Anyone Know?

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#1 Anyone Know?

Post by Ali Tait »

The wee one is having a guitar lesson, so it struck me it would be nice to stream music from the Drobo to my Ipad so I can listen on headphones so as not to disturb them.

Cannot figure out how to do this without using an app that has to download every song before I listen.

I do not use iTunes it's the work of the devil, is there an easy way to do this?
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

There are times I bloody hate apple!!

This is so simple from a pc, why does it appear so bloody difficult to do it with an iPad!?
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

AirPlay is the streaming protocol Apple uses and licenses to third parties for sending music from one device to another. It needs iTunes on the sending computer to be the music library and to be active in order to function I'm afraid Ali.

I know that is no help at all but there's nothing I can suggest, unless iPeng, which is the recommended iPad controller for the squeezebox library has the streaming functionality you need.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Cheers Steve. As I thought, you have to spend money and do things their way.

Not really wanting to get into an apple rant, but that's crap frankly, for something that is so easy to do with a non apple device. :evil:
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Aye...I'm afraid you have to buy into their way of doing things. It has been that way since 1984. For example, I always get driven back to iTunes from stuff like Pure Music, Fidelia, Amarra, all supposed to give better sound quality from your digital files than iTunes can.

Trouble is these third party bits of software, that can cost a lot of money, simply are more trouble than they are worth. Gapless playback for instance on albums such as Dark Side of the Moon is a bloody nightmare.

The way iTunes tags your music files is unlike anything else on the planet and don't get me started on artwork. I think the way Squeezebox Server has to interface with iTunes is a real hack job and you are far better off using Logitech's interface than iTunes.

These days I just do things the way they want and be done with it. I can't be doing with the hassle if you venture outside the Apple ecosystem.
I have so many iTunes downloads that, in terms of music, I'm well and truly trapped inside the walled garden. It doesn't bother me, that much, but it does piss off a lot of people that's for sure.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#6 Re: Anyone Know?

Post by Paul Barker »

Ali Tait wrote:The wee one is having a guitar lesson, so it struck me it would be nice to stream music from the Drobo to my Ipad so I can listen on headphones so as not to disturb them.

Cannot figure out how to do this without using an app that has to download every song before I listen.

I do not use iTunes it's the work of the devil, is there an easy way to do this?
Apple is so last season :D
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

:D yeah man, Android is where it's at!
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

SteveTheShadow wrote:Aye...I'm afraid you have to buy into their way of doing things. It has been that way since 1984. For example, I always get driven back to iTunes from stuff like Pure Music, Fidelia, Amarra, all supposed to give better sound quality from your digital files than iTunes can.

Trouble is these third party bits of software, that can cost a lot of money, simply are more trouble than they are worth. Gapless playback for instance on albums such as Dark Side of the Moon is a bloody nightmare.

The way iTunes tags your music files is unlike anything else on the planet and don't get me started on artwork. I think the way Squeezebox Server has to interface with iTunes is a real hack job and you are far better off using Logitech's interface than iTunes.

These days I just do things the way they want and be done with it. I can't be doing with the hassle if you venture outside the Apple ecosystem.
I have so many iTunes downloads that, in terms of music, I'm well and truly trapped inside the walled garden. It doesn't bother me, that much, but it does piss off a lot of people that's for sure.
Aye, it's a pain. Don't get me wrong, the pad is a great bit of kit for surfing the net etc. and it works seamlessly, I just wish they would chill out a little and allow better interfacing with, lets face it, what the vast majority of people use as a system.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: Anyone Know?

Post by Dave the bass »

Ali Tait wrote:The wee one is having a guitar lesson,
Phew! Guitar.

Not Bagpipes! :lol:

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

iPeng will do the job. Basic iPeng functions as a remote for your Squeezebox, but add iPeng player and you iPhone/iPad becomes a Squeezebox itself. It's a bit pricey for an app (£6.99 iirc) but it works brilliantly.

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2011/02/08/ ... -to-ipeng/
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

another way is to open safari on your iPad and use this url: localhost:9000/stream.mp3

Local host is the ip or network name of your Logitech Media Server

Then open a second window and go to your LMS: localhost:9000 and you'll find a new 'player' available, select it and add your tunes to play...there's a delay as the (well on mine there is) file is processed to start and stop it but it seems to work well...
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Neal wrote:another way is to open safari on your iPad and use this url: localhost:9000/stream.mp3

Local host is the ip or network name of your Logitech Media Server

Then open a second window and go to your LMS: localhost:9000 and you'll find a new 'player' available, select it and add your tunes to play...there's a delay as the (well on mine there is) file is processed to start and stop it but it seems to work well...
That's a good trick to keep in mind Neal. :)

Thanks for the tip.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#13 Re: Anyone Know?

Post by Ali Tait »

Dave the bass wrote:
Phew! Guitar.

DTB
That's on Sundays!
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Thanks for the advice chaps, don't use LMS anymore though.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#15 Re: Anyone Know?

Post by Ali Tait »

Dave the bass wrote:
Phew! Guitar.

DTB
That's on Sundays!