Luddite's squeezebox debut.

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I've been given a powered USB hub.

If I connect the "in" port to the Squeezebox will it read multiple memory sticks in the other 4 USB ports ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

I might be wrong but I reckon the SBT will have a paddy with a 4 way port and multiple memory sticks.

When you plug in a USB stick to the USB port in the back it should recognise a USB device being plugged in and give you a dire warning to not unplug a flash drive before pushing the 'Eject USB' button on the SBT. Ignoring this does upset it!Really.

If you've got more than 1 USB stick in action it wont know which one to 'Eject' I'm guessing. Not tried it myself?

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

OK, what about if the "combo" was plugged into the host computer ?

The scenario I'm anticipating is a home mini fest where participants bring their own music (for obvious reasons :wink: ) on USB memory sticks.

Edmund Burke

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Sure, that'd be a better idea I think. Even better if you import any 'test' music into your own music library you could make a 'test' playlist and use the same files on every amp/speaker combo under test at the fest.

Naturally you'd need to give the files back to the owner of the music at the end of the fest mind otherwise Mick Jagger wont be able to buy another holiday Island or summat.

DTB
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Next.

I have a spare hard drive, which is mounted in a powered caddy.

What is the best way to transfer my FLAC to it from "my music" on the main hard drive.

Can it be done en bloc or one album at a time ?

Also, I don't understand how to do backups, never (ever) done one, I must learn very soon. :?

Edmund Burke

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

The way I do it is make a new folder and label it 'Music Backups' and drag and drop all music over in their individual folders.

I'm strict with my file naming protocols (thanks to ChrisMangler), he pointed this out early on thankfully.

So, each album has its own file and file name. Eg...

'John_Martyn_-_Solid Air'

or

'The_Church_Burners_-_Nun Goat Shag Frenzy'

and the like.

In each folder is every track off that album plus 2 x jpgs of not more than 500 x 500 pixels for cover and folder art.

Thats it really.

Simples.

To make another back up I just drag over the foilder named 'Music Backups' onto another HD. It takes a while the 1st time but once you've done it other back ups are only incremental.

DTB
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

So, once my FLAC files are on the E drive, could I use that E drive direct to Squeezebox (via USB port) as a means of transporting my system to Owston without bringing the main computer ?

Edmund Burke

The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Dave the bass wrote:'The_Church_Burners_-_Nun Goat Shag Frenzy'
:shock:
My mum warned me about peoples like you....
Chris :happy3:
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I was going to 'say', Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote:So, once my FLAC files are on the E drive, could I use that E drive direct to Squeezebox (via USB port) as a means of transporting my system to Owston without bringing the main computer ?
I take it the 'E' drive you mean is your ext USB HD?

If so, yeah. But.... there's always a but... the processor in the Touch is slllllloooooooowwwwwwww.

LMS is running on your computer at the moment and you're using its processing power/ability to stream to the Touch. Once you start relying on the Touch alone things slow down a lot because you have to start a simpler version of LMS (called (I think) TinySC). When you plug anything into the USB on the SBT you have to get the Touch to turn on it's own internal server. It then (slowly) works out what you've got on the USB HD you've attached to its USB port.

It's quicker (and usuable) when dealing with smaller USB Flash drives. I use a couple of 8GB and a 32GB jobbies. The 32GB has 'issues' with SBT, I still haven't got to the bottom of why TBH. The 8GB sticks work fine and are cheap.

8GB is still enough storage for a couple of tracks (even in hi res) that you can demo stuff with at a fest or a get together.

DTB
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

It is slower but as long as your music collection isn't too large it works fine.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Good point Ali. Yep, I remember mrI havcing trub's with his when he first played with SBT. I thought I'd try it out for meself with a half full 2TB powered USB HD and it took almost 12hrs to scan all the music. Even then it went flakey and decided it needed to do it all again!

Mine seems happier with Flash Drives.

DTB
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I found it eventually worked fine as long as I didn't use it. Now I use Vortex...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Mine worked fine up to about 250 gb or so, all flac. Started getting flakey after that.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

andrew Ivimey wrote:I found it eventually worked fine as long as I didn't use it. Now I use Vortex...

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."