Router recommendations

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
shane
Social outcast

#1 Router recommendations

Post by shane »

I'm beginning to suspect that I may need to replace my Netgear DG834GT wifi router soon. Signal seems to be more and more erratic.

Anyone have any particular recommendations for a replacement? Smallish house. TV, NAS and Squeezebox connected by ethernet cables. Three to five laptops (depending on whose girlfriend/boyfriend is home), assorted smartphones and wireless printer looking for something to connect to.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

I've read good reports about the TPlink ones, not tried their routers but have used their GigE switches and NIC's to good effect...
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

When I saw the topic title I thought you'd taken up woodwork. :wink:

I still use my Netgear DG834G v4, which has lasted quite well. My old one was same model but v3, both supplied FOC by Virgin.

I see yours is a GT, has it got go-faster stripes ? :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

No, but it's got furry dice hanging from its rear view mirror.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

:lol:

There was a furry dice joke in the last episode of Red Dwarf I watched, after Starbug 1 crashes Holly reads out a long damage report and ends with "and the elastic's gone on the furry dice so now the cockpit looks a right mess."

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

We use one of these Shane -> http://www.scan.co.uk/products/netgear- ... e-usb-port

Seems very good, had it for about 8 months now. No trouble connecting to it and very reliable. The 'ready share' bit enables you to plug a HD or a flash drive into the USB port on the router and use it as NAS. We have a 2TB external powered HD connected permanently to it which is handy.

Don't know if the spec is any good or not but it works.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Neal wrote:I've read good reports about the TPlink ones, not tried their routers but have used their GigE switches and NIC's to good effect...
Yep, I use several of the TPLink net things, cheap and flimsy but work just fine.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Came home last night to find my son had gone out and bought one of these:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/ ... N2200.aspx#

Probably not what I would have chosen, but it seems to work well. plugged in the telly, squeezebox and home-made NAS lashup and it found everything with no problem at all, then proceded to set up file sharing between all our assorted laptops and PCs without even being asked, something I'd given up trying to do on the old one! Everything seems much quicker now. Well pleased.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I'm scared of it. "Supports Windows 8". I'd run a mile.

We just hand usb sticks around when we want to share in our house!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Well so far today it's dealt happily with Windows XP, Vista and 7, MacOS 10.6 and 10.8, Ubuntu, three iPhones, one android phone, an SB3, a Sony Bravia smart(ish) TV and an HP wireless printer. No Windows 8 yet though....
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Just looked at the bottom of the old DG834GT. It's been running hot enough to discolour the case quite noticeaby. No wonder it kept dropping out!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

That's the trouble I have with my one. Ergo it's on the floor (where the air is usually colder) and standing on end (for best air flow inside the case); the second newer back-up one which I changed to failed! Kept 'dropping out' like what you're getting. Like a power supply failure (kept restarting as though switched off and on). So back onto the 'old' one. Also got yet another new stand-by which I've yet to try out.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."