of I2S and the Pi I found a comment made by Mikelangeloz (I think he is the guy behind Volumio) on DiyAudio saying that Volumio B1.1 had inadvertently broken the I2S configuration and that anyone needing I2S should keep using version B1.0.

I am now downloading the older version and will try and flash it onto the SD card either tonight or tomorrow. I will keep you posted if I make any progress.

Cheers
Ian
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Yes Ian, now you mention it I recall something along those lines. Good luck.

Ray
IDM
Old Hand

Post by IDM »

Tried downloading the the B1.0 version 4 or 5 times, every time I try and unzip the file its corrupted!

Will try again tomorrow.
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

For anyone interested, the HiFiBerry Digi (spdif out daughter board for the RPi) is now available to pre-order with shipping in mid-Feb.

http://www.hifiberry.com/hbdigi

Ray
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

IDM wrote:Tried downloading the the B1.0 version 4 or 5 times, every time I try and unzip the file its corrupted!

Will try again tomorrow.
Corrupted before it was zipped then?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IDM
Old Hand

Post by IDM »

I suppose so. I must have tried about 10 times now and it always fails to unzip. I tried to repair the and that failed as well.

I seem to be stuck unless someone has a copy of version B1.0 that they could provide.

Cheers
Ian
IDM
Old Hand

Post by IDM »

Found another unzip program and successfully got hold of the image file and flashed it onto the SD card.

The B1.0 version of Volumio works ok and was easy to configure for the wireless adaptor. However, I still cannot get my TDA1541A DAC to work with it.

The DAC works fine with my CDPRO2M transport but as soon as I connect the Pi there is nothing.

Within the Volumio software there are a number of options and I selected the output to be 16 bit 44.1Khz as I thought this would most likely be correct.

I don't suppose anyone has any suggestions on things to try, I am at the point of giving up with the idea. Maybe if I wait a few months someone with more skill than me will publish an idiots guide!

Cheers
Ian
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

It seems a bunch of DAC options will be available
http://volumio.org/raspberry-pi-i2s-dac-sounds-so-good/

cheers,

Stephen
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Sadly I don't have the P5 header.

It is looking like the sensible price point it a new RPi with the cheapest i2s solution of the Hifi Berry Burr-Brown DAC.

That would probably be something the ear can adapt to and enjoy.

But it is good to see that the ultimate with a separate clock is feasible if you can afford it.

My present Pi could be sold or kept for one of the other projects I have in mind.

But for now I'll sit back use my analogue out and await everyone's experiences. No doubt loads of bugs and subsequent fixes shall follow these prophetic promises.