HELP

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Colin

I've got quite a bit of experience of playing with higher res digital tracks and I have to say that I don't recognise any of the criticisms you've mentioned. I agree with the other posts, you would seem to have a problem with your system, which I'm pretty sure is nothing to do with foobar or digital music in general.

I do know there are general limitations with usb regarding the the higher rates, which also apply to spdif as well at the moment. This is all to do with drivers being available for the high rates.

If you are happy with vinyl and cd at the meoment I think my advice would be to stick with it until the higher rate digital stuff is more generally available and there is more consumer help available.

In the real world(IT) you would be told to go to your DAC supplier for help, because the rest of the audio chain is proven.

just a couple of thoughts.

edit:| On reflection I don't think I've expressed myself particularly well....another angle: there is a lot of converstaion on a lot of IT/audio related forums in regard to this, and a lot of it is guesswork(forum fodder) so at this stage you may just get more frustrated.
Last edited by ed on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Yep if you are paying for it but it's the free stuff that thay can't sell and again I said the recording quality was bad not the sound quality of the linn files but it does state this on their site somewhere I think

To be fare I have only tried the files on the headphone for close listening also my setup is fine Standard ripped CD sounds fine but still prefer to play from the CD player
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

colin.hepburn wrote:Yep if you are paying for it but it's the free stuff that thay can't sell and again I said the recording quality was bad not the sound quality of the linn files but it does state this on their site somewhere I think

To be fare I have only tried the files on the headphone for close listening also my setup is fine Standard ripped CD sounds fine but still prefer to play from the CD player
The free stuff that they can't sell - that's a good one :lol:

I've downloaded today's track at Studio Master quality, and the recording is not poor.
It sounds great over the crappy speakers on my laptop, so it's going to sound pretty amazing when I transfer the file to my server and play it on the stereo.
Chris :happy3:
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

ed wrote:Colin

I've got quite a bit of experience of playing with higher res digital tracks and I have to say that I don't recognise any of the criticisms you've mentioned. I agree with the other posts, you would seem to have a problem with your system, which I'm pretty sure is nothing to do with foobar or digital music in general.

I do know there are general limitations with usb regarding the the higher rates, which also apply to spdif as well at the moment. This is all to do with drivers being available for the high rates.

If you are happy with vinyl and cd at the meoment I think my advice would be to stick with it until the higher rate digital stuff is more generally available and there is more consumer help available.

In the real world(IT) you would be told to go to your DAC supplier for help, because the rest of the audio chain is proven.

just a couple of thoughts.

edit:| On reflection I don't think I've expressed myself particularly well....another angle: there is a lot of converstaion on a lot of IT/audio related forums in regard to this, and a lot of it is guesswork(forum fodder) so at this stage you may just get more frustrated.
Yep i agree when I got this DAC is wasn't for the USB input this I thought was just a chance to allow me to try the high Res files the downloads I found were not the best I am not righting it off completely but I think it needs time to develop but we said that about CD as well :shock: :)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I downloaded todays free file, Symphonie Fantastique - IV. Marche au supplice (Scottish Chamber Orchestra), and it plays well on my old Pentium 4 computer, onboard sound card, QED sand amp and homebuilt speakers.

Certainly not a bad recording. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Yep I haven listened to it yet but I didn't say all linn tracks are bad but I still thing you are mixing up what I said when I referred to bad recording what I meant was the studio mix down not the sound quality of the file
if an instrument is not recorded correctly in the mix with the other instruments in the band I cant enjoy the sound but it all helps if you like the track in the first place which I didn't :)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Sorry Colin, must admit I'm not at all sure what you are saying in this thread. :?

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I may be missing something, but unless you are using something other than USB Audio (ie a bespoke block format) then unless you have USB 2 audio drivers then you wont get high res from USB on windows. also in my experience of playing with usb devices unless the device end is conformant and bug free its very easy to bring a copy of windows down via its USB Audio drivers, not due to a fault in windows (other than not very robust drivers) and nothing to do with the application, its just the passenger on top of the driver inside the inner rings of the OS
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

USB2 issue did occur to me also, last time I looked on webernet, the consensus was Microsoft "still won't" produce anything to work with USB2, not sure how old this info is, or if anyone knows differently as of now.

This likely explains why the Media Player comparison works perfectly OK, since it would be using the native driver, and which is not USB2.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

I had the blue screen of death on two occasions only after I installed the WASAPI drivers that Chris advice me to install from the foobar website

but the problem was say if you hit the pause button or stopped or changed the track the sound stopped and the OS lost the Dac so you had to switch the dac off and on to get the sound back for each track played
Uninstalling the WASAPI fixed this and reinstalling the drive for the usb TE7022 chip so the dac shows up in windows and foobar as a Teralink X2 Device and is stable again

As a reference I played an off the shelf CD I know well in the CD drive and a saved file of the ripped copy of same CD and both sounded fine but it's the Linn Master 24 Bit t 96 high res download files that just don't sound right yes there is a difference in sound in that it sounds bigger

But there is something else going on as they sound flat and compressed where as the other 24bit 96 kHz jazz files sound much better but still have a greyish tone to the tracks
Running both the Linn files in VLC media the left channel is just bad Hiss on both tracks and the others jazz tracks play but there is a ticking sound all though the tracks
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Colin, when you play those hi res files how are you connecting the PC to the DAC ?

Edmund Burke

colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

pre65 wrote:Colin, when you play those hi res files how are you connecting the PC to the DAC ?
with USB2 cable
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

colin.hepburn wrote:
pre65 wrote:Colin, when you play those hi res files how are you connecting the PC to the DAC ?
with USB2 cable
Well, that's your problem. :)

Edmund Burke

colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

pre65 wrote:
colin.hepburn wrote:
with USB2 cable
Well, that's your problem. :)
How as that's the way it's meant to be connected that's the idea of a USB Dac I can try it ver. the optical out on the computers sound card I suppose
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

colin.hepburn wrote:Now both of these work but if Pause or stop the track and press start again or select a other track I have to re boot the DAC each time for it to play the track and I get a pop up Unrecoverable playback error: Unknown error (80070015)

The Teralink-X2Usb is the other usb driver I downloaded from the website I found with info about the DAC the driver is said to be better than the windows 7 usb drivers

Just Googled for error code 80070015

Can mean = Win32 error "device is not ready"

Apparently can be caused by a number of things, device not connected, path not found, external or internal hard drive problem, other peripheral problem e.g. bluetooth, mouse, LAN, two devices on the same port (?), also 'bad' drivers (presumably trying to access non-existing hardware).

It can screw up Windows if the changes become permanent in the O/S settings, requiring the offending driver(s) to be uninstalled or even a system restore to a previous date to get out of it.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."