Squeesebox

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

For me the real benefit is my Squeezeboxes sound better than my CD players, including my Naim CDX (which was streets better than any CD player I'd had before). I put it down to the lack of transport but it's only a guess.

It's really convenient too - all our music is on a NAS drive which I use as a store for all our files/documents. Which means we can get our docs from any computer we're using. And it's easy to backup as everything is in one place.

And we can get our music in a number of rooms - wherever we have a Squeezebox. I also have BubbleUPnP on my Android phone which allows me to access the music on my NAS within the house, rather like a walkman. You can download Squeezebox emulators for your PC too.

Possibly the best bit is we don't have rakes of CDs cluttering the place. This, though, is probably the worst thing too. There's nothing better than leafing through a rack of vinyl (or CDs) to choose your album. Doing it on a computer somehow isn't the same for me.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

simon wrote: There's nothing better than leafing through a rack of vinyl (or CDs) to choose your album. Doing it on a computer somehow isn't the same for me.
Have to agree with you there Simon. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

It's interesting to read about Simon/Phil's obvious love of what I would term the "tangible" experience that physical media provide.

With music, I couldn't care less about the tangibility or not of the media, but with books, I just can't stand electronic readers. There is nothing to beat the turning of pages and holding a book in the hand. Our house is overrun with books of every description. In theory, all our books could be stored on an iPad (other media readers are available) for instant access, but it just would not be the same, and I would read a lot less.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

According to the BBC, for the first time in history (it's gonna start rainin' men) sorry I'll start again.

According to the BBC, for the first time in history, the number one album only sold 10,000 copies. To me, this is the biggest indication yet that the compact disc format has had it.

I reckon in a few years, CD will be dead and the alternative physical format will be the vinyl LP. The last CD I bought was around five years ago. Personally I could never stand vinyl but, I'm sort of glad it came through.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

SteveTheShadow wrote:According to the BBC, for the first time in history (it's gonna start rainin' men) sorry I'll start again.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

:D Made me chuckle as well!

My daughter has never bought a CD in her life...we did one Christmas back for her but she immediately ripped it into itunes and synced her iPod!!

For the really key music buying sector those 14 to 25year olds etc CD is already dead...sure some will be bought but as Steve points out sales are already falling off a cliff and this generation really isn't buying then at all...
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I dare say my CD supplier (charity shops) will have them for a while longer. :wink: :lol:

Edmund Burke

Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Surely there's only so much easy listening any one man can stand? :lol:
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Neal wrote:Surely there's only so much easy listening any one man can stand? :lol:
Well, one might think so, but I haven't reached the limit yet. :lol:

Edmund Burke

The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

You could always use your Des O'Connor records as a fishing aid

Chris :happy3:
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I've lost that piece of paper that gives me the instructions on how to access the software, i.e. how to back up my vortexbox 'juke' NAS

it is something like http//:juke but that doesn't work

help!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

p.s. I read a lot of books - there are many many books all over our house.

I also have a kindle which I take almost everywhere I go. I just read more and more. I have been very surprised about how good the Kindle is. Some books I want to read are not on Kindle. Kindle, for me, is a fiction reader. I prefer using a Kindle to a tablet or even iPad and that has something to do with the gentility of the Kindle screen on my old eyes.

I never thought I would enjoy flipping through a rack of CDs but they are more tangible than a computer screen or an SB Touch. LPs are of course the perfect medium in everyway. I have found that it is so very easy to 'forget' just what music I have on my SB Touch vortexbox and find again and again I just go back to my many favourites. LPs and CDs I believe I play(ed) a more diverse range of music.

There is to much what purpots to be music in the world - don't we just revel in it!!!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

andrew Ivimey wrote:I've lost that piece of paper that gives me the instructions on how to access the software, i.e. how to back up my vortexbox 'juke' NAS

it is something like http//:juke but that doesn't work

help!
http://info.vortexbox.org/tiki-index.php?page=USBbackup
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Aha, first it helps having the vortexbox actually switched on and second it is http//:juke - it works - simple as that.

Thanks for your reply Chris!
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

andrew Ivimey wrote:Aha, first it helps having the vortexbox actually switched on and second it is http//:juke - it works - simple as that.

Thanks for your reply Chris!
Mmmmmm (rubs chin) 8)