Squeesebox

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Squeesebox

Post by Paul Barker »

Never had one.

Is the fact they are getting sold an indication same sound quality and convenience can be achieved some other way nowadays?

Not stating this to argue, but to fact find.

I have no authority in such matters. But wish to learn. Most of my posts here are about things I feel I do have authority to state what I consider good value judgements. But not in this post.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

That quite a few members here have and use them might give you an idea Paul ;)
Pity that it currently looks to be EOL :(
Chris :happy3:
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Only sold mine as I now have one of the NVA servers. It betters the Touch, but at considerably more cost. Hard to beat the Touch at the price IMHO.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Only sold mine as I now have one of the NVA servers. It betters the Touch, but at considerably more cost. Hard to beat the Touch at the price IMHO.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

When you factor in the need for a NAS or server the cost gap closes somewhat...then theres fancy power supplies for it external DACs with fancy power supplies ;) :D I wouldn't think theres much in it! :?:
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

@ Paul it's basically digital audio file storage all on a hard drive instead of X number of separate discs, ergo the convenience.

As to quality, as ever it hinges on the ADC output end.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Neal wrote:When you factor in the need for a NAS or server the cost gap closes somewhat...then theres fancy power supplies for it external DACs with fancy power supplies ;) :D I wouldn't think theres much in it! :?:
Well the retail on the TFS is £1800. Granted I got mine for less as it's ex dem ( power supply is new though)

Total spent on Touch including dac Nick built for me and NAS about £900 or so.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Ouch! :shock:
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Any other SB Touch's for sale yet? :) £100 quid-ish?

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Neal wrote:Ouch! :shock:
Aye. It is bloody good though.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

thank you for the answers.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

Dave the bass wrote:Any other SB Touch's for sale yet? :) £100 quid-ish?

DTB
Oi.... Get to the back of the queue !! Me an David are in front of you !!! :lol:
©2020 Lee
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Paul, its just as much about convenience as it is for sound quality.

The rules applied to getting a good sound from a CD player also apply to some degree to computer audio IMHO. To get better sound in either approach will take time and money. CD perhaps get you up and running the fastest while going the computer route takes more setup time and knowledge...but the rewards, for me certainly, are the equivalent or better sound quality plus convenience and access to Radio and music streaming service off the internet like Spotify

I went the computer route with squeezebox about 5 years ago as it matched and bettered in some areas my Naim CD5+Flatcap setup. I went for the SB over a directly attached PC because back then direct streaming from a PC hadn't really been thought out.

Today this is not the case and I've heard some very good setups using silent PCs into an external DAC so now theres a very valid choice IMHO between a streaming device and a quality PC setup...or even an Apple TV setup which I'm very curious about.

Anyhow just some thoughts...
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

My own thoughts are that there are more convenient systems to use:

I hook my laptop up to my stereo (via a cheap but functional USB DAC), and control iTunes from my iPad, over WiFi.

I get a large, convenient touch-screen remote control (the music is shown on the iPad screen), and there's no messing with NAS.

For someone like me that wants to keep the source end simple, this is perfect.

Chris
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Neal wrote:
Today this is not the case and I've heard some very good setups using silent PCs into an external DAC so now theres a very valid choice IMHO between a streaming device and a quality PC setup...or even an Apple TV setup which I'm very curious about.

Anyhow just some thoughts...
Yes, find the Mac Mini is an excellent music server (other music server solutions are available) in conjunction with the remote iPad app mentioned by Chris, it is a great way to play your music files.

The mac mini is a more flexible solution than the Apple TV as it is a PC, which means you are not tied to iTunes for your library and organization.
If you don't mind the iTunes tie-up the the Apple TV is by far the simplest
way to play your music files and sounds good.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.