makeshift media server

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
cressy
Shed dweller

#1 makeshift media server

Post by cressy »

Hi guys, im thinking of building a media server specifically for the squeezebox. Im having rebuffering issues with the squeezebox when there is a lot of wifi traffic.
My kids will be upstairs watching netflix on the ps3, I'll be using my tablet or phone and the missus will be on the laptop on the web. Its not practical to have a wired connection for the laptop or the ps3 or to the squeezebox, so I was thinking along the lines of having a media server directly for the squeezebox.
My itunes library is on a nas that has a usb port and I have an old netbook which was running windows 7. It wont boot any more for some reason and wont reinstall 7 from the partition so I was thinking about getting ubuntu or something onto a memory stick and trying to install that on it.
To be honest I dont know if there is a hardware fault on the netbook such a a buggered hard drive so im not sure if its physically viable, but is it technically viable?
Cheers ant
ed
retired

Post by ed »

homeplug?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

A second WiFi for the music system only? I use one for my office squeezebox and the kitchen squeezeradio. You can set it up on a second router, give it a unique name, access key and channel...disable DCHP on it and link it to your existing router with an ethernet cable so you have internet access for it, DHCP is provided by the first router. Point you music server and all squeeze devices to the new access point and away you go...

Edit....oh the second 'music' router must have its own unique IP address...